Oilstones advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... will work out of flat to some extent
... Just don't be this guy😁
5pwvbzzql9z71.png

I use cheap eBay stones 180 or 220 for any serious reprofiling. The cheap ones seem to all be graded about the same anyway so they make good roughing stones which I don't really care too much about and keep the nice ones for finesse

... Just don't be this guy😁
View attachment 154764

I use cheap eBay stones 180 or 220 for any serious reprofiling. The cheap ones seem to all be graded about the same anyway so they make good roughing stones which I don't really care too much about and keep the nice ones for finesse
Is that Jacob's stone to get the curve on his blades automatically?

Is that Jacob's stone to get the curve on his blades automatically?
I've got a coarse stone with a curve almost as bad as that and it's perfect for sharpening an axe, which I guess is how it acquired the curve. Also good for rapid grinding of a heavy woody plane blade.

I've got a coarse stone with a curve almost as bad as that and it's perfect for sharpening an axe, which I guess is how it acquired the curve. Also good for rapid grinding of a heavy woody plane blade.
Just out of interest Jacob, how do you remove the burr when using a curved stone? Is it possible or do you need a flattish stone for that. I'm not too interested in learning to use the palm of my hand!

Just out of interest Jacob, how do you remove the burr when using a curved stone? Is it possible or do you need a flattish stone for that. I'm not too interested in learning to use the palm of my hand!
With the axe I'd grind both sides so no burr.
I'd only grind a heavy woody blade with a stone like that and then take the burr off on a flat one.
Obvious really. In any case a dished stone may still have a flat enough bit at the end, side, etc.
Thin plane blades I never grind at all, just hone on a finer stone. That's the whole point of thin blades - ease of sharpening.
Doesn't do to over think these things or you end up with modern sharpening madness and all that goes with it! o_O

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back