Van insurance

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I paid just over £500 last year and this year they want over £2000, what is going on, it seems that they are all about the same, I only do less than 2000 miles a year, is it my age, I am 79, does anyone know if I can get it cheaper than that, I am seriously thinking about packing up driving altogether, as the 20-mile limit in London is really ridiculous

I paid just over £500 last year and this year they want over £2000, what is going on, it seems that they are all about the same, I only do less than 2000 miles a year, is it my age, I am 79, does anyone know if I can get it cheaper than that, I am seriously thinking about packing up driving altogether, as the 20-mile limit in London is really ridiculous
Shop around. You should be able to halve it or more. Lots of comparison sites - this is just one: https://www.moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/insurance/

Had good service and price from Quoteline Direct earlier this year, call centre is Manchester based

You mention van insurance in the title of the post. Am I to understand by that, that you need to be insured to use the vehicle for work? I always found that NFU Insurance was quite good in this regard. I'm not sure if it still holds good but their policies automatically covered you for work, rather than just the journey to and from. They might be worth a "punt" to see how they compare. And, you don't have to be a farmworker, or drive a Land Rover to use their services. :giggle:

doesnt matter if its a van either theres been reports of older car drivers being hit with massive premiums as well

As a query, does the van have signage? And did you tell them this.

My friend was in same boat, and removed all signage from his van and that cut his premium by 75%.

Thank you all for your input, I will shop around all the places mentioned above, and see if I can get it reduced, and no Sachakins there is no signage.

Thank you all for your input, I will shop around all the places mentioned above, and see if I can get it reduced, and no Sachakins there is no signage.
Until I gave up owning a car in September '22, I was paying £130 on my Saab, thru Lloyds Bank (a drop from Saga's £350.) I'm 78.

I am with Lloyd's Bank, I will look into this, thank you
I to am with them, but used those 'meercats' to start my search, I think Halifax was slightly cheaper, with Lloyds next, but as I am customer I chose them. They were pretty mean when I cancelled in Sept. '22 after 3 months, only refunding £54 of my (2nd yr.) £130 premium. I like to think I've an excellent driving record, last claim in 1972.

I have to say - I must be incredibly lucky with my car insurance, it came up for renewal a couple of months ago, just around the time this situation became news and..... I expected my renewal to be higher, and much higher than the normal bump (that I always managed to talk them down), but it was lower, only £20, but still lower this year than last. I already had 5 years no claims, but what may be a factor is that I've not changed insurers for 7 years - could it be that having 5 years no claims and 7 years clean driving with the same insurer was a factor?

My friend also uses NFU for his transit and seems to be getting a decent deal, certainly not the £2000 range - that's just insane how they think people would pay it.

I own and insure 2 Van's, a 2.5L 2006 Renault Traffic SWB and a 2.5L 2004 VW Transporter LWB. Both are fully comprehensive policies.
The premiums of both Van's when added together, dont even come to £1000.....Admittedly, I'm a few years younger than you (62) Murphy, but £2000 does seem excessive, especially as you are only doing less than 2k miles a year.

What are you transporting in your van....Dynamite?....Nuclear Waste?....Hungry Lions...?

I own and insure 2 Van's, a 2.5L 2006 Renault Traffic SWB and a 2.5L 2004 VW Transporter LWB. Both are fully comprehensive policies.
The premiums of both Van's when added together, dont even come to £1000.....Admittedly, I'm a few years younger than you (62) Murphy, but £2000 does seem excessive, especially as you are only doing less than 2k miles a year.

What are you transporting in your van....Dynamite?....Nuclear Waste?....Hungry Lions...?
Jacobs political views!!

Back