Unplugged Workshop (Tom Fidgen) Subscribers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orchard

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of subscribing to his online 'Studio' at $20/month.
I'm a beginner with a lot to learn.

Does anyone on here subscribe and want to provide some feedback please?

Cheers.

Hi,

I have no direct experience with that channel/series, but just wanted to point out that Matt Estlea has recently kicked off a free online school. You can find him on YouTube.

What kind of thing are you into? Hand tool work, building units/cabinets?

I ask because if it's hand tools, then Matt Estlea and Paul Seller's will give you what you need cheaper.

If it's cabinet work, then Patreon can offer good value (just a couple of dollars per project).

Just FYI...

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

sammy.se":22flhbbu said:
Hi,

I have no direct experience with that channel/series, but just wanted to point out that Matt Estlea has recently kicked off a free online school. You can find him on YouTube.

What kind of thing are you into? Hand tool work, building units/cabinets?

I ask because if it's hand tools, then Matt Estlea and Paul Seller's will give you what you need cheaper.

If it's cabinet work, then Patreon can offer good value (just a couple of dollars per project).

Just FYI...

Thanks!

Sorry, i'm hand tools only, or at least that's where i'm heading :) I do some green woodwork too, and like Follansbee's approach and enjoy the Mortise and Tenon magazines that i've been able to justify, haha.

I thought Matt was hybrid?

Matt is a hybrid, that's true - but I think the first of the lessons in his new course (all on YouTube) has been hand tools. I might be wrong, I get the notifications but have not watched the recent videos.

sammy.se":1eo6saem said:
Matt is a hybrid, that's true - but I think the first of the lessons in his new course (all on YouTube) has been hand tools. I might be wrong, I get the notifications but have not watched the recent videos.

Thanks, i'll check them out :)

You may already know about it, but if not, Shannon Rogers' site 'The Renaissance Woodworker' is well worth exploring for somebody interested in hand-tool work. He has a lot of YouTube videos covering all aspects of hand work, some very basic but considered in depth, some quite advanced.

https://www.renaissancewoodworker.com/

(This is purely a personal opinion, but Tom Fidgen is a bit 'lifestyley' for my taste. Shannon is rather more down to earth.)

Don't forget the even more down to earth Richard Maguire, too - https://www.theenglishwoodworker.com/

Cheshirechappie":3dhh57xz said:
You may already know about it, but if not, Shannon Rogers' site 'The Renaissance Woodworker' is well worth exploring for somebody interested in hand-tool work. He has a lot of YouTube videos covering all aspects of hand work, some very basic but considered in depth, some quite advanced.

https://www.renaissancewoodworker.com/

(This is purely a personal opinion, but Tom Fidgen is a bit 'lifestyley' for my taste. Shannon is rather more down to earth.)

Don't forget the even more down to earth Richard Maguire, too - https://www.theenglishwoodworker.com/
Thanks, you're quite right, i've watched a few of Shannon's episodes, and ought to check him out more.

Haha, I get what you mean regarding Fidgen's lifestyle coming across, although I don't think his ethos to woodwork would be the same wothout it :)

I have Maguire's sharpening series and would recommend it without reservation. Whilst his other series do cover precisely the elements i need to practice and develop, I don't have much interest in the specific projects themselves, and having thought long and hard about it, I can't justify the 35 quid(s) as having good value on that basis, although with hindsight, I would gladly swap my M&T Foundations video for any of them if I could ;)

can't go wrong with paul sellers if you are just starting out, try commonwoodworking and there are a few decent free projects at woodworkingmasterclasses dot com. I like fidgen as well though, if there are free projects on the unplugged workshop try making them first, just don't try and do too much too fast, learn the basics, walk before you run.

Back