(Unheated) Porch Replacement?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just quickly reading this post but my opinion is have what you want. If you have a green oak porch it wouldn't to me look out of place. It's says "my porch has been designed in 2018" which is honest and follows fashion.

I made a similar decision about 2 years ago when we extended our house - the difference being my porch is open to the house so all the advice I got suggested prime oak. Our porch looks very like the one you have in your first photo. That 4 square metres is by far the most expensive space in the whole house and as per the other advice it really does change the look of the house - big financial risk. Building in oak is so much more expensive than other options.

Some specifics.
- The poster who built his own porch did an amazing job and the porch looks fantastic. However, it does look quite medieval - I don't think we are obliged to stick to the old fashioned look and with modern building materials, the older methods of joinery are not always valid (rising damp is just not so much of an issue with modern damp proof courses).
- The best thing I did was drive around the area and identify similar porches I liked the look of and copied them.
- If you are going for the painted look, why spend the extra on oak?

Good luck!

Peterm1000":1kx3mfvq said:
........- The poster who built his own porch did an amazing job and the porch looks fantastic. However, it does look quite medieval -

Well, the house is 320 years old, oak framed.

I don't think we are obliged to stick to the old fashioned look and with modern building materials, the older methods of joinery are not always valid (rising damp is just not so much of an issue with modern damp proof courses).

Trying to achieve a modern look with big post and beam oak framing isn't easy, and usually involves bespoke stainless steel. Your comment about rising damp doesn't apply, though, because it is perfectly possible to build something with a very traditional look but without the damp issues. My porch, to which you refer, is built on modern foundations and plinth with a DPM & DPC.

- The best thing I did was drive around the area and identify similar porches I liked the look of and copied them.

Indeed, which is why I asked right at the start about the local vernacular. You should also take into account the period of construction of the house. However, I wouldn't suggest copying, so much as adopting and adapting. Take the design principles of the porch you like and adapt it for your circumstance.

If you are going for the painted look, why spend the extra on oak?........

Longevity. Peace of mind.

My point about the modern building methods was that some of the older methods were designed for a time when modern dpc materials weren't available and are not necessary any more. So you might use them for aesthetic reasons, but I don't think they are obligatory.

I'm in my mid forties... the upstairs floor on my house was built on a treated timber frame and is tile-hung. No oak. I suspect it will outlast me and the house will get knocked down before it rots away. I'm sure there will be some houses still standing in 200 years, but I think most won't be.

Peterm1000":3e6p9lm8 said:
- If you are going for the painted look, why spend the extra on oak?
Good luck!

Hi Peter,

I've thought about that. :)

Might need to be on foot I think, the rush of everyday life usually means driving either too quickly past things and\or erratic driving if I want to gawp at peoples' house frontages. LOL

We're in a conservation area, predominantly Edwardian and a little Art Deco with a bit of modern infill thrown in.

I do like the look of the grey porch that BM101 posted up in all fairness. Not literally but that style\look. It was also grey colour, so that might explain it too. :mrgreen:

I might have to do some initial sketches and see what curved glass roof panels might be size\radius wise and then ring round for costs\timelines - and depending on the prices change direction. #-o

Although, if I still want a glass roof - could achieve it with a pitched roof - the glass won't be cheap but should be a lot cheaper than curved. LOL

There is a porch on the next street that has a curved roof - I might snap a picture in the next day or so and post it up. It isn't glazed but leaded - every time I drive past, my eyes are drawn to it. :)

I think the "chunky" beam & post look wouldn't look right in all fairness - I've always been drawn to slender(ish) proportions - Edwardian\Art Deco.

At this stage, it's all about ideas and what would suit the style\period of the house. So all comments are welcome! :mrgreen:

Cheers

Dibs

Came across this and thought it nice enough to save for future personal reference. I love the way it appears to lean inwards. Seems quite welcoming if it's not too whimsical. Seems to draw you/the eye in. Lovely deceptive lines for me. Nearly all straight lines but it tricks you a bit.
I'm guessing this is built of dried oak?
Might offer some inspiration Dibs. :D
I love the windows but think I might have to remortgage to afford this!.
Great blend of traditional and modern to my mind anyway.

xO7ENXR.jpg

Bm101":11ayev1b said:
........Nearly all straight lines but it tricks you a bit.
I'm guessing this is built of dried oak?......[/img]

The corner posts have jowls, which means the side panels to the door are curved. The tie beam is also curved. I'd be very surprised if this was built of seasoned timber.

Ah, ok. Thanks Mike. I just presumed with the windows... I'm guessing then there's some sort of movement allowance for the window fixing to allow for the oak seasoning? I'll have a google.

Well designed junctions between green oak framing and either direct glazing or seasoned timber joinery are really important to the success of oak framed buildings. This junction should always involve a rebate in the oak framing members, expanding sealing tape and glazing beads. Anyone who fixes direct to the oak with just silicon or the like is asking for trouble. I went through a phase last year where I designed 5 or 6 green oak projects of various sizes all at once, and the only one we've had any trouble with is the one where the builder knew best and ignored my details. Broken glass and leaking joints are the predictable result.

Back