Dust extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a plan, if it does not work out do what I do, go to plan B what ever that might be.
Have A Great Day.

The slow boat from China must've had a tail wind. Got my tiny dust cyclone today, a good week earlier than Amazon was telling me to expect it. I'm away in Newcastle for the weekend to watch my daughter doing the Great North Run, so building my quiet dust extraction system will have to wait till next week. I think it looks really neat, just like a turbocharger 😁.
Look's nice, what is that cyclone made out of? it looks sort of like aluminum. How does this hook up?
When you get it up and running, everyone would like to see pictures, or I know I would for sure.
Have fun and A Great Day.

@SaintD56 I will post some pics when I make it.

It is all aluminium or possibly even aluminum 😁.

Here's a schematic of the general idea...

Attachments

• cyclone-is-king_xl.jpg
    cyclone-is-king_xl.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 0
My quiet dust extraction system is a success 👍😊.

It is whisper quiet, and once the Hegner is started, the blower fan can't be heard at all. I've checked with a torch below and above the table whilst cutting, and there is now ZERO atmospheric dust. The dust is now sucked away instantly at the source. Some of the heavier dust still drops, but all the dust that used to obscure the cutting line is taken away immediately. My bellows has hardened over time and wasn't doing its job anyway, so now I won't need to bother buying new bellows. I've watched the blower outlet closely to see if any dust is getting all the way through the dust cyclone and out again, but see nothing, it all collects in the box below the cyclone. Even so, my next little job is to make an adaptor to fit the dust bag from my electric planer over the outlet just in case.

At some stage I may try a slightly more powerful fan, like a bathroom ceiling fan that may even remove all the heavier stuff, but for now I'm really pleased and feel safe to scroll without a dust mask.

Here's some pics...

Attachments

• 20221007_103104.jpg
    20221007_103104.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221006_154156.jpg
    20221006_154156.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221007_103345.jpg
    20221007_103345.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221007_104515.jpg
    20221007_104515.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221007_131714.jpg
    20221007_131714.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221007_131740.jpg
    20221007_131740.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Nice job, I like the work that you have put into this project. You are definitely an inspiration to the scroll saw community, thank you for your time and effort making your ideals and finished project available to us. Now I have new ideals for my own set up thanks to you. Have A Great Day.

That's a really cool project, well done (y)
it would be interesting to have one of those air quality monitors available so you could test it with and without the planer filter bag in place

Here is a link to another forum's sticky that discusses noise reduction and the way to organize the baffles. Yours look a little tight for the air to flow easily. You're on the right track though.

Pete
I found that forum hard going, the pictures are all clickable only as opposed to embedded, makes it really hard work! Maybe I'm just too lazy but despite being interested in the information I just gave up looking...

I found that forum hard going, the pictures are all clickable only as opposed to embedded, makes it really hard work! Maybe I'm just too lazy but despite being interested in the information I just gave up looking...
I’ve been on woodworking forums for a couple decades and evolved with them. Clicking on a picture is fine by me. My pet peeve is with people that don’t resize pictures to something that will load faster. I don’t have super fast internet so the big ones take forever to load. Too long on something that isn’t real important and I stop and read another thread so I sort of understand but not really.

Pete

Back