Turning Time in 2009

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
______
________B.o.B.B.O.*_______________Click on images for larger view.

________ ___
____________Irish Bog Oak & Cherry_________Base 180mm X 95mm

________ ___ ___
________
________
____________*B.o.B.B.O. Bit of Boysie's Bog Oak. Thanks Eugene.

Wow Chas...what books have you been reading> That is ..dare I say it....#artistic :lol:

Seriously it's a lovely piece of work and a beautiful combination of woods. How big is it? Looks small in the image but can't really tell

Pete

My sentiments exactly. The first word that popped into my head was WOW.

Well done Chas this is really nice indeed.

Chas, I tend to be a big fan of your pieces anyway.. but this is something really special ! Thats a beautiful combination of woods, and the design aspect is superb.

A little bit of Bobham influence ?

Thats a great bit of work...really very attractive.
You're right 'on the money' with this.. ( not that you're ever far off it :wink: :lol: )... lovely, lovely work 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :D

Chas I love these. I've been doing some myself, but they don't look this good :( Please tell me, a) what are you using to sand and b), is that a complete insert, or have you just dyed the bum to match the lid :?:

Lightweeder":1umcm0yv said:
...Please tell me, a) what are you using to sand and b), is that a complete insert, or have you just dyed the bum to match the lid :?:

All separate pieces LW, what sanding, it's all straight off the tool :^o :whistle: :^o :whistle:
Fortunately both woods required very little work, finishing well with the tools.
A touch of Grip a disc to blend curve disjoints left by tooling then Abranet/ Hermes RB406/Rhino brand, can't give a definitive as some pieces/grades just seem to perform better at differing times, got now as I just pick up the bit that seems appropriate.

DSCN0314.jpg

That's a new twist on the way I do it - and in some ways might be easier :wink: :wink: Thanks Chas. As ever, I might try to copy what you've done - hope you don't mind :)

Lightweeder":1w9f8fnx said:
..... As ever, I might try to copy what you've done - hope you don't mind :)

Your welcome LW, somebody somewhere sparked the idea for me, just needs a bit of thought on the 'chicken-egg' front to decide which bit gets finished first.
Seemed the best approach given my aversion to putting hands anywhere near spinning finger cutters.

CHJ":1gfzv99h said:
Lightweeder":1gfzv99h said:
..... As ever, I might try to copy what you've done - hope you don't mind :)

Your welcome LW, somebody somewhere sparked the idea for me, just needs a bit of thought on the 'chicken-egg' front to decide which bit gets finished first.
Seemed the best approach given my aversion to putting hands anywhere near spinning finger cutters.

Agree on the spinning finger cutters - clearly the sanding's a problem - especially for us novices who can't get that good a finish. If the 'egg' section is part of the whole, the curve underneath can be quite sharp, and I've been doing mine by hand. I've just ordered the grip-a-disc from toolpost, tho' a sander could get a nasty bite in there just the same, so not sure how it works, but we'll see. You have some brilliant ideas Chas :wink: :wink:

LW - I hope you don't mind me saying this, but I don't think this is a suitable project for a beginner (hopefully others agree!). The wings are likely to cause real problems, in terms of turning at high speed to improve cut and the danger of fingers close to the spinning wings.

I'd suggest learning better tool control before attempting a project such as this.
If you want to try the insert idea you could turn the light wood in Chas's project as a complete circle - you wouldn't be able to see under the bowl but it would be a good learning exercise.
Turning the item all as one but with the light wood as a full circle again would also be a good exercise - getting the transition from the inner bowl to the outer bowl can be tricky.

The problem when starting out is that you may try to run before you can walk, which is likely to cause frustration, possible injury, and perhaps put you off turning.

Duncan

I must agree with Duncan on this one. I have a number of litle scars on my fingers due to turning natural edges, winged stuff and off balance work before I really knew what I was doing. (Not that I do now :lol: ) An alternative, if you have a bandsaw is to do as Duncan suggests but make the circle bowl shaped with the hole and then cut it into a strip on the saw. Same effect, less painful (as long as you are careful woth the bandsaw)

pete

Don't worry folks, LW is on the PM circuit on the safety front, although she has done similar before. I don't do rotating wings, can't get the thickness and finish consistent without the support.

Thanks for the comments, just trying to do something different with the Bog Oak.
Not easy to use, turns well but has a lot of hidden splits that don't show until you start working it. CA glue does not react well with it and is reluctant to cure. Trying PVA and a little more patience with the next piece.

Chas!! engineered art!! Very nice! It has your perfect finish, well thought out planning AND is artistic!! I love it!!

We will have you over to the dark side yet!! :lol: :lol:

duncanh":1u2t7gg7 said:
LW - I hope you don't mind me saying this, but I don't think this is a suitable project for a beginner (hopefully others agree!). The wings are likely to cause real problems, in terms of turning at high speed to improve cut and the danger of fingers close to the spinning wings.

I'd suggest learning better tool control before attempting a project such as this.
If you want to try the insert idea you could turn the light wood in Chas's project as a complete circle - you wouldn't be able to see under the bowl but it would be a good learning exercise.
Turning the item all as one but with the light wood as a full circle again would also be a good exercise - getting the transition from the inner bowl to the outer bowl can be tricky.

The problem when starting out is that you may try to run before you can walk, which is likely to cause frustration, possible injury, and perhaps put you off turning.

Duncan

Thanks Duncan and Pete, and appreciate your concern. However, I've already finished four. Chas is aware I've already made this the hard way, and his approach is a lot safer :wink: and, I have to say, much better :(

Back