TV Room Transformation - Nearly finished

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradNaylor

Established Member
Reaction score
My clients had a very dull little room at the front of the the house which had obviously been converted from an integral garage by a previous owner.

Booth005.jpg

This rather ugly cupboard contains the gas and electricity meters, not to mention a lot of booze!

Booth001-1.jpg

They wanted to use the room as a TV den for the kids, and comissioned me to build some fitted oak units. I decided to use the existing cupboard instead of ripping it out and replacing it; cladding it in oak veneered panels and adding new doors.

I reckoned on 10 days making and 2 days fitting; yesterday was my 11th day overall and this is how far I got...

Booth008.jpg

Just the last two doors and all the shelves to fit on Monday, together with the usual caulk gun magic!

Brad

Great...tooo good for the kids...kids these days are to pampered for their own good!! :D

I also like the fact that you didnt junk the old cupboard. It looked perfectly well made and keeping it saved time and materials.

Where do you get your veenered board from and how much did it cost a sheet?

Piers

Very tidy. You planning on doing anything with the 'dead' space to the right of the tall cupboard - or is that where the shelves will be?

Nice to have customers prepared to stump up the necessary for a kids TV room, instead of heading off to Ikea, lol ;)

Cheers, Pete.

Excellent job as usual Brad. I like the idea of utilising the original cupboard too. Too good for kids though. :wink:

V. Nice - plenty of space for the xbox/PS3 etc.

I assume the "wall" the TV is mounted on is hiding a cavity for the cables and power - is this being left removable for future access?

DeanN":1iyx3d9z said:
I assume the "wall" the TV is mounted on is hiding a cavity for the cables and power - is this being left removable for future access?

The 'wall' is a sheet of 18mm MDF on 50mm battens leaving a void behind the telly down into the lower cupboards. Cables and scart leads etc can simply be dropped down through a big hole behind the telly and into the cupoard below, where the mains and ariel/cable sockets are.

No need for the MDF panel to be removable.

TrimTheKing":pnxanb9z said:
Nice looking work Brad.

Looks very much like a 'normal' house to me too, rather than a rich mans mansion. Nice to see the man on the street having bespoke work done.

Yeah, just a normal 4-bed detatched in Alderley Edge. I'm not sure that they have 'streets' in Alderley Edge, but compared to Trimble Towers this place is pretty 'normal'.:D

You make a good point, though. Most of my clients are average folk who just happen to have good taste. I don't really operate amongst the wealthy Cheshire set or the hundreds of footballers who live on my doorstep, and have no great desire to do so.

While I was finishing this job yesterday a load of the client's friends turned up with their young children for the afternoon; apparantly this is a regular event on a Monday. One of them turned out to be another client of mine from Wilmslow for whom I did several jobs last year, including a pair of oak alcove units, a computer desk, and a fitted shoe chest in the hall. Before I knew where I was, I had half the young mothers of the area cooing over my work and clammering for business cards.

Ever seen 'Desperate Housewives'? Well, it was a bit like that!

:lol:

BradNaylor":2605pnwh said:
TrimTheKing":2605pnwh said:
Nice looking work Brad.

Looks very much like a 'normal' house to me too, rather than a rich mans mansion. Nice to see the man on the street having bespoke work done.

Yeah, just a normal 4-bed detatched in Alderley Edge. I'm not sure that they have 'streets' in Alderley Edge, but compared to Trimble Towers this place is pretty 'normal'.:D

You make a good point, though. Most of my clients are average folk who just happen to have good taste. I don't really operate amongst the wealthy Cheshire set or the hundreds of footballers who live on my doorstep, and have no great desire to do so.

While I was finishing this job yesterday a load of the client's friends turned up with their young children for the afternoon; apparantly this is a regular event on a Monday. One of them turned out to be another client of mine from Wilmslow for whom I did several jobs last year, including a pair of oak alcove units, a computer desk, and a fitted shoe chest in the hall. Before I knew where I was, I had half the young mothers of the area cooing over my work and clammering for business cards.

Ever seen 'Desperate Housewives'? Well, it was a bit like that!

Haha, how did you know I call it Trimble Towers? ;)

Don't mistake the house for wealth though, we sank all our cash into a big house just after the market crashed. Yet to see whether that was a good gamble or not...

You've mentioned before how that's a much nicer way to work, with normal people rather than the egotistical WAGS and rich Cheshire @rses. I still laugh at your post about Miss Bel-Ami :D

looks smart, just a bit to much colour variation though. it seems like you did not try and get the best from the wood you had?

clewlowm":3iny2wgl said:
looks smart, just a bit to much colour variation though. it seems like you did not try and get the best from the wood you had?
Not sure I agree with that, looks good to me. Grain patterning is more important, which Brad has got right, if the colours match then that's a bonus - Rob

woodbloke":3f0610rh said:
clewlowm":3f0610rh said:
Not sure I agree with that, looks good to me. Grain patterning is more important, which Brad has got right, if the colours match then that's a bonus - Rob
Exactly! Plus digital cameras with flash seem to produce this phenomena of grain and colour variation on rail and style doors. I'll bet they bang on.
I've had this problem before when photographing a job.
Oh fantastic job there Duncan as usual.
8) 8) 8)

Alex":n8l1bzuz said:
woodbloke":n8l1bzuz said:
clewlowm":n8l1bzuz said:
Exactly! Plus digital cameras with flash seem to produce this phenomena of grain and colour variation on rail and style doors. I'll bet they bang on.
I've had this problem before when photographing a job.
Oh fantastic job there Duncan as usual.
8) 8) 8)

You're right, Alex.

In the flesh it was fine - it's the flash that has exaggerated the grain & colour difference. I now always take photos with and without flash and use the best - you never know which one it is going to be.

Mattty":n8l1bzuz said:
That looks great mate. How much? Bout £2.5k?

3.5 actually.

Well, it was Alderley Edge. Think Ilkley but with money!

:D

Karl":2x98sen7 said:
Nice job Brad - good money too!

It was alright.

This job took me 2 weeks in the workshop and 3 days fitting - which on this occasion I deigned to do myself!

Add a couple of days discussing the plans with the client etc and working things out and you can reckon on three weeks.

£500 materials and I'm making a grand a week. Take off my overheads and it's down to £850 or so.

I really don't know why I bother...

:wink:

PS I sold three kitchens last week which involve no actual work at all - just ordering stuff up and organising things.

Now that's good money!

Back