Turned items for critque

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If they are your first Braveheart then you have much to be Brave and hearty about!

Very nice - Well done.

My personal favourite is
IMG_3421-1.jpg
becaued of the figuring and the shape.

But to be honest it's very difficult to select one!

My first few turned items, braveheart. They ain't bad at all, some nice examples of bowls, (look out Chas), and those pots look good too.

One thing that did catch my eye was the inside of the first bowl, it looks as if you have left some sanding marks in the bottom. Or could be the light, but if sanding, spend a bit more time on the sanding. Not much else I can say really. Nice work!

Your first few turned items ??

No way - I'm not buying that. Some superb pieces in there - the inlays, the finish of the undersides ?

Or am i just rubbish ?

High Loz, Yes I can confirm that these turned items that you have seen are my first turned items. There is indeed one other member (radicalwood) of this forum that actually got me my first lathe which has about 2 months ago been replaced by a Coronet No 3. Indeed he also was strongly in favour of me posting some of my work on this site a little while back, but I was actually not sure of my work and it's quality.

superb effort, you must have the nack!!
i'll see if i can find any photos of my first effort- if i cant -imagine a round block of wood with a slight dip in the middle with lots of torn grain.

Better than most of us produced/are producing (delete as appropriate) in the early days. Especially impressed with your dedication to detail. What have you used for the fill? Looks like stone powder.

Keep 'em coming

Pete

braveheart":m8zr1xof said:
but I was actually not sure of my work and it's quality.

Well you can relax ! - i've seen worse pieces on some famous names galleries. Please tell me you have some previous woodworking background,

gad - Feeling very amateur now !!!

Hey, come off it, no way are those your first pieces! They are superb. And if they are your first, who tutored you, 'cos I could sure do with some of the same :(

Lots of nice pieces,and plenty of variety (of both shape and timber) :D

Keep posting piccies,impressive stuff.

Andrew

I like the simple lip form on this oak dish:
th_IMG_2788.jpg

Flows cleanly and provides an easily gripped lip for picking up the bowl when full.

:shock: I would just like to take up a few more minutes of your time to say many thanks for all your comments. What you have seen truly are my first few turned items. As can be seen from my profile, I live in Leamington Spa and after what can only be described as having a dabble on a old sigle tube type lathe Name not sure about but it was somethig like Nareoke, I went down to the Toolpost and bought a 3/4" roughing gouge and played some more . But perhaps even more important was that Peter Hemsley bothered to allow me to wander around the shop looking at the array of tools that I had to a large extent, no idea what they could be use for or what they can do. The final thing that Mr. Hemsley did was to give me a sound bit of advice. " join a wood turning club " which after a period of several weeks I took the plunge and went to see Eric Taylor and a few of the"core team" behind the Coombe Abbey Wood Turning Club. When I went I took 2 bowls with me and eventually plucked up enough courage to show them and asked is they reflected an acceptable standard. So that is me, No teaching!, been turning around 12 month thats it. Many thanks once again. Oh! .P.S. the inlay I have been asked about is a product, sold by Turners Retreat it is called Inlace, the colour is called Lynsey and I bought it at Wood Ex 2008 :)

Back