Vacuum extractor on P/T

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WellsWood

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone here use a vacuum extractor - Camvac / Record - with a Jet P/T?

I'm considering a complete reworking of my DE system and the current plan is to replace my current 3 extractors with one large twin motor, 4" inlet vacuum machine - one of these. I've no issues with the table saw and bandsaw, which are served at present by an Axy ADE 1200, as I reckon they'd both work as well if not better with high vacuum rather than high volume extraction, and I already have a ducted system for routing, sanding and cleanup working off a WV100 the same as Rob is selling. To make the plan viable the new machine has to do all of the above and be capable of dealing with a 12" P/T.

If anybody has a similar setup to what I'm proposing do you have any problems? I could keep the cheap HVLP extractor that is dedicated to the P/T at a push, but ideally I'd like all the space back (the spot it occupies is ideal for the new one) - not to mention the cash towards the new kit.

I have used my RSDE2 with the Jet 260 with no complaints. It gets all the chips. But it does fill up quick.

wizer":msd3nnny said:
I have used my RSDE2 with the Jet 260 with no complaints. It gets all the chips. But it does fill up quick.

Hi Tom and Mark, As Rob (Woodbloke) suggested today to help with the fast filling of our Camvac's when connected to a P/T, one of these on top of a well sealed dustbin would catch the shavings before they entered the extractor.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axmi ... -21891.htm

I spent a little while googling and I am convinced that his idea is very sound, and would help a great deal.

Cheers

Mike

Mark, you mean you didn't spot mine at YOKB? Jet 410 and 3 motor Camvac with a cyclone can between.
It works very well but I feel that for the camvac money there is probably stuff out there that is quieter and better. The camvac is the loudest thing in the shop, I know there are ways of making it quieter (including hiding it in the kitchen).
See you for a coffee soon?

Simon

I run all of my machines with a Record DX4000 - it works well for me. My p/t is a Scheppach 3200 so the same width as your Jet and it seems to handle the chippings fine - there is some minor spillage onto the thicknessing bed, but I have always thought that is a limitation of the planer extraction rather than the extractor itself.

This extractor has a 90l drum, but the DX5000 wall-mounted model has a 200l bag I think. It is only when doing a large amount of planing that I find the capacity fills up quickly.

This is my extraction layout with the permanently attached machines being table saw (Scheppach 4010), Bandsaw (Scheppach 5-4), planer/thicknesser (Scheppach 3200) and Mitre saw (Elektra Beckum) - I have disconnected the mitre saw pipe just to show the layout.

The spindle moulder (Scheppach 3000) is not used so frequently and so gets hooked up as required.

extractorlayout.jpg

I have each of the machines plugged through an automatic switch that turns the extractor on and off - so to operate each machine, all I need to do is open the correct blast gate and close the previously used one (and in the case of the mitre saw and bandsaw switch one of the extractor motors off as it is too powerful and noisy for these two machines).

Here is the wiring layout:

machineryelectrics.jpg

As has been said before, (and being discussed in this thread from Matt https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/outs ... 40846.html) the noise made by this twin motor extractor is the loudest thing in the workshop and on my long to do list is to build a sound proofed enclosure.

cheers

Interesting. You mention extraction being too powerful for a couple of machines. What actually happens if you run both motors? Is it too powerful for the extraction port or too powerful for the volume of dust created? I'm suspecting the former given the volume and spray from a mitre saw?

matt":26fnuqbf said:
Interesting. You mention extraction being too powerful for a couple of machines. What actually happens if you run both motors? Is it too powerful for the extraction port or too powerful for the volume of dust created? I'm suspecting the former given the volume and spray from a mitre saw?

In the case of the mitre saw, it tends to suck the flexible pipe up because, as you say, the extraction port is more restricted (although the connection is 100mm) - the two motors together have alot of suck. In the case of the bandsaw, I find that one is enough and usually switch the other off just to reduce the noise (the bandsaw itself being very quiet)

cheers

Many thanks for the replies chaps, looks like your combined input has cost me another dent in the credit card :wink:

Mark, you mean you didn't spot mine at YOKB? Jet 410 and 3 motor Camvac with a cyclone can between.
No Simon, I didn't. Actually I could have sworn you had one of Axminsters new cyclonic units hiding in the alcove behind the planer - but there were a lot of distractions that day 8)
BTW I'm down your way tomorrow (Pembury), could pop in afterwards if you're about?

Filling up quickly won't be a particular issue as the model I'm going for is wall mounted with a waste sack slung underneath. A clever bit of design using a spring loaded flap at the bottom of the drum means the bag is never subjected to vacuum forces, so the bag size is only limited by the space below the machine.
To those that have expressed concern over noise levels all I can say is that I heard the machine runing yesterday and could not beleive how quiet it was - quieter than the ADE 1200, and much much quieter than my current small vacuum. The loudest aspect is the exhaust port - levels here dropped significantly once the screw on adapter was removed, so I reckon venting it to the far end of the workshop would work wonders.

Even taking into account what I'm likely to get back on the resale of my existing kit this is still going to cost me a bob or two, but being able to get the filtration on the T/S and bandsaw in particular down to 0.5 micron has got to be worth it.

Unless I can think of a good reason not to go ahead (believe it or not I really don't like to part with my cash) I'll probably nip down and get it later today. Watch this space for a quick review once it's up and running.

Does the extractor you're looking at have the option to vent the exhaust via a pipe - either to outside (filtering down to 0 micron! :)) or simply to elsewhere in the shop where volume mat be lessened?

matt":3ui7bn2u said:
Does the extractor you're looking at have the option to vent the exhaust via a pipe - either to outside (filtering down to 0 micron! :)) or simply to elsewhere in the shop where volume mat be lessened?

Oh yes 8)

WellsWood":2rkr2o7b said:
No Simon, I didn't. Actually I could have sworn you had one of Axminsters new cyclonic units hiding in the alcove behind the planer

That one is connected to the saw,

Oryxdesign":1m3sipj0 said:
WellsWood":1m3sipj0 said:
BTW I'm down your way tomorrow (Pembury), could pop in afterwards if you're about?

Be great to see you, I think Toms coming down too.

Tom says he's planning on Friday, which I can't do sadly.

Latest posts

Back