Used Felder or Hammer Combination machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
katellwood":1krltz7s said:
what about a cf 531 not quite up to the spec of a 731 but nearly there (the only obvious difference as I can see is that the spindle is not interchangeable from a spindle to router you can select either/or but not both)

New with a 12" planer a felder 531 is now the only option

Yep, I'm sure I'd consider the cf531 as well. Just flicking through some images on line of the cf531 and some have green livery and some have orange. What's the reason for this I wonder?

Cheers for the heads up.
I've definitely seen those pics before as well. Same story also.
Hard to believe that there are so many bids for this machine as well.

Hi
If I'm not too late reading your initial question I offer my comments for what they're worth. (see also my previous comments a year or so ago)

I bought a new CF741 Pro back in 2008 and I can only confirm the previous positive comments already offered, that the quality, reliability and more importantly the repeatability are of the highest level. The latter is of specific importance if you're working on your own; I found that I was forever changing from table saw to planer thicknesser and back again. If I were still in business I would buy a separate table saw/spindle moulder and planer thicknesser

The accuracy of the adjustments is very precise, each complete turn of the handles are all 2mm (height of saw blade, thicknesser table etc.) if you have the optional dials these are marked at 1/10mm and by judging the needle position 1/100mm!! is possible. I'd recommend the powered thicknesser table.

You are right, to have the extender sliding table fitted you will require roughly 4-5 mtrs square (>16 Sq Mtrs) working area. You can get a set of trolley casters to move the thing around, but I would recommend a pallet lifter - they're cheaper and have many other uses.

The only downside I would say is that ANYTHING you require now has to come from Austria, so expect a hefty courier fee, even for the smallest items.

I had to sell my 741, because my partner has MS and now needs my support full time. Good luck with your search, If I can answer any other questions, or you'd like to chat about them please PM me.

David

I'm focusing on the dust in the workshop at the moment and my mitre saw is the biggest culprit by a distance.

I'm thinking of selling it off once I get a combination machine. Am I correct in assuming any task the mitre saw can be replicated on the format section of the Felder or hammer (or even a minimax!!!).

I've been pondering this and I don't see an issue. Yet...

eoinsgaff":222hr94m said:
I'm focusing on the dust in the workshop at the moment and my mitre saw is the biggest culprit by a distance.

I'm thinking of selling it off once I get a combination machine. Am I correct in assuming any task the mitre saw can be replicated on the format section of the Felder or hammer (or even a minimax!!!).

Unless pressed for space I would hang onto it. Have a Felder combination myself but use the mitre saw for lots of tasks. Cutting planks down to approx length before machining is so a simple with a mitre saw. Also those little trimming jobs like cutting beadings to length when you end up nibbling tiny bits off the end to get the length perfect. Both can be done with a table saw but sometimes feels like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

My Dewalt RAS became redundant when i got my Felder combi, sold it on and never missed it.

A mitre saw may be slightly different as I only used the RAS for 90 degree crosscutting and tenon shoulders

eoinsgaff":38nz69wp said:

Interesting question, I've got a Felder Combi but I'm currently thinking of getting a SCMS, the reason isn't really any lack of functionality by the Felder, but more because I'm thinking of getting a second bench in the workshop, and when the Combi is set up for spindle work it takes the saw out of action, so having another cross cut option if there's a second maker around would be useful.

I don't think a SCMS will mitre or angle cut any better overall, but I suspect there will still be some practical differences.

On the Felder for precise angle work I use this,

Felder-Mitre.jpg

which permits setting an angle to about half of one tenth of a degree just from the scale. I doubt any SCMS will have similar precision or repeatability. Having said that half of one tenth of a degree isn't always good enough to deliver totally gap free joints and invisible glue lines, so generally I set angles from a master template.

On the other hand it's easy to set up zero clearance inserts on an SCMS, and it's a bit faster to swap the blade out for something finer, so I'd hope that would deliver a small improvement in the actual quality of the cut. Another advantage of an SCMS is the ability to tilt the blade both ways, which gives the option of always having a reference edge against the fence. I appreciate this is a pretty rare situation, but working on some splayed sabre legs this once caught me out with the Felder because the blade only tilts one way.

Attachments

• Felder-Mitre.jpg
    Felder-Mitre.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 943
Custard, it is a lot more efficient to have the SCMS I use mine all the time for cuts under 12" wide and only use the Felder for larger cross cutting and large angled work. The only downside is the blessed dust extraction on the SCMS.

Before I bought my combi that was my rationale - get rid of the scms, buy a good accurate combi. As it turned out though I bought both. The scms is so handy for cross cuts and does a good job (its permanently set up with tables to measure off the length) and swapping fences/blades etc on the slider is a little bit of a pain.

Where I think an SCMS will really score over the Felder is safely sawing small pieces. Currently I use the RUWI system on the Felder,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UKA2qpPXx8

it works very well, but it's a bit of a faff to set up and repeatability can sometimes be an issue. I think the RUWI would still have advantages for longer runs, but for single components I guess an SCMS would be better. I've also seen workshops that have set up an SCMS with a simple fence and hold down jig that allows cleanly ripping small, short components less than about 300mm long.

Bit of irony there, one of the biggest machines I'v seen used to cut the tiniest bits of timber, interesting system though.

Mike

Custard, for very small pieces I prefer the RUWI system (home made) as it holds the wood well. I once cut a very small piece of moulding for a break front sideboard on the SCMS only it took flight and the nice miter gashed my thumb requiring two stitches. My own fault for lifting the blade before it stopped but ever since then I prefer to have the wood firmly clamped

If I saw a design for a working dust extraction arrangement, that didn't require a NASA shuttle team to build, I'd keep the SCMS for sure.

Be VERY careful about anything on Craigslist ... it is an unregulated place ... scammers use it to advertise things that don't exist at knock down prices, promise to arrange delivery etc...

I had a Felder BF631 for many years and only have good things to say about it. Supremely accurate, reliable, built like a tank and very straight forward to use. Thoroughly recommended. As others have said, be very diligent when it comes to buying. A friend of mine got scammed for nearly £5k in his eagerness to purchase one. Never buy sight unseen. If the person you're buying from can't deliver you're going to need a lorry with a 1 tonne tail lift. Universals being very heavy. Does your workshop really lend itself to a Universal? You need room all the way around the machine, to be comfortable I'd say a metre either side, more at each end if you're feeding sheet material.

Check out Felder UK, they sometimes have good quality used stock and they can deliver. Good luck with your search.

Cheers Muggins.

My shop is 4.7m x 8m so I believe it will work. I will centre the blade on double doors on the long side to allow for longer cross cuts. I haven't seen much out there at the moment. I've started to look at the minimax cu300 classic as an option as well. I wonder if this matches the quality of the Felder. Has anyone seen any deal on these out there.

I'm not convinced that morticing attachments are all that useful - i'll take guidance from all you gurus out there though.

Back