Arts & Crafts-style TV Stand (English Oak) - Finished

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks great Olly well done =D>

I think I prefer the darker look. Take it easy with your back.

Harry

Thank you guys. My back's feeling a lot better after a couple of days and I realised earlier today that my TV isn't that heavy after all. :)

So, here are a couple of shots with everything in its new home. It's nice to be able to switch to TV on/off with stubbing my toe on the Xbox now! :wink:

2371050003_3268bdc36b.jpg

2371886258_5c5d441c94.jpg

I think that for one of my next projects, I'll have to look at making some kind of wall-hanging Book Shelf - don't worry, there are many, many books (you can just about see a mountain-high shelf-full of them in the reflection on my TV screen). :D

The DVD/Games shelf I made a couple of years ago was full within months of finishing it as well. :)

hi OPJ,
thanks for posting the WIP and finished pictures. A good solid piece of furniture you've got there, good proportions too. As for the top, I dont have a problem with it - grain and marks in the wood - it just goes to show everyone that its real wood & not some bland piece of veneer with a spray on glassy finish. I quite like pieces with variation in tone and grain (even to the extent of using heartwood for contrast in colours).Its real wood, and lets celebrate it ! Look forwards to seeing the next piece. Regards, Catface.

Thanks to catface and Waka. :)

I did consider adding a row of dowels along the inside faces of the slats, to help support the shelf. But, this would have been a bit tricky to get drill them all accurately and perfectly in line. And, they could be visible. Fortunately, the corbels alone worked very well. I also drilled a second set of holes about an inch lower, so the shelf can be lowered if need be. You can't see these holes because they're hidden by the lower section of the corbels! :wink:

The orange-effect, I now realise, is actually created by the shades on the wall lights in my room. Never have liked those things since we moved in and have already managed to break one! :roll: :) I'll try removing them new time, to see what kind of a difference it makes.

Very nice piece of work Olly - well done. I like the grain and marks on the top as well - as previously pointed out this is real wood and not some IKEA tat.

Very nice work Olly. Seems a shame that so much of it is hidden away when it's got all the electronics clutter added.

Great project Olly,

Very brave of you to proceed without knowing how you were going to be attaching the shelves. I need everything planned up front :? The corbels have come out really well and as for making them adjustable, that's just great. Thanks for sharing it with us and looking forward to the next one.

Ted

Back