Dust Extractor for small shop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supertom44

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting myself a new bandsaw soon, possibly a SABRE-450 or similar.

As such I'm going to need a dust/chip extractor that can support 100mm inlet.

Space is the biggest limiting factor unfortunately, looking around the two main options seem to be either a wall mounted unit or a drum unit.

Wall mounted example: Axminster Workshop AW37E Dust Extractor - 230V
Drum exmaple: CGV286-4 Compact Extractor with 2 Metres of Hose and Easy-Fit Cuff

I'd like to also use it for my thicknesser/planer and possibly a table saw in the future should I upgrade from my conotractor saw.

Wondering if anyone had any opinions on which would be best or if there are alternative options.

Cheers.

I have a smaller size bandsaw and CGV286-4. When I used the CGV286-4 with that bandsaw, I had to clean the sawdust after every sawing session. The problem is that on almost all bandsaws, the dust extraction port is nowhere near the dust source.

Then I realized that I never use the table tilting mechanism, which meant I could add a simple modification to collect dust at the source. My current setup consists of a PVC pipe (see photo) connected to a domestic bagless Hoover that I got for £5 at a car-boot sale. Since implementing this change, I very seldom have to clean up after sawing. The only thing left to do is empty the Hoover (its dust box is transparent, so I can easily see when it needs to be done).

Photo from "under the table"
1689266317286.png

And here is my dust extraction "hero"
1689266363881.png

Video that originally inspired my bandsaw "upgrade"

I'm thinking about getting myself a new bandsaw soon, possibly a SABRE-450 or similar.

As such I'm going to need a dust/chip extractor that can support 100mm inlet.

Space is the biggest limiting factor unfortunately, looking around the two main options seem to be either a wall mounted unit or a drum unit.

Wall mounted example: Axminster Workshop AW37E Dust Extractor - 230V
Drum exmaple: CGV286-4 Compact Extractor with 2 Metres of Hose and Easy-Fit Cuff

I'd like to also use it for my thicknesser/planer and possibly a table saw in the future should I upgrade from my conotractor saw.

Wondering if anyone had any opinions on which would be best or if there are alternative options.

Cheers.
I have a rexon one which is the same as the axi one you have linked - bought it second hand is about 25 years old but works brilliantly for my P/T. Would highly reccomend that style.

I also have a dustbin type extractor which I use for the chop saw, router etc, its more of a high-pressure, Low-volume one, which means it isn't great for the P/T or similar.

I have a tiny workshop (6'x8') but genuinely believe that these two machines are maybe the most important things I have in there. In a small workshop dust/chips quickly fill it up and make the space unusable. Each type has their own uses but if I had to settle for one i'd take one of the bag extraction types (like the axi one you have linked) and accept that it won't be as good if you have to reduce the diameter for a machine (only a problem if you have something with a smaller inlet). Ovbiously the challenge with a small shop is being ingenous with where and how you house them.

There are tonnes on ebay and facebook marketplace etc all perfectly good. Why not spend £50 on a used one and see how you get on with it - if it doesn't work as youd hoped nothing major lost and can sell it and try the other type. They are simple contraptions so not really much to go wrong or wear.

Ebay Dustbin HPLV type - £36 at the moment

Ebay Chip HVLP type 1 - £30 at the moment and it looks nearly new!!

Ebay Chip HVLP type 2

Ebay the axi one youve linked but with the upgraded filtration system

Facebook the axi one you linked

Last edited:
I have a rexon one which is the same as the axi one you have linked - bought it second hand is about 25 years old but works brilliantly for my P/T. Would highly reccomend that style.

I also have a dustbin type extractor which I use for the chop saw, router etc, its more of a high-pressure, Low-volume one, which means it isn't great for the P/T or similar.

I have a tiny workshop (6'x8') but genuinely believe that these two machines are maybe the most important things I have in there. In a small workshop dust/chips quickly fill it up and make the space unusable. Each type has their own uses but if I had to settle for one i'd take one of the bag extraction types (like the axi one you have linked) and accept that it won't be as good if you have to reduce the diameter for a machine (only a problem if you have something with a smaller inlet). Ovbiously the challenge with a small shop is being ingenous with where and how you house them.

