Turning Time in 2009

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
______
________Back to basics______________Click on images for larger view.

________ __ __
__________________95mm______________________95mm______________________105mm

Chas does a Corny !

Lovely as ever, Chas ... what's your take on the Lemon Oil ?
George swears by it .. which is recommendation in itself, of course..

Reason I ask, is that I will be in picking up some more finishing oil and a few bits of 'goodies' tomorrow morning, and if there's TWO of you saying its good.. then it really has got to be on the shopping list ! :D

Love the Tealights ... 'basics' as you call them ! :lol: :lol:
They look just the ticket !
8) 8) 8) 8)

Jenx, early days for me to make any meaningful comments on it, only just getting used to its ability to follow you around for hours no matter how many times you wash your hands etc. :lol:

It is very low viscosity not much different to kerosene, the Laburnum sapwood soaked it up as though it was blotting paper, amazing to watch.
I can see why George likes it for his green turnings, I can envision it balancing the moisture losses and reducing localised stresses.

This piece is not fully dry and has a not unattractive mat finish, will see how it goes with other pieces regarding buffing, waxing etc. I think it will, like all finishes depend on the wood species and personal preference.

All that have handled it have been positive about the aroma although I would be wary bringing a wet item into a confined space until the white spirit base had evaporated somewhat..

Think it will become a staple finish for me in the future, somewhat slower to apply and finish due to drying time as with most oils but looks like a simple no mar finish that could be popular.

SOLD ! I'll pick some up tomorrow to try 8) 8)

Always admire the way George's finishes look on his pics, ...
I've been using a lot of Liberon Finishing Oil, which I quite like.. but it does tend to be a bit 'shiny'... fine for certain pieces I dare say, not so clever for others.. and a nice, more 'matty sheen' will be another alternative.

Quite fancy having a wee bit 'experiment' with different things. 8)

Just have to try and turn something nice, now .. :lol: :lol:

______
________Pill Platters.______________Click on image for larger view.

________
_____________Ash & Yew 50mm

Chas. Pill platters,I'm on 14 daily and Clair is on 18 how big is your wood pile :lol: :lol: . One problem with them is keeping out of the reach of Little Fingers, But I suppose could also used as Sweetie treats.Grear Idea REgards Boysie.

______
________A few more scraps sorted.______________Click on image for larger view.

________
_________Laburnum, Cherry, Yew & Ash

______
________Bowls and Bits______________Click on images for larger view.

________ __ __ __

______________Beech (150mm)_______________Beech (137mm)_________________Cherry)_______________________Palm

Some really nice stuff there Chas, especially some of the light holders. Great variety of coloured timbers as well.

Thanks Tam, not exactly exotic turning but I need to get rid of a lot of the small offcuts lying around and have orders for odd craft events, gift requests etc. all the way up to next Xmas so am trying to kill two birds with one stone so to speak and get things out of the way.

Love the pendants. Oddly, my missus doesn't like wooden jewellery, so I doubt I'll ever get the chance to have a go.

I like all of these Chas. The tee light holders are all a cut above (mine).

The hoop pendants look narrower at the top. Is that clever turning or the angle of the photo?

Lightweeder":16c5br6p said:
....The hoop pendants look narrower at the top. Is that clever turning or the angle of the photo?

Home made Off-Centre Chuck thingy, funny how it's harder to do something deliberately that happens by accident often enough. :lol:

______
________Fiddling again.______________Click on image for larger view.

________
_______________Yew & Elm

Latest posts

Back