Unflush joints with festool xl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giles watts

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Having trouble when making frames in tulip with the festool domino xl. Often the 2 pieces I'm joining aren't coming up flush on the face surface, see attached photo. Any tips? I plunge slow and steady. I've checked the fence is square, help!
16952201332531620121583278151163.jpg

When I had this issue, it was because I was referencing the worktop surface, instead of having the workpiece hang over the edge, and use ONLY the Domino fence against the workpiece for referencing.

When I had this issue, it was because I was referencing the worktop surface, instead of having the workpiece hang over the edge, and use ONLY the Domino fence against the workpiece for referencing.
Thanks Sammy
Yes I always overhang the workpiece a bit over my bench so not that
Giles

I had a similar problem and I realized I was twisting the domino when the fence was hanging over one edge unsupported. That meant that one corner would end up slightly proud, similar to your photo.

I now support the fence with a bit of wood of the same thickness, which stops my natural inclination to twist.

-Adam

Ok, the other thing I do (and I still do when I'm not paying 100% attention) is that I raise or lower the domino, so it is at a slight angle. That means although the mortise is in the right location, it angles up or down, and when I join the two pieces, it causes a misalignment.
It could be that? Try again, but with 100% accuracy holding it up to the workpiece on both surfaces of the fence/body. Hope what I wrote makes sense.

Maybe me but that's what they do. At least that's what mine does. I've figured if it's putting that domino in slightly skew even I whisker on a deep plunge and it's off thats double off. Its only hand held the tolerances aren't super tight.

I had a similar problem and I realized I was twisting the domino when the fence was hanging over one edge unsupported. That meant that one corner would end up slightly proud, similar to your photo.

I now support the fence with a bit of wood of the same thickness, which stops my natural inclination to twist.

-Adam
Thanks Adam
That makes sense I will try that. I think that accounts for a tiny twist like in my photo. Perhaps that photo wasn't the best indicator of the issue as the joints Normally come out parallel to each other but can be up to 1mm out of flush at worst. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong anyone?? This pic below shows it better

16952271858251747030664217023380.jpg

Ok, the other thing I do (and I still do when I'm not paying 100% attention) is that I raise or lower the domino, so it is at a slight angle. That means although the mortise is in the right location, it angles up or down, and when I join the two pieces, it causes a misalignment.
It could be that? Try again, but with 100% accuracy holding it up to the workpiece on both surfaces of the fence/body. Hope what I wrote makes sense.
Yeah I don't think I am raising the machine, I being super careful to keep it flat, no movement etc. Will try again though thanks

Maybe me but that's what they do. At least that's what mine does. I've figured if it's putting that domino in slightly skew even I whisker on a deep plunge and it's off thats double off. Its only hand held the tolerances aren't super tight.
Really?
A grands worth of machine and it's hit and miss wether u get a flush joint or not!? I hope not

Have you checked how square the domino is itself? (the preset 90* was not true) , i had to re calibrate mine out of the box with a machine square . I experienced similar problems to you.

Is your extractor good/powerful enough. I used to have problems like this when I first got the smaller domino, I didn't have an extractor at all, and the wood chips used to clog and throw off the accuracy. The problem disappeared when I bought an extractor and only returned when I had it on a low setting not full power.

Is your extractor good/powerful enough. I used to have problems like this when I first got the smaller domino, I didn't have an extractor at all, and the wood chips used to clog and throw off the accuracy. The problem disappeared when I bought an extractor and only returned when I had it on a low setting not full power.
Yes I have the festool extractor so not that thanks

When using mine rather than holding the handle on the front I kind of wrap my hand around the base of the handle and have half my hand on the fence and half on the timber.

I don't hold the back handle when plunging but push the back of the tool with the base of my palm (fingers underneath the tool).

I think on mine the clear scale within the fence sits very slightly higher than the underside of the fence, I find if doing really small pieces you have to make sure you are referencing off the fence and not kind of dipping on to the underside of the scale.

When using mine rather than holding the handle on the front I kind of wrap my hand around the base of the handle and have half my hand on the fence and half on the timber.

I don't hold the back handle when plunging but push the back of the tool with the base of my palm (fingers underneath the tool).

I think on mine the clear scale within the fence sits very slightly higher than the underside of the fence, I find if doing really small pieces you have to make sure you are referencing off the fence and not kind of dipping on to the underside of the scale.
Cheers Doug I'll give that a whirl

That is interesting, the one thing I can get alignment with on the XL700 is the face, my issue has always been horizontal alignment. This issue can occur if your domino's are almost on centre because it can be easy to accidently flip the workpiece over on assembly which is an issue I had on the learning curve with the Dowelmax but now use the same tick mark system on all joints. Due to my horizontal issues I have tried many ways of handling the 700, the best I have found is as if you are filing or using a hacksaw. If using the domino fence then hold it down but also take a one leg in front of the other stance to transfer some body weight forward as well and then push forward without gripping the handle tightly. I found holding the handle tight just made things worse and is like a car which wanders when you hold the steering wheel really tight. I also use the base on the domino with acrylic shims, but also drop the fence down so it sits on top of the workpiece so you have the handle to hold onto.

All these techniques and tips suggest issues can and do occur fairly often. They occur with biscuits and they only plunge a bit. My little domino is about the best. It's just because the fences are a bit clunky and sometimes don't stay parallel to the blade once again the issues are doubled. Try using the base as a reference.

All these techniques and tips suggest issues can and do occur fairly often. They occur with biscuits and they only plunge a bit. My little domino is about the best. It's just because the fences are a bit clunky and sometimes don't stay parallel to the blade once again the issues are doubled. Try using the base as a reference.
You might be right Johnny using the base instead of the fence hard on the bench with the workpiece clamped fast on the bench may be the way to go. Will try it in the morning

Try Doug and Spectrics technique and do some practice on some scrap and it will become easier. I have let a couple of friends have a go and all of them had this issue on the first couple of mortices, it's all about keeping the front fence well planted. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back