Used Felder or Hammer Combination machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eoinsgaff

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in the market for a Felder or Hammer combination machine and prices for a new purchase fairly knocked me off my socks.
I've been looking at used machines and there is a dramatic reduction for machines that are only 2 or 3 years old.
Is there anything major I should be looking for that causes this price drop? I had assumed these were almost invincible. In general, what should I look for when inspecting these machines?

I don't know about the Hammer machine but the Felder 741 is an excellent machine, rock solid and very accurate. If you have the extension fences it gets very big. I would say to operate it comfortably with an 8x4 sheet you will want at least twelve feet of space to the left, back and front of the saw bed. The trolly that comes with it makes it very easy to move around so it is possible to reposition the machine for large or long pieces of timber although this can be a bit of a faff, it does mean you can convert large pieces of timber and sheets on your own. The chain lift on the rising table of the thicknesser needs regular greasing otherwise it can clog. The inside of the machine needs hoovering out on a regular basis through a port hole under the sliding table. So no, no major issues at all that I can think of. The disposable planer blades are good but expensive so it is best to stock up on these when they have a sale.

I've come across a number of Felder machines for sale on Craig's list, London. The prices are more than reasonable and I can't help but smell a rat. Has anyone any idea what could be going on?

Hi

I have a 731 universal. It's developed a problem that I would look out for. When switching from thicknessing to surfacing the out feed table does not reliably go back into perfect position. This affects surface planing and the alignment of the fence for the saw as the channel does not perfectly line up on the front edge from the main table to the surface out feed table. Also the the cast table around the spindle moulders dips down a bit. The table dip is not a massive problem but can occasionally needs to be allowed for and the thicknesser table can be a PITA

Beau":ol1bd1zu said:
Hi

I have a 731 universal. It's developed a problem that I would look out for. When switching from thicknessing to surfacing the out feed table does not reliably go back into perfect position. This affects surface planing and the alignment of the fence for the saw as the channel does not perfectly line up on the front edge from the main table to the surface out feed table. Also the the cast table around the spindle moulders dips down a bit. The table dip is not a massive problem but can occasionally needs to be allowed for and the thicknesser table can be a PITA

Does adjusting this help

felder outfeed.JPG

in addition is the error on both edges of the outfeed table (i.e. is the table in twist). if the error is only on the outer edge (opposite to the hinge of the table) then the two ball top mounts can be adjusted up and down to facilitate coplanar.

the two ball top mounts can also be used to set the outfeed parallel to the cutter block

This may also be handy if you scroll through the pages

http://www.davidpbest.com/VA/Stonehorse ... 0Intro.htm

Attachments

• felder outfeed.JPG
    felder outfeed.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 3,180
eoinsgaff":12mfzofk said:
I've come across a number of Felder machines for sale on Craig's list, London. The prices are more than reasonable and I can't help but smell a rat. Has anyone any idea what could be going on?

Yeah thats what I thought. Then I learnt. Contacted about 15 of those - every single one a con job and nearly got caught out. Craigslist is dodgy as hell.

katellwood":3epfvaj9 said:
Beau":3epfvaj9 said:
Hi

Does adjusting this help

in addition is the error on both edges of the outfeed table (i.e. is the table in twist). if the error is only on the outer edge (opposite to the hinge of the table) then the two ball top mounts can be adjusted up and down to facilitate coplanar.

the two ball top mounts can also be used to set the outfeed parallel to the cutter block

This may also be handy if you scroll through the pages

http://www.davidpbest.com/VA/Stonehorse ... 0Intro.htm

Sorry OP for going off topic :D

Thanks Katellwood

No the issue is with the main pivot for the table. It can move for and aft a bit on the shaft so it then does not sit neatly on the studs and messing up alignment of the fence track. Not been brave enough to rip it all apart to see whats going on. Adjusted the studs multiple times before realising the problem laid elsewhere.

Have you tried posting the problem on the Felder Owners Group forum?

Failing that you could get a Felder engineer in, AFAIK they still support the 731 and even earlier models.

katellwood":2qpe2peh said:
Does this help

Thanks

The problem comes from part 74 sliding along part 69. Not quite clear what made this problem arise and sure I could get to the bottom of it with a bit more commitment. Thing is I can get by as is and don't want to end up with it in an unusable state.

custard":28xusr3r said:
Have you tried posting the problem on the Felder Owners Group forum?

Probably worth a try :D

Not that optimistic with Felder engineers after my limited experience with them. Had to lend the guy who came to commission it a straight edge and a square. Then advise him how to set it up correctly. Still had to change a few things once he had gone :roll:

Not that optimistic with Felder engineers after my limited experience with them. Had to lend the guy who came to commission it a straight edge and a square. Then advise him how to set it up correctly. Still had to change a few things once he had gone :roll:

That's a shame, I've had a few in my workshop, commissioning machines and following up with service issues, they've all been pretty good.

custard":2ardg2g2 said:

That's a shame, I've had a few in my workshop, commissioning machines and following up with service issues, they've all been pretty good.

To be fair the guy had just qualified but should have been sent out with the right tools.

Not had a great experience dealing with head office either. The fence was twisted from new and they took a lot of convincing that it was anything other than perfect and my straight edge was at fault. They even sent a guy out instead of swapping it. Guess what he comes and says it's twisted we had better send you a new one #-o

Don't get me wrong I think my 731 is a good machine and well made just not perfect like Felder would have had me believe

I've started trawling machine sites in Europe and I began to find a few fairly reasonable prices for used models.

There has been an unfortunate side effect - I've begun to lust for a Felder cf731 over the Hammer C331. This could end very poorly for the wallet/pension/childs college fund etc.

I suppose nobody here has one sitting in the garage and would like to have it go to a good home?

You never know...

what about a cf 531 not quite up to the spec of a 731 but nearly there (the only obvious difference as I can see is that the spindle is not interchangeable from a spindle to router you can select either/or but not both)

New with a 12" planer a felder 531 is now the only option

eoinsgaff":3frhh2s1 said:
I've started trawling machine sites in Europe and I began to find a few fairly reasonable prices for used models.

There has been an unfortunate side effect - I've begun to lust for a Felder cf731 over the Hammer C331. This could end very poorly for the wallet/pension/childs college fund etc.

I suppose nobody here has one sitting in the garage and would like to have it go to a good home?

You never know...

Toying with the idea of getting rid of mine as hardly make anything these days and seems a shame to have that big lump sitting idle.

eoinsgaff":2vf0y1pt said:
I'm sure I would be interested. It might beat going to Switzerland for it...

Considering my options at the moment but will let you know if I decide to sell :D

Back