Using oilstones with water?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AndyT":o27ih4ff said:
Jim

Could it be time for you to treat yourself to this?

hones.jpg

Only £10 from http://www.taths.org.uk/publications.htm

...or are you just gathering material for a new edition?!

I really should get that book Andy....but I think it might encourage me down another slope...wouldn't want to be called a collector now would I!? :mrgreen:

I don't see any online shop...I suppose it's the old "contact the treasurer" method needed here?

Jim

woodbloke":152f6383 said:
AndyT":152f6383 said:
Jim

Could it be time for you to treat yourself to this?

hones.jpg

Only £10 from http://www.taths.org.uk/publications.htm

...or are you just gathering material for a new edition?!
Good grief, that would suit Jim right down to the ground...a light spot of bedtime reading! He doesn't get out much anyway :mrgreen: :lol: ...mind you, it's the season of deeply filled buckets of rust coming up soon, so all that's going to change :lol: - Rob

Indeed Rob! 4th March...! I have already booked leave for every Sunday in March!

I wonder if they have approximate values...I need to find out if the one I pictured above which may or may not come from Leicestershire is worth more than the 50p I paid for it! :mrgreen:

Jim

jimi43":2x13fheo said:
I really should get that book Andy....but I think it might encourage me down another slope...wouldn't want to be called a collector now would I!? :mrgreen:

I don't see any online shop...I suppose it's the old "contact the treasurer" method needed here?

Jim

Well, look at it this way... when you are back in business in your pre-dawn muddy field, this book will help you tell the Turkey stones from the plain turkeys - and so help maximise your milling machine fund, or whatever it's called! And I do think you would enjoy it.

To buy stuff from TATHS, contact them through the website; they will post out to you and then invoice you by Paypal or wait for you to send a cheque. All very gentlemanly.

ali27":2qk29bu1 said:
What would happen if you used an oilstone with water?

Ali
Nothing spectacular. If you really want to know why not try it?
Re oil and water mixing, stones or fluids, no problem whichever way you go - sounds like a bad idea but what you get is an emulsion which dilutes steadily if you stick with one or the other fluid.

AndyT":j4ins0c4 said:
jimi43":j4ins0c4 said:

Jim

Well, look at it this way... when you are back in business in your pre-dawn muddy field, this book will help you tell the Turkey stones from the plain turkeys - and so help maximise your milling machine fund, or whatever it's called! And I do think you would enjoy it.

To buy stuff from TATHS, contact them through the website; they will post out to you and then invoice you by Paypal or wait for you to send a cheque. All very gentlemanly.

I think I would enjoy that publication too Andy...do you have it?

I will be contacting them before the season and get a copy. I normally just buy any natural stone and then check it out later.

That's how I managed to find the coticule...some tw*t had covered it in oil...it was black and unrecognisable and it took some effort to get the oil out of it but it's fine now.....

DSC_0270a.JPG

..............and I just used it to put a very fine edge on an iron. I can see why they cost so much!

Jim

jimi43":3t5czyyw said:
I think I would enjoy that publication too Andy...do you have it?

I don't, but then I'm not a collector, just an accumulator who sometimes likes to know a bit more about the stuff in question. Also, I seem to have a healthy selection of old oilstones including a hard Arkansas, Welsh slate and a few other bits and pieces. I also like the 3M films from WSH. I don't need any more sharpening options!

AndyT":2j6zc0kk said:
.......................I don't, but then I'm not a collector, just an accumulator.........................I seem to have a healthy selection of old oilstones including a hard Arkansas, Welsh slate and a few other bits and pieces...........

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yes mate...not a collector.... :wink:

Jim

woodbloke":7v1kn33t said:
They'd get wet :mrgreen: :mrgreen: - Rob...hasty exit :lol:
Well errr. yes... They'd get wet. No exit! (Unless they have been used with oil. A new one should work well enough.

Oilstones are nothing more than bonded carborundum powder. This is used in powder form to grind lenses, and the vehicle for it is water. (Sometimes mixed with glycerine. ) Usually though just water. So if you are worrying if the stone would work, well a new one should do its job.

8)

Back