Turning Time in 2009

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lightweeder":18evfsvi said:
...... Nice to see a pic of your off-centre jig. ...

Although the jig has it's uses LW, I tend not to bother with actually using it for off-setting most pieces now. By the time I've worked out where to position a piece and how it will present when the jig is rotated (they are not visible but the periphery of the inner disc has angular index lines) I find it quicker just to move the piece by hand and re-bond in new position.

I have a couple of glue guns, a cheap one which works, but best is the Bosch PKP 18E for consistent 'pick up and go'
p2385033_x.jpg

Those segmented bracelets are really nice :D :D
No lathe time for me yet Chas :(
I like the idea of turning jewelrey but have never tried, you have given me some insperation here, thanks
Rich

Glad to provide yet another item to the 'round toit' list Rich, quite satisfying and simple to do, if somewhat fiddly & time consuming in comparison with the odd bowl.

______
________Chunky she said._______________Click on images for larger view.

________ ___
_________________Cherry

Thanks Dave, if your 'tuit' gets anywhere near as long as mine you'd better find a bit of time to get some better heating set up in the shop. :lol:

chas, just got to say if anyone needs a mentor your the guy to do it, the bracelets, earrings, stand and everything else are amazing, some of the best stuff i have seen.
Would you by any chance have any pics of how you go about doing these beautiful turnings, as i just love WIP photos.
thanks for sharing them, definately something to aspire to..

All very nice again Chas :D
Chunky looks good.I like the way the inside as been hollowed :D
I have just been reminded 3x -"Wheres ours?" :roll:

Very nice pieces (the "chunky" look is just right :D ),and the cherry itself looks lovely.

Andrew

CHJ":2dcr7mt0 said:
Thanks Dave, if your 'tuit' gets anywhere near as long as mine you'd better find a bit of time to get some better heating set up in the shop. :lol:
No worry on that front, I am refilling the fire wood shed ready for next winter.
I have the post room staff trained to let me know when they need to get rid of a pallet, better for the wood burner than the land fill. :D

______
______Just another set, but for Steve & others interested a few WIP Pictures.
_______
_______
_______________Cherry______________Click on image for larger view.

CHJ":1p2312av said:
______
______Just another set, but for Steve & others interested a few WIP Pictures.
_______
_______
_______________Cherry______________Click on image for larger view.

chas =D> =D> =D> many thanks sir, it will be my pleasure to carefully study these pictures as i would love to replicate these amazing turnings, and now hopefully, i will.
Many thanks chas..

______
_______Yew made Beads ? ________________Click on images for larger view.
_______
_______ _______
_________________Yew_____________________________Cherry

Now we are getting into the miniatures Chas. Thinking of opening a jewellery store? Those buckets of scraps will keep you going for a while at this size.

Lovely little pieces, beads are impressive. How big / small a drill was used?

Pete

Bodrighy":2jmbqtj4 said:
.... How big / small a drill was used?...
2.5mm to match the cord Pete, still working on different methods of making sure hole is central, need to get these sort of things into the quick turnround mode.

Unfortunately the 'smalls' bin just keeps growing as I find more ways of utilising the bits left over. :oops:

I know the feeling. Are you doing the beads by making a tube then turning them off it? I haven't done beads but have with two light pulls at a time which is the same but on a larger scale. I suppose the problem is tha you can't go very deep with a 2.5mm drill without it snapping.

Just thinking aloud...Could you shape a basic tube, drill deep enough for a bead, turn off, drill the next one ad nauseum. You could do this sort of thing this size without using a tailstock, just use your jacobs chuck in the headstock.....don't tell me you've thought of this already :oops: :lol:

Pete

Will let you know what I settle on, whatever it is it's got to be the line of least aggro'.

Back