Small shop dust extractor - Rutlands or Record?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carruthers

Reaction score
Hello folks

Recently got into woodturning and it’s already very clear to me I need to get some dust extractor for at least the sanding element - holding my Titan vacuum up near whilst sanding just isn’t cutting it, or totally safe, and still my garage workshop is covered in fine dust.

Id like to get a small relatively cheap unit, and have whittled it down to either the Rutlands fine dust collector (50l) or the Record DX1000.

I was wondering if anyone has experiences of either, or even better, both that they could share?

Reading the reviews if the Rutland it does sound fab, but the only off putting element is the very loud noise levels quoted time and time again. I’m quite conscious of noise, living on a new build estate with my garage (and it’s lack of sound insulation) being my workshop. Plus a small, nap taking child asleep as times! I envisage I would be using this quite a lot whilst woodturning. Does anyone have experience of either a noise levels?

Many thanks in advance!
Gavin

If you add a small cyclone (£20) & collection bin in line, then you can use any vacuum cleaner you want.
- Plastic Dust Separation Collector Cyclone Separator Vacuums Cleaners Filter Tool | eBay

I use rainwater drain pipe & bends for the majority of my dust collection but I can add a rainwater hopper to increase the size of the mouth. The bottom end has a wooden adaptor to take the vacuum cleaner hose. Perhaps a good first wood turning project.

Lathe dust 2.jpg

Thanks for the reply!

I have considered these - indeed it would be quite a fun build! - although my thoughts were the extra drag from all the tubing, bends and collection vessel would render the pull not very effective, not to mention any sizing up of tubing/ ducting - (far far from an expert but my job touching on LEV systems sometimes)

Does yours work well though?

I use a shop vac with a Thien Baffle instead of a cyclone which is less efficient but the extra height makes a cyclone too unwieldy. Pipe run is approx 600mm so very little loss of suction. Long spindles would require moving the dust spout but mostly it sits in one position. As I said, a rainwater hopper, either horizontally or vertically widens the catchment area.

Shop Vac 1.jpg

Last edited:
If you add a small cyclone (£20) & collection bin in line, then you can use any vacuum cleaner you want.
- Plastic Dust Separation Collector Cyclone Separator Vacuums Cleaners Filter Tool | eBay

I use rainwater drain pipe & bends for the majority of my dust collection but I can add a rainwater hopper to increase the size of the mouth. The bottom end has a wooden adaptor to take the vacuum cleaner hose. Perhaps a good first wood turning project.

View attachment 172914
Love this - what a great idea - thank you!

Not sure I’d rely on Rutland reviews - they seem to have a track record of forgetting to publish any that are anything other than glowing …
Yeah I was quite surprised by the outstanding reviews…then I looked at another item… perfect reviews also….

Decided to not go with Rutlands for the time being anyway

I use a shop vac with a Thien Baffle instead of a cyclone which is less efficient but the extra height makes a cyclone too unwieldy. Pipe run is approx 600mm so very little loss of suction. Long spindles would require moving the dust spout but mostly it sits in one position. As I said, a rainwater hopper, either horizontally or vertically widens the catchment area.

View attachment 172979
Looks great, going to give it a go!

I have one of the smaller Rutland blower/vacuums.

https://www.rutlands.com/products/blower-and-vacuum
Would this be powerful enough to connect to a cyclone dust collector or will it be so weak as to not collect anything?
Nominally it's the same 600w as a Henry hoover but it seems comparing vacuums is pretty difficult as even if they specify some sort of flow rate they all use different metrics and then the diameter will also have an impact.

I’ll leave it to the pros to advise! Instinctively (with no evidence to back this up) it doesn’t look powerful enough, but Henry’s seem to have decent power!

I have one of the smaller Rutland blower/vacuums.

https://www.rutlands.com/products/blower-and-vacuum
Would this be powerful enough to connect to a cyclone dust collector or will it be so weak as to not collect anything?
Nominally it's the same 600w as a Henry hoover but it seems comparing vacuums is pretty difficult as even if they specify some sort of flow rate they all use different metrics and then the diameter will also have an impact.
Probably similar to a Henry tbh...

I was looking for a dust extractor for my tiny workshop and found a little 'microclene' cylinder extractor on FB, new for £35. Super simple but ideal for my shop and now plugged into a smart socket so I can control it via Alexa or my phone. Now I just have to get out there and give the shop a thorough clean up to remove the piles of dust all over everything. I feel for the poor spiders whose webs are sagging under the load of wood dust!

Attachments

• 1704793368104463102875316880134.jpg
    1704793368104463102875316880134.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I was looking for a dust extractor for my tiny workshop and found a little 'microclene' cylinder extractor on FB, new for £35. Super simple but ideal for my shop and now plugged into a smart socket so I can control it via Alexa or my phone. Now I just have to get out there and give the shop a thorough clean up to remove the piles of dust all over everything. I feel for the poor spiders whose webs are sagging under the load of wood dust!
Hmm, I don't think this is going to cut the mustard. It won't take suck up all the dust you create with sanding e.g..
Unless you have got a hoover as well? Just curious as Gavin wanted a proper dust extracor?

Quite so, Themack. I also have an adapted powered respirator (Trend Airshield) to protect my lungs and a Titan shop vac, with cyclone bucket, to hook up to individual tools as I use them - and for general clean up. The Microclene is more to take dust out of the air to keep it from gathering on every surface. It will be used in tandem with a compressor and blower for an occasional thorough dusting.

I do like the idea of secondry ‘passive’ type collection too, as even the best dust extraction at source isn’t fully effective. I’ve eyed up the record power type ones that fix to the ceiling but can’t really justify the cost. Seems you got a good deal at £35 though.

Bought a blue tub being sold here and intend to make a cyclone and test that for effectiveness before buying anything else.

Been playing around with homemade cardboard prototype collection hoods hooked up to my vacuum for lathe sanding extraction and so far they have been amazingly effective!

My home made dust collection hood for my lathe is made from a 5 Lt plastic container with one side cut out. The vac hose fits nicely in what was the top. I also have an 'enclosure' around the lathe, repurposed from a large cardboard box, to contain most of the shavings.

Would love to see a few photos for inspiration if you’re willing. I’ve seen the odd home hilt Perspex one on here which looks great but couldn’t find it again

Like @Robbo3, I recommend using a small Thein type separator with a vacuum.
I did have a Thein Baffle and "upgraded" it to a Top Hat design. It wasn't too hard to build and the only fiddly bit was heating and shaping the PVC pipes to get a square section on the inlet and a bell mouth on the outlet.
My arrangement works OK but I think I could rearrange it to fit in a smaller space - like @Robbo3 has. The Parkside vac has heaps of suction and using the larger hoses seems to help the airflow. I get some very minor dust in the vac and have swapped the bag and filter for a bit of pantyhose.

dustcollection.png

I have used the same model of Microclene for many years, suspended over my lathe. It is efficient at removing airborne dust providing the size of your workshop matches the model of the extractor. I found filter replacement expensive but a cheaper alternative was to buy sheets of filter medium and cut it to size, available from RS Components.

Back