100mm vacuum extractor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roboboyo

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guys.

so was was given a dust extractor as a present witch I now have to keep!

I’m confused as to know if it’s in the shop vac category or the chip collector category. Either way I was hoping to use it in a system with blast gates and a cyclone. My problem is, it’s inlet hose is 100mm and all of my machine ports are in the 45 to 50mm size range. Would I be seriously restriction if I stepped down from 100 mm from the extractor to the 60mm cyclone using reducing adapters and then on from the cyclone to 50mm ducts?.
Here below is the machine I have. Any advice appreciated
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cwve1-vacuum-dust-extractor-230v/

Yes not ideal....

I think it's a hvlp (high volume low pressure extractor ideal for p/t, table saws, moulders etc.

For tools like bandsaws, Sanders etc you really need a hplv vacuum like a Henry / numatic etc.

Keep it for when you get bigger machinery.

James it is a HPLV like a shop vac.

Roboboyo if it were mine I would hook it up to a 4" cyclone and then branch it off to the smaller tools but leave a second port open to maintain the flow through the ducts and cooling through the motor if it gets the air that way. On tools like a router table or table saw where above and below collection are a benefit you will have ample flow for both pickup points.

Pete

Roboboyo if it were mine I would hook it up to a 4" cyclone and then branch it off to the smaller tools but leave a second port open to maintain the flow through the ducts and cooling through the motor if it gets the air that way. On tools like a router table or table saw where above and below collection are a benefit you will have ample flow for both pickup points.

Pete
Is it?🤔🤔🤔

Pete
Thanks for the reply, sorry to sound dumb but what do you mean by leaving a second port open?

Also, would I be able to install blast gates.

the machines I have are a Bandsaw, belt and disc sander, mitre saw and a table saw

Thanks for the reply, sorry to sound dumb but what do you mean by leaving a second port open?

Also, would I be able to install blast gates.

the machines I have are a Bandsaw, belt and disc sander, mitre saw and a table saw

Not dumb. By second port would mean 2 of the 45/55mm ducts/ports open into the 100mm main duct. If you only use one hose the amount of air flowing through may not be enough to cool the motor. With airflow restricted or blocked the motor is actually not working as hard since it is only spinning the air but most shop vacs rely on air flowing through filters and then out through the motor to cool it. Low flow for a short bit of time isn't a problem but longer durations can. Make sense?

Pete

Not dumb. By second port would mean 2 of the 45/55mm ducts/ports open into the 100mm main duct. If you only use one hose the amount of air flowing through may not be enough to cool the motor. With airflow restricted or blocked the motor is actually not working as hard since it is only spinning the air but most shop vacs rely on air flowing through filters and then out through the motor to cool it. Low flow for a short bit of time isn't a problem but longer durations can. Make sense?

Pete
Please forgive me for my lack of knowledge

so are you saying something like this?

100mm from extractor to cyclone, then a y connection from cyclone with one port open to air and the 2nd port heading towards my machines ?
Really appreciate your help

Please forgive me for my lack of knowledge

so are you saying something like this?

100mm from extractor to cyclone, then a y connection from cyclone with one port open to air and the 2nd port heading towards my machines ?
Really appreciate your help
Not be necessarily. Just multidrop the whole run on one branch an the leave two smaller outlets open at a time.

Not be necessarily. Just multidrop the whole run on one branch an the leave two smaller outlets open at a time.
Thanks, so leave the blast gates open on 2 machines? Sorry but I’m clueless with dust extraction and it’s arguably the most important tool in the workshop 🤦🏻‍♂️

Would this be an example of a multi drop from one branch??
245B2CF2-C56B-4712-A854-C4C788FC8B8F.jpeg

I think you should run a 100mm to a 100mm inlet/outlet Dust Deputy type cyclone. A 100mm duct along the length of your shop with wyes ( a 45º branch off the straight line of the main run) where you want a drop to a machine. Reduce it to the smaller hose there and put the blast gate there or at the machine. Keep the one you need open to gather dust and a second branch open at the same time to keep the flow up through the cyclone and extractor. You don't want to use 90º T fittings, like the one in the picture above because they have more turbulence therefore drag than a wye. Putting a Y fitting at the cyclone entrance is turbulent and affects the dust separation in the cyclone. Put a straight section for a couple feet or so to allow the air to straighten out before entering the cyclone.

Pete

It's a vacuum cleaner with a 100mm inlet use it as such, If you leave 2 ports open you will lose half your suction, the 100mm pipe just makes it easier to connect to say a table saw or thicknesser that has a 100mm port

I think you should run a 100mm to a 100mm inlet/outlet Dust Deputy type cyclone. A 100mm duct along the length of your shop with wyes ( a 45º branch off the straight line of the main run) where you want a drop to a machine. Reduce it to the smaller hose there and put the blast gate there or at the machine. Keep the one you need open to gather dust and a second branch open at the same time to keep the flow up through the cyclone and extractor. You don't want to use 90º T fittings, like the one in the picture above because they have more turbulence therefore drag than a wye. Putting a Y fitting at the cyclone entrance is turbulent and affects the dust separation in the cyclone. Put a straight section for a couple feet or so to allow the air to straighten out before entering the cyclone.

Pete

thanks Pete!!! Your explanation was spot on and I understand now. Ps, what is a Wye? Many 😊
Have a read of this: A guide to dust extraction by member siggy_7 Sorry to say this, but that vacuum extractor is only good enough for small tools even though the manufacturer was trying to fool you with a 100mm inlet.
I only have small tools. Bench top bandsaw, benchtop sander and mitre saw. All my machines have 50mm ports or less

Roboboyo, this is mine its a Clark dust extractor with a home made (by me) cyclone attached to 60ltr drum. The pipes that run round the workshop are 68mm guttering with associated fittings. It only goes to my Chopsaw and my lathe but we are moving house soon so I havent connected anything else. The suction is very good so going down to 68mm from 100mm has not impaired it.

Attachments

• IMG_1248.JPG
    IMG_1248.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1249.JPG
    IMG_1249.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1262.JPG
    IMG_1262.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1263.JPG
    IMG_1263.JPG