Small HVLP extractors (Axminster AW37E / Charnwood W685 / Clarke CDE35B / Rexon DE-1000A)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sams93

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to buy one of these rather compact extractor units at a reasonable cost. I am thinking of buying it to improve the extraction for my planer and trying to build it into the cabinet I will make for my planer to sit on.

I really don't have much room so it might be that once I buy it and use it for a couple of weeks I decide it isn't worth the space and end up selling it, but I was just wondering if anyone else has experience using these smaller models and how they get on with them. As far as I can tell they are all basically the same thing just under different brands.

Clarke one , Axi one ,
C87A1B8A-C111-46FD-9ED6-ED08214475E8-huge.jpg

My current set up is a HPLV system like this but with a cyclone attached. I would obviously expect some improvement on this.

DC50.jpg

I have a rexon version of the Clarke model works fine tbh.

However the chip bag is also the filter bag so the fills up quicker than a larger dual bag machine.

If you have the space I'd recommend a bigger system for this reason but if space is limited then you can't.

I think the Clarke style with the bag will be better for your ears but worse for your lungs.

I think the Clarke style with the bag will be better for your ears but worse for your lungs.
I intend to keep the HPLV dust extractor as well. The new clarke style one will be just for the P/T which I don't expect to produce much in the way of fine dust so hopefully it wont kill me.

........will be just for the P/T which I don't expect to produce much in the way of fine dust so hopefully it wont kill me.

I've posted this picture in here before but it bares repeating.

What you are looking at is a 7" wide planer cutting about 2mm from an oak pew without a dust collector on it. The heavier and bigger chips flying out just above the board. Knives were sharp. The setting sun coming through the window shows the cloud of fine dust rising into the air to float throughout the shop. Fine dust behaves like a gas and being warm from the cutting action of the planer, rises. It can take hours to settle out. The little DC you are getting will never get all the dust a P/T generates. You would need a DC capable of 3 times the airflow so wear a good dust mask when you work and for a few hour after.

Pete

IMG_5675.jpg

Back