(UK) maple

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I have the opportunity of a log or two of maple from a tree that is coming down next door.

Is field maple any use for woodworking purposes, I presume it will be similar to our sycamore rather than the us maple?

Limited experience, but it is quite hard - harder than sycamore. And it makes very nice smoked chillies 😋

Well I am going to get some to use for smoking too. It is hard to get single species firewood so a stack in the corner can season away for a couple of years.

I have never used maple but I have assumed it is similar to birch. That is based on nothing really except that it looks similar, but is working with maple similar to working with birch?

I saw a sycamore table at an exhibition last year and I initially thought it was birch. Perhaps birch is the chicken of the wood world - everything looks like birch in the same way that everything tastes like chicken. Or maybe that is just me.

According to the Woodland Trust App it is the most dense of all of the European Maples and good for instrument making.

Yes, it's one of the very few European hardwoods that are dense enough and even enough (diffuse porous not ring porous) to use for musical instruments.Along with box (now too rare) and fruitwoods (not quite as good and often not as large). Bassoons are normally made of maple. It's a discreet but attractive figure. Definitely worth keeping and seasoning.

I’ve never used English/ European maple but the American stuff is beautiful to work, it’s almost like planing a piece of nylon. Ian

I was given a log of maple - I can't be certain but I believe it was UK rather than US.

Lovely to work. As mentioned already, much harder than sycamore, and with more character & colouration, too.

Thanks everybody. I will see what I can salvage. I won't be making a bassoon though!

I would estimate about 14-16". It is nice and straight. I would like a coffee table from it (in time)
Definitely worth a go, that's a decent size for field maple. Keep as long a length as you can and cut down the pith. You could then cut some quarter-sawn boards for the top if you have access to a big bandsaw. I did this with a cherry log of a similar size.

I guessed field maple. looking online it could be that or Norway maple. the tree surgeon just said maple so I will ask him when I see him. my bandsaw is a big one and should manage a half section.

Back