Variable speed operation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob39

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Can anyone throw any light on the variable speed operation on scroll saws. Such as what thickness/type of wood would you alter the speed to slower/faster speeds and what applications you would alter the speed. Mine goes from 400-1400 cuts per minute

Several things govern what speed you'd find best for any given job. Thick wood can generally benefit from a higher speed than thin wood, but modifying that is the fact that harder woods can sometimes dull your blade in pretty short order especially when run too fast. You also might want want to run at or close to the slowest speed you can manage when cutting metals (which dulls the blades quickly) or acrylic (which melts and heals up the cut behind the blade if cut at a fast speed).

On top of all that there's your reaction speed to consider. I'm pretty doddery my eyesight isn't as good as it used and I have nothing better to so with my time and find that running the saw at half speed gives a much more relaxing and overall pleasant experience than trying to cut quickly to meet a real or imaginary deadline.

Not necessarily very helpful I know, but that's been my experience.

Col.

I have a variable speed saw and as I am very much still learning being an occasional weekend scroll sawer I think the variable speed is a must. It does allow you to slow it down for more detailed work, speed it up when you think that cutting is taking forever and yes, for different types of wood and materials it really helps. My first saw was single speed and it was one of the reasons I upgraded.

Stooby":e0vhtsun said:
I have a variable speed saw and as I am very much still learning being an occasional weekend scroll sawer I think the variable speed is a must. It does allow you to slow it down for more detailed work, speed it up when you think that cutting is taking forever and yes, for different types of wood and materials it really helps. My first saw was single speed and it was one of the reasons I upgraded.

Absolutely agree, IMHO variable speed is essential, I always slow mine down for detailed cutting and very thin work and use the faster speed for thicker materials and hardwoods, I find that if you have the saw running too fast on thin work the blade rips through so quickly you don't have time to think or plan ahead.

In answer to the original question, you soon get used to what speed to run the saw at depending on how accurate you need the work to be or how quickly or which speed is comfortable to use, use the fast speed on a single thickness of 3mm ply and the blade will rush through so quickly it will be difficult to control the blade unless of course it is just a simple straight line you are cutting. :)

Me and my saw are opposites. We both have single speed, the saw's is fast and mine is slow. I'd love variable speed, especially for cutting portraits out of 3mm or 6mm BB ply, but as scrolling is mostly an occasional pastime for me, I can't justify the cost of changing the Hegner single speed for a variable speed.

I wish it were so easy, Col, but Hegners use brushless motors. I did consider using a motor off a budget scroll saw. Once it was adapted, it could probably be swapped over in a few minutes. Whether I could actually be bothered to swap it over when I needed slower speed is another matter. :)

Cheers guys, was doing what's been said but unsure if it was the right thing to do

Back