Used Felder or Hammer Combination machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eoinsgaff":25zx53ym said:
I'm not convinced that morticing attachments are all that useful - i'll take guidance from all you gurus out there though.

Horizontal or slot morticers aren't that common in the UK, so most woodworkers shrug their shoulders and say they don't need one. But if you talk to a continental woodworker, where they're much more common, they'll likely say a slot morticer is pretty much essential! I don't own one, but I have used them in the past, and I can certainly see how useful they are if you do a lot of mortice and tenon work in angled components, as you do on chairs for example. Talking to people who are very familiar with slot morticers they tend to say the kind you find as bolt ons to planer/thicknessers, where the tooling is stationary and the workpiece moves, aren't all that great, and what you really need is one of the bigger machines where the workpiece is held stationary and it's the tooling that moves.

eoinsgaff":1aevihyq said:
Cheers Muggins.

My shop is 4.7m x 8m so I believe it will work. I will centre the blade on double doors on the long side to allow for longer cross cuts. I haven't seen much out there at the moment. I've started to look at the minimax cu300 classic as an option as well. I wonder if this matches the quality of the Felder. Has anyone seen any deal on these out there.

I'm not convinced that morticing attachments are all that useful - i'll take guidance from all you gurus out there though.

Minimax machines seem to represent good value.....you get a lot for your money. But Felder seem to be a big step up in the engineering that goes in to them. It may be that you won't be doing massive amounts of work with it though, in which case you could save yourself a few quid and still be very happy. Have you looked at the Hammer machines? If you live anywhere near Milton Keynes then you could give Felder and Hammer a look. They're both under the same roof. (No affiliation btw).

No, I'm across the water in Ireland. I get to the uk a good bit though. I spent a week in Lincolnshire a few weeks ago and the nearest place that seemed of interest was the scm/minimax showroom in Nottingham. I'll be trying that the next time though.

Ok, I'm very close to a decision and about to drop the hammer on a machine. About to drop the hammer on a hammer as it turns out. 3 months procrastination is not bad by my standards.
I must make room now so I have a Startrite TS300 to shift first. Would there be any market in the U.K. for one of these? Is it worth advertising on this forum for example?
Christmas in March....

Hammer are having an open day soon with sale offers so if you're about to buy then I'd wait for that to get the best price.
Startrite ts300 are good saws (I have the ta300 ps) and they should sell easily wherever assuming the price is fair. I've seen used ones go for as little as £500 and as much as £1200. However a refurbished one was up for £2600 recently.
Are you going for the c3 31?

Quick update- the startrite sold pretty quickly as advised Adam. The Hammer C331 has been ordered and is due for delivery on Friday next.
I take a few snaps of the delivery and setup.
I went for the comfort model with a 2m slider plus a few accessories.
I'll keep you in suspense until delivery

Back