• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Sold Hammer A3-31 (not working)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodmaker

Reaction score
This is my Hammer A3-31 planer thicknesser (single phase), new in 2008, kept in my dry workshop and used for hobby purposes. It has the 3-knife quick-change, self-setting cutterblock system 310mm.

The machine is in good condition and has worked well until recently, but currently it will not start. Likely cost of repair by Felder is more than I wish to pay and I do not have the knowledge or ability to attempt a fix myself, but this may be a possibility for someone else.

Felder’s first suggestion was to check the start capacitors. One had indeed blown so I replaced both, but the issue remains the same. Pressing the start button makes a sound which seems to me like the motor is trying to start but doesn’t. The limit switches on the lifting tables appear to be OK.

Although Felder could not diagnose the fault or confirm a solution by phone, they now suggest the problem may lie with the motor or the control box, one or both of which may need replacing.

Price £500 as is, based on the buyer collecting from Fort William. Be aware that the machine weighs upwards of 300 kg. The machine will come with fence and support rail, but I will remove and keep two other accessory table supports plus the digital handwheel and rolling carriage (wheels, axle and lifting bracket).

Attachments

• 20231124_241096-Edit.jpg
    666 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231124_241097-Edit.jpg
    625.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231124_241099-Edit.jpg
    766.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231124_241100-Edit.jpg
    779.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231124_241102-Edit.jpg
    747.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231124_241104.jpg
    775.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231124_241105-Edit.jpg
    669.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231124_241108-Edit.jpg
    743.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231124_241110-Edit.jpg
    770.4 KB · Views: 0
You have my sympathy, as that is a very tidy machine, Felder must be charging an arm and a leg for the motor and control gear for it not to be viable to repair. - compared to buying an equivalent planer. I can easily understand that you now , just want shot of the problem. though this will certainly be a bargain for someone living close enough to you and who is a bit more experienced.

Bearing in mind the attempts that you have made so far to sort it out, I would have been tempted to remove the motor and see if I could get it running on the bench. Also one should never assume that parts you have been supplied are not themselves, faulty. I have experienced this myself on several occasions.

I'm sure someone will respond , who might be able to offer you a bit more sage advice or offer to buy the machine. I would have certainly been wiling to take a "punt" if I lived much nearer.
Niall

You have my sympathy, as that is a very tidy machine, Felder must be charging an arm and a leg for the motor and control gear for it not to be viable to repair. - compared to buying an equivalent planer. I can easily understand that you now , just want shot of the problem. though this will certainly be a bargain for someone living close enough to you and who is a bit more experienced.

Bearing in mind the attempts that you have made so far to sort it out, I would have been tempted to remove the motor and see if I could get it running on the bench. Also one should never assume that parts you have been supplied are not themselves, faulty. I have experienced this myself on several occasions.

I'm sure someone will respond , who might be able to offer you a bit more sage advice or offer to buy the machine. I would have certainly been wiling to take a "punt" if I lived much nearer.
Niall
Thanks for your comments. It's most probably a do-able fix for someone, but just too big a project for me. I have minimal electrical knowledge and even the mechanics of extracting and replacing the motor in this heavy machine are beyond what I am confident of attempting.

This is my Hammer A3-31 planer thicknesser (single phase), new in 2008, kept in my dry workshop and used for hobby purposes. It has the 3-knife quick-change, self-setting cutterblock system 310mm.

The machine is in good condition and has worked well until recently, but currently it will not start. Likely cost of repair by Felder is more than I wish to pay and I do not have the knowledge or ability to attempt a fix myself, but this may be a possibility for someone else.

Felder’s first suggestion was to check the start capacitors. One had indeed blown so I replaced both, but the issue remains the same. Pressing the start button makes a sound which seems to me like the motor is trying to start but doesn’t. The limit switches on the lifting tables appear to be OK.

Although Felder could not diagnose the fault or confirm a solution by phone, they now suggest the problem may lie with the motor or the control box, one or both of which may need replacing.

Price £500 as is, based on the buyer collecting from Fort William. Be aware that the machine weighs upwards of 300 kg. The machine will come with fence and support rail, but I will remove and keep two other accessory table supports plus the digital handwheel and rolling carriage (wheels, axle and lifting bracket).
Just a thought, with it unplugged and make sure it is, have you tried rotating the blade to ensure it is not binding on a woodchip someplace. Or even a blade jamming where it has come loose it should turn freely if the problem is electrical rather than mechanical.

Just a thought, with it unplugged and make sure it is, have you tried rotating the blade to ensure it is not binding on a woodchip someplace. Or even a blade jamming where it has come loose it should turn freely if the problem is electrical rather than mechanical.
Yes, this was the first thing I checked and then gave it all a good clean and ensured everything was moving freely.

Back