Turning Time in 2009

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lovely Chas. Would love some workshop pics of the process.

I am a pest aren't I? :lol:

______
________More Fem' Food._______________Click on images for larger view.

________ ___
__________________Yew ___________________Ash--Ash/Yew---Ash

you know, i have never been in this thread, by jeez those are really good chas, methinks i will have to selve deeper now.

You really are branching out Chas. Jewellery, segmented stuff....all of the same impeccable quality as well. I do like those last pendants and with your permission might 1/2 inch some ideas. What are you using to string them?

Pete

Bodrighy":3h6vr2ki said:
What are you using to string them?
Pete

DSCN0228.jpg

Shocked at the markup being applied by craft shops, 35 - 60p / mtr Daughter sent me some down from one of her suppliers. (under a fiver per reel)

Thanks Chas, I can get mine via a haberdashery stall ina market in Truro that sells it by the yard. Works out a lot cheaper than the craft places as you say. Even the findings are cheaper. and they also sell bits and pieces for doll making which come in handy for decoration as well.

Pete

______
______You come down from the shed with a fist full of output. :lol:
______You screw a couple up by being too casual with the drilling. #-o
______Quality control manager rules that several do not cut the mustard as is and need rework. :roll:
______
______So--just ended up with a couple of bits for the mix and match bin.
_______
_______
_______________Laburnum______________Click on image for larger view.

I think those pendant shapes would be excellent in a much larger form as a wall hanging

I think what makes these a bit special is the way the grain is in them. Knowing you I doubt if it is accidental but I do query having sio many bits and leftovers that just happen to have the grain in the right alignment :lol: I haven't done anuy for a while and seeing these I am thinking maybe I need to get my small jaws back on the chuck.

Pete

Yes have actually put brain in gear and tried to use the grain to make them work Pete. Either removing pith by centring hole on it or repairing any small shakes with CA and using it as point of focus.

Don't need chuck jaws other than to hold sacrificial wood/mdf Pete, just tack slice to be worked with Hotmelt (sorry) for off centre working.
Will go up shed for pic. when NCSI has finished (can't miss my Abbey Fix)

Grabbed these during a commercial, ready for hole boring, if wood has finish applied (Melamine) glue peels off ok.
You can see MDF damage from peeling previous glue patches off.

DSCN0231.jpg

DSCN0232.jpg

______
________Last for a couple of days, need to sort some more segment bits out._______________Click on images for larger view.

________ ___
_________Ash--Ash/Yew---Laburnum_____________Laburnum

Jenx, a few tips, drill a starting hole from tailstock for the off-centre depression, makes it easier to start the curve with bowl gouge.
When you turn it round to do other side use whatever you have of suitable size in the tailstock to align the off centre hole whilst you re-fix it.

Remember the hole will be bigger when you work the second side in towards the centre so don't make the centre hole too big from first side.

Apply finish to all worked areas of disk as you go, certainly before fixing with Hotmelt if you hold it my way, easier to release.

Chas - full of admiration as always. Nice to see a pic of your off-centre jig. Wondered how you had done that. Please :oops: :oops: what's hotmelt. Is tht the trade name ?

Latest posts

Back