Union Graduate Restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dieselkid 63

Reaction score
So I recently purchased a lovely Union Graduate lathe for the princely sum of $900. This is my most expensive machine to date having bought all my others as unpowered wrecks! I thought I’d give it an oil/clean and be good to go, however on closer inspection there were a few niggles I wanted to sort out, and inevitably the whole thing has come to bits to be extensively cleaned. Oh well... machines just don’t feel like mine unless I’ve restored them anyway!

So what spurred me on was the heavy caking of what looked like glue and rust on the lamp arm. I revved the machine into max rpm and was duly showered with grease. Oh no! Yes, the bearings were massively over-greased and the end cap hadn’t been placed back properly, likely pushed out by all the grease. I now think the muck on the lamp is grease and sawdust caked and dried over years. Not even petrol would shift it! I still (just) attend uni so these parts would end up being sandblasted.

Latest posts

Back