100mm vacuum extractor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will be fine using this at 50mm due to the higher pressure than a conventional chip extractor which would be a disaster at 50mm down from 100mm. This is sort of a half way house and not a bad compromise at all because they are resilient to hose diameter changes. A chip extractor is terrible here and adding any pipe to one whether same or smaller diameter / ribbed etc will cause MASSIVE changes in flow rates. so do not trust specs! This extractor does not have those compromises so will be fine at 50mm but will also make a decent stab at a planer / thicknesses 100mm / 63mm if pushed. Keep all pipe lengths to be as short as possible for best performance. As performance drop off is modest then adding baffle / cyclone is a very realistic(and recommended) option.

Roboboyo, this is mine its a Clark dust extractor with a home made (by me) cyclone attached to 60ltr drum. The pipes that run round the workshop are 68mm guttering with associated fittings. It only goes to my Chopsaw and my lathe but we are moving house soon so I havent connected anything else. The suction is very good so going down to 68mm from 100mm has not impaired it.
Thanks Transit80
do you think it will be ok to step down from 100mm to 68 before the cyclone ?
(With a reducer plugged to 68mm cyclone??

Thanks Transit80
I would think you would want to keep it at 100mm as long as possible? At least up to the cyclone if not beyond??

I could be wrong!!

Thanks Transit80
Not really sure but I would think that keeping 100mm into the cyclone would be the best idea as it would give maximum suction at the right point (as far as I know).

Chris

Wed Berram Exum Tae.

You will be fine using this at 50mm due to the higher pressure than a conventional chip extractor which would be a disaster at 50mm down from 100mm. This is sort of a half way house and not a bad compromise at all because they are resilient to hose diameter changes. A chip extractor is terrible here and adding any pipe to one whether same or smaller diameter / ribbed etc will cause MASSIVE changes in flow rates. so do not trust specs! This extractor does not have those compromises so will be fine at 50mm but will also make a decent stab at a planer / thicknesses 100mm / 63mm if pushed. Keep all pipe lengths to be as short as possible for best performance. As performance drop off is modest then adding baffle / cyclone is a very realistic(and recommended) option.
Thanks for the quote, so you think it will be ok to use the 100mm duct and adapt it to fit a 50mm cyclone ? And carry on from 50mm to my gates and tools?

Best advice I can give is keep all pipe length as short as possible and change to smaller diameter at the last possible opportunity. Keep the 'stretchy' hose we all love to minimum length if possible (I often fail here as too convenient!).

It will make no difference which ever way you do it, even 50mm all the way, Now if you were running 2 or 3 motors that's a different thing you would first need to bolt down both the extractor and cyclone as the suction would be dragging them both all around your shop as the corrugated pipe reduced in length thus solid pipe work would need to be used

here is my setup guys

68mm downpipe running under the bench up into the worktop and through the middle to blast gates.

im really considering just having the one pipe and using the c tec quick click pipe for a standalone solution and ditching the blast gates and numerous junctions that are probably hindering suction what do you guys think?
the pipe in the middle is my hover by the way

Attachments

• workshop 1.jpg
    workshop 1.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 0
Back