Turning Time in 2009

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost looks like a skin of an onion..Wonderful
finish and shape...There is some for sale on eBay
Item number 120392897772
£17.99 and £9.99 postage is this a bit steep..
Just been looking at your: Wood Hazard Info
It really is an eye opener.. :shock:
Thanks for the info page...

Bodrighy":2l8ts5hr said:
What lovely markings Chas.
________Click on image for larger view.

________
Grain pattern is down to someones pruning a generation or so ago.

Bodrighy":2l8ts5hr said:
Bet the workshop smells nice nowPete
Certainly opens up the sinuses Pete, washing hands hardly shifts it.

hog&bodge":1qfbinwf said:
.....Just been looking at your: Wood Hazard Info
It really is an eye opener.. :shock:
Thanks for the info page...

Glad to hear it was of use, wood is such a wonderful subject to get absorbed in and being something that surrounds our everyday life it is easy to miss the fact that it can be a danger if not handled correctly.

Everyone who aspires to using an arc welder is soon aware that not to have adequate eye protection is going to be immediately hurtful and more than likely to destroy their eyesight.

Wood however seems innocuous and can sneak up on you if similar robust self protection is not practiced.

Nice looking bowl Chas,with a nice grain pattern to it :D
Do you not get an allergic reaction from Cedar as you do with some other timbers. :?:

Paul.J":2o5l01vh said:
Do you not get an allergic reaction from Cedar as you do with some other timbers. :?:
It can be a little obnoxious if given a chance but current measures seem to keep it in its place.

______
________Three of a kind______________Click on image for larger view.

________
_______________Laburnum

Paul.J":bautwbue said:
Did you sort a better quicker way of doing these now Chas :?:
No Paul still using same process, I have a couple of dozen part turned blanks still to use up.

Will definitely be changing method of spill prevention though for any future run to reduce process time, just have not got my head round new mandrel or holding jig yet.

Chas - I love these. Was just about to make a couple but they would have been quite plain. I might try to copy yours, if you don't mind. Is the internal stem a dowel, or did you turn the whole mechanism?

All pieces are turned LW, soon as the Rugby is over on the box I'll try and copy my crude sketches as a guide and pm them.

See page 16 of bits and pieces below for basic form, although now developed to avoid spilling with trapped piston.

EDIT: Lightweeder, check your PM Box.

CHJ":27k6riej said:
All pieces are turned LW, soon as the Rugby is over on the box I'll try and copy my crude sketches as a guide and pm them.

See page 16 of bits and pieces below for basic form, although now developed to avoid spilling with trapped piston.

EDIT: Lightweeder, check your PM Box.

CHJ - thanks for PM and have replied.

I'm just finding my way 'round this site and learning how to use it. Your 'Bits and Pieces' is fantastic. Have to go out as we speak, but I'll drool over it when I get back.

Thanks again.

______
________A few more after dinner aids.______________Click on image for larger view.

________
_________________Beech

Its Hat Doffing time again !

Superb repitition stuff Chas ... thats to be admired in the highest !
They look absolutely fantastic to me...
A skill to aspire to.. I cannot turn two things the same, supposing my life depended on it !
Brilliant !

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

You sure that isn't one holder superimposed over each other? :twisted: :twisted: :wink:

Excellent, really nice job there Chas, I've made 2 of those since they came on the scene last year. Very impressed, hope you've got a market for them.

Jenx, it's not that difficult if you plan a little process approach.

Main thing is to try and do it so that the repetition does not become boring or a chore.

Because these were from green wood they were actually started Feb.08.
The wood blanks were rough turned and bored prior to putting aside to dry, when dry they were finished bored to size and end details worked to finished length, each process done as a batch so that tool changing was at a minimum.
Likewise all components are done as batch but checking clearances are satisfactory, forming a set of parts for each piece.
Finally external diameter turned on a mandrel which acts as a size guide and ensures reasonably concentric.
Assembly and final buffing also done as batch so that tool and consumable handling is at a minimum.

Ah, ! now I recall seeing them earlier ! ( Having followed the link ) :D
Fantastic to see the project coming to fruition as finished articles.

Appreciate your modesty in saying it wasn't too arduous a task following a set production procedure.. but still I'm of the belief that the set shows what I reckon is quite a considerable achievement, Chas.
They're stunners. 8) 8) 8) 8)

______
________A trial of a different finish for me.______________Click on images for larger view.

________ __ __
_________________Laburnum__________________210 mm H_________________Lemon Oil finish.

Latest posts

Back