Turning Time in 2009

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jenx":1jl1zj3k said:
will they be staying with the one household ?

Jenx, 18 are destined to be used in the same location, (a church) just need to co-ordinate with requester which ones they prefer, remainder will go to my usual customer.

Like the night light holders Chas. Are the candles in a glass liner or something similar, can't quite make it out on the photos ?

Like the choice of timbers too, what kind of finish did you use ?

Cheers, Paul :D

Lightweeder":2bfnlmq8 said:
Lovely pieces, as always Chas. I particularly like the ones made out of two pieces, or laminated.
LW
Actually as result of trying to gather enough wood from a particular source as requested by the recipient LW, might know the major stash had been cut up into differing size blanks.

paulm":2bfnlmq8 said:
Like the night light holders Chas. Are the candles in a glass liner or something similar, can't quite make it out on the photos ?

Like the choice of timbers too, what kind of finish did you use ?

Yes Paul, I don't trust candles in wood without the glass inserts to disperse the heat, also they add sparkle to the flame effect.

________

Sanding sealer and finished off with carnauba to improve handling.

Thanks Chas. Where did you find the glass inserts ?

Likewise don't like the idea of dropping the nightlights directly into the wood, and the glass looks better aesthetically when lit or unlit as you say.

______
________At the Pencil Pots again.____Click on images for larger view.
________
________ __
________
_____________________Beech & Ash (85x115mm)

What a bizarre coincidence. I was turning a pencil pot yesterday. You'rs trumps mine to a factor of 100 tho :( :lol: Lovely wood.

spot on chas, they look amazing gives me another idea with what to fill my glass cabinet with at work, they look like they might sell.. :lol:

My first thpight was 'beer mugs'. I have never done any laminating which is daft as it's a great way of using up adds and ends and if it looked like thes I'd be more than happy.

Pete

Bodrighy":10xt29qn said:
.... I have never done any laminating which is daft as it's a great way of using up adds and ends ....
Yes Pete, the underlying reason for the laminating with the current in-work items is to use up smaller pieces, driven I must confess by my inappropriate blank sizing over the last couple of years, which has left me with a totally unbalance stock of blanks for the items being requested. In the case of the above it is also allowing me to sandwich a softer less robust spalted sample between two harder wearing pieces.

Just needs a bit of project management to speed things up because of the time lost waiting for glue-ups to dry if you try to do them singularly.

Am going to try using CA on some to see how it fares.

CHJ":rjaqccb7 said:
Am going to try using CA on some to see how it fares.

Be interested to hear how you get on Chas. I've tried hot glue and CA, neither of which worked for me. It always comes back to PVA and waiting overnight for me.

Lightweeder":33oidzh6 said:
Be interested to hear how you get on Chas. I've tried hot glue and CA, neither of which worked for me.
______
________Just for you LW.____ Done with Thin CA, just 2-3 mins before continuing turning.____Click on images for larger view.
________
________ __ __
________
___________________Ash ____________________ Ash & Beech_________________Ash & Beech

Latest posts

Back