There are tonnes on ebay and facebook marketplace etc all perfectly good. Why not spend £50 on a used one and see how you get on with it - if it doesn't work as youd hoped nothing major lost and can sell it and try the other type. They are simple contraptions so not really much to go wrong or wear.

Ebay Dustbin HPLV type - £36 at the moment

Ebay Chip HVLP type 1 - £30 at the moment and it looks nearly new!!

Ebay Chip HVLP type 2

Ebay the axi one youve linked but with the upgraded filtration system
Thanks for the reply. I have a festool dust extractor for tools/machines that require smaller diameter with a cyclone that sits under one of my work benches.

I didn't realise they go for so cheap second hand, I'll have a look around my area see what I can find.

Thanks for the reply. I have a festool dust extractor for tools/machines that require smaller diameter with a cyclone that sits under one of my work benches.

I didn't realise they go for so cheap second hand, I'll have a look around my area see what I can find.
Another of the axi ones here in derby, maybe near you?

yeah they seem to go shockingly cheap. I got my rexon one (pictured) for £40 posted including a length of hose. It can be mounted on the wall, on the floor, on it's side or upside down. I have it in a cabinet, right side up, bag pointing out - photos at the bottom on this thread. I have to open the cabinet door to give it room for the bag to inflate when it's in use. I just don't see the point in spending hundreds on this sort of thing, they arent precision tools which need to be accurate or mechanically complex with lots to go wrong, i'd rather use the money for a better tracksaw/decent router bits etc.

The only annoying thing about those ones (with the single combined filtration/extraction bag) is that the bag acts both as the filter AND the collection bag. With the bigger ones that have separate filters and bags, its just a plastic bag you empty or chuck away when full. With these ones you have to empty the bag and give it an occasional blow out with an air line or shake it in the garden etc. I put mine through the washing machine probably twice a year and it comes out great, particularly given its an old machine.

Obviously if I had a larger workshop i'd try and get one of the types which has the filter above the bag as it is easier to empty those (like this one also near you). I cannot forsee a time in my life where I would choose to buy a new one, even if i won the lottery!

Attachments

• 87013_l.jpg
    87013_l.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 0
Another of the axi ones here in derby, maybe near you?

yeah they seem to go shockingly cheap. I got my rexon one (pictured) for £40 posted including a length of hose. It can be mounted on the wall, on the floor, on it's side or upside down. I have it in a cabinet, right side up, bag pointing out - photos at the bottom on this thread. I have to open the cabinet door to give it room for the bag to inflate when it's in use. I just don't see the point in spending hundreds on this sort of thing, they arent precision tools which need to be accurate or mechanically complex with lots to go wrong, i'd rather use the money for a better tracksaw/decent router bits etc.

The only annoying thing about those ones (with the single combined filtration/extraction bag) is that the bag acts both as the filter AND the collection bag. With the bigger ones that have separate filters and bags, its just a plastic bag you empty or chuck away when full. With these ones you have to empty the bag and give it an occasional blow out with an air line or shake it in the garden etc. I put mine through the washing machine probably twice a year and it comes out great, particularly given its an old machine.

Obviously if I had a larger workshop i'd try and get one of the types which has the filter above the bag as it is easier to empty those (like this one also near you). I cannot forsee a time in my life where I would choose to buy a new one, even if i won the lottery!
Mounting it under your planer is a great idea. My planer is currently sitting on it's own dedicated trolly and under it is just a space where I put things I can't think where else to put them ha.

Never thought of placing one under something. Hmmm this has definately given me something to think about. Will take a look in my workshop later and see if it would be possible to mount it under my planer.

This is the space I have available. The bandsaw will be going on the right where my drill press and thicknesser are, those are being moved to the other end of the workshop. My planer is on the left with table saw and router in the foreground.

I could in theory fit a larger dust extractor but it would block the door completely which I'm not too keen on the idea.
PXL_20230714_061512974.jpg

Made a discovery, if I nudge my workbenches about 20mm more away from the wall that will give me 400mm of gap which means I could fit a unit like this in: Axminster Workshop AW82E Dust Extractor - 230V.

Currently all that's there is some xps foam I used when cutting large sheets on the floor and my cyclone for my festool extractor. I can move the cyclone either further down next to my mft or bring it close to my table saw. That would give me enough room to a large unit such as the one linked above.

Oh and excuse the mess, I made this discovery while working on several projects ha.

PXL_20230715_140058682.jpg

Back