Update on new AW10BSB2 tablesaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it is a good bit of kit, especially for the price paid.

I like to use the table top as a layout and build area, trouble is when I turn a job it hits this bloomin riving knife, perhaps there is an adjustable stop in there somewhere :?

Martin

Hi Martin,
I looked inside but could not find any way of adjusting the drop. In any event, adjusting the drop would not solve the riving knife to blade clearance problem.
The only answer seems to be deepening the slot in the riving knife. It took me about 15 min with a hack saw and a rat tailed file to do the job. Good Chinese steel - ex Ford bumper - not too difficult to cut/file!!
The riving knife now drops below the table and partially clears the riving knife/blade clearance problem. I say partially becuase as the riving knife is cut to a larger diametre than the standard 10 inch blade you cannot get the same clearance all around.
As this saw is made for a number of retailers there is the possibility that someone orders it with a slightly larger blade, say 270mm if there is such a thing. This might explain why the riving knife is cut to a larger diameter.
Anyway, the saw now provides a clear table for mark-up/assembly and the riving knife is closer to the blade - at least for part of its circumference.
Best regards,
Peter

Peter, thanks for looking and getting back to me, I shall have to take mine to workas I don't have a round file, at leastthe problem can be solved without too much hassle.

All the best

Martin

As an addendum, I have manufactured and fitted a home-made aluminium riving knife that sits just lower than the blade top and also hinged the outfeed table to get a bit more room.

Very pleased with the saw - even more so now!

Hi Tony,
I will take you up on the idea of a hinged outfeed table. That is an excellent idea.
Just how important is the riving knife to the quality of the cut? Is the distance from the blade that important?
I see what you mean about the thickness of the line in the magnifier. I will be following your lead on that one.
I am very pleased with the saw, thanks for a great review.
Peter

Just another idea. My saw is wheel mounted so that it can be moved around the workshop. To make life easier I replaced the rubber foot on the table support leg with a swivel castor. The whole saw now moves very easily.
Maybe we should start a thread just on this saw in its many guises. I t seem to be a popular choice.
Peter

Tony":1dtffxb5 said:
As an addendum, I have manufactured and fitted a home-made aluminium riving knife that sits just lower than the blade top and also hinged the outfeed table to get a bit more room.

Very pleased with the saw - even more so now!
Ilike this idea Tony, how did you do it :?: have you got any pics :wink:

Martin

Tony, does the crown guard still fit ok if the riving knife is shorter. I am considering doing this myself so I don't have to remove the riving knife for cutting tenons etc.

Hi Tony,
I would also like to see your new riving knife design. I slotted the original knife deeper to try to get it closer to the blade and to get the whole assembly below the table level but of course, I still have the large gap between the blade and the riving knife to the rear of the blade due to the radius of the riving knife being so much greater than the radius of the blade. Is the purpose of the riving knife simply to keep the two pieced of wood apart so as not to clamp the blade? I think that we called it a splitter when I lived in the States.
I am still very happy with the saw and also with the tilting spindle that i bought at the same time.
Regards,
Peter

Latest posts

Back