Quantcast
  • We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Unplugged Workshop (Tom Fidgen) Subscribers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

orchard

Established Member
Joined
28 Nov 2012
Messages
204
Reaction score
0
Location
Carmarthenshire
I'm thinking of subscribing to his online 'Studio' at $20/month.
I'm a beginner with a lot to learn.

Does anyone on here subscribe and want to provide some feedback please?

Cheers.
 

sammy.se

Established Member
Joined
3 Aug 2014
Messages
1,337
Reaction score
100
Location
London
Hi,

I have no direct experience with that channel/series, but just wanted to point out that Matt Estlea has recently kicked off a free online school. You can find him on YouTube.

What kind of thing are you into? Hand tool work, building units/cabinets?

I ask because if it's hand tools, then Matt Estlea and Paul Seller's will give you what you need cheaper.

If it's cabinet work, then Patreon can offer good value (just a couple of dollars per project).

Just FYI...

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
 

orchard

Established Member
Joined
28 Nov 2012
Messages
204
Reaction score
0
Location
Carmarthenshire
sammy.se":22flhbbu said:
Hi,

I have no direct experience with that channel/series, but just wanted to point out that Matt Estlea has recently kicked off a free online school. You can find him on YouTube.

What kind of thing are you into? Hand tool work, building units/cabinets?

I ask because if it's hand tools, then Matt Estlea and Paul Seller's will give you what you need cheaper.

If it's cabinet work, then Patreon can offer good value (just a couple of dollars per project).

Just FYI...

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Thanks!

Sorry, i'm hand tools only, or at least that's where i'm heading :) I do some green woodwork too, and like Follansbee's approach and enjoy the Mortise and Tenon magazines that i've been able to justify, haha.

I thought Matt was hybrid?
 

sammy.se

Established Member
Joined
3 Aug 2014
Messages
1,337
Reaction score
100
Location
London
Matt is a hybrid, that's true - but I think the first of the lessons in his new course (all on YouTube) has been hand tools. I might be wrong, I get the notifications but have not watched the recent videos.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
 

orchard

Established Member
Joined
28 Nov 2012
Messages
204
Reaction score
0
Location
Carmarthenshire
sammy.se":1eo6saem said:
Matt is a hybrid, that's true - but I think the first of the lessons in his new course (all on YouTube) has been hand tools. I might be wrong, I get the notifications but have not watched the recent videos.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Thanks, i'll check them out :)
 

Cheshirechappie

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2012
Messages
4,826
Reaction score
118
Location
Cheshire
You may already know about it, but if not, Shannon Rogers' site 'The Renaissance Woodworker' is well worth exploring for somebody interested in hand-tool work. He has a lot of YouTube videos covering all aspects of hand work, some very basic but considered in depth, some quite advanced.

https://www.renaissancewoodworker.com/

(This is purely a personal opinion, but Tom Fidgen is a bit 'lifestyley' for my taste. Shannon is rather more down to earth.)

Don't forget the even more down to earth Richard Maguire, too - https://www.theenglishwoodworker.com/
 

orchard

Established Member
Joined
28 Nov 2012
Messages
204
Reaction score
0
Location
Carmarthenshire
Cheshirechappie":3dhh57xz said:
You may already know about it, but if not, Shannon Rogers' site 'The Renaissance Woodworker' is well worth exploring for somebody interested in hand-tool work. He has a lot of YouTube videos covering all aspects of hand work, some very basic but considered in depth, some quite advanced.

https://www.renaissancewoodworker.com/

(This is purely a personal opinion, but Tom Fidgen is a bit 'lifestyley' for my taste. Shannon is rather more down to earth.)

Don't forget the even more down to earth Richard Maguire, too - https://www.theenglishwoodworker.com/
Thanks, you're quite right, i've watched a few of Shannon's episodes, and ought to check him out more.

Haha, I get what you mean regarding Fidgen's lifestyle coming across, although I don't think his ethos to woodwork would be the same wothout it :)

I have Maguire's sharpening series and would recommend it without reservation. Whilst his other series do cover precisely the elements i need to practice and develop, I don't have much interest in the specific projects themselves, and having thought long and hard about it, I can't justify the 35 quid(s) as having good value on that basis, although with hindsight, I would gladly swap my M&T Foundations video for any of them if I could ;)
 

thetyreman

Established Member
Joined
4 Mar 2016
Messages
3,017
Reaction score
228
Location
North West
can't go wrong with paul sellers if you are just starting out, try commonwoodworking and there are a few decent free projects at woodworkingmasterclasses dot com. I like fidgen as well though, if there are free projects on the unplugged workshop try making them first, just don't try and do too much too fast, learn the basics, walk before you run.
 
Top