truble finding a decent hardwood stockist

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlegreenmartian

Reaction score
hey guys. i've been searching the internet high and low and i'm struggling to find a decent stockist of hardwood. i've got in touch with a few local to me (wakefield, west yorkshire) and the either dont do certain woods or want you to buy in bulk or get rediculous sized boards. is there anywhere that stock most hardwoods and will cut them down to the dimensions you give them or am i going to have to bite the bullet and end up getting something miles bigger than i need.
any advice or opinions welcomed with open arms.
cheers

what timbers are you looking for? there are a few suppliers in west yorks, but for the hobbyist, I have found them a bit lacking. You will almost certainly have to buy full boards, some of which will be wider and longer that you want.

What are you looking at making?

I would also recommend not trying to buy anything that they dont stock- if they have to get it in, it will be expensive.

Some places will cut to size, others charge a lot for doing so.

I don't live in Yorkshire but I usually find I can get what I need from the offcuts section of my local suppliers. It's worth asking if they have one.

Also, although you can use the web to find merchants, very few trade on line (to the extent of letting you order something from a price list). There are just too many complications to make it worthwhile. I find it helps to think of timber merchants as resembling greengrocers - they can't accurately predict what they will have in stock, or how good it will be compared to what they had last time, what size bits it will come in or what it will cost. So don't be put off if you find websites which just give you a general indication of what they generally stock and invite you to visit or phone.

Try these too (if you haven't already), the first two are often our first port of call.

http://www.duffieldtimber.com/ - may be a trek but they're well stocked helpful and reasonably priced

http://www.laver.co.uk/ - they'll ship material to a branch near you, selection might be an issue

'Dragon Timber' in Leeds - not used myself but they may be able to help

Cheers,

Jim

No mention of Brtish Hardwoods in Keighley?!

Great staff, great service. Prices aren't too bad but depends what you are getting. Always quality product though and will happily let you pick through stuff.

Its a few years since I lived in Yorkshire, and a little bit of a drive from you, but John Boddy (web address above) was quite good at this sort of thing. They used to have a big warehouse with bins of sawn timber in various sizes - really wide selection of exotics and native. If you're only looking for a few boards I'd saw they are worth the trip if the set up is the same as it was. I seem to remember them being fairly amenable about slightly larger quantities too, although not the sort of yard (as I recall) where one could clamber over timber stacks and pick and choose oneself...

If you fancy a trip further afield, Somerscales in Grimsby/Immingham were excellent when I went, on the recommendation of a couple of other forum members. They will take packs down for you and help you look through. Prices were keen. I got a few boards of different things in the car to make it worth the trip. Unfortunately I want some more of their cherry, but it isnt really worth the trip to go for just a couple of boards.

It also depends a bit on what you want. They had a lot of native timber, and some imported, but nothing exotic. For a single board it may be worth paying top wack and just getting it locally. In most cases, the cost of the wood is tiny compared to the work that you put into the finished piece, so you could spend a day trying to save a tenner. I find lavers a bit pricey but they do have a decent range, it is 2 square edged so cuts down on wastage and it is handy.

You mentioned making a chopping board in another post. If you cant get enough offcuts to make it, why not get a board that will allow you to make a couple more and use them for presents. They would make a great wedding present, christmas present etc. Offcuts can be great, but sometimes it is far easier to get a full board, machine it as a single length for your project and use your own offcuts for the next project, rather than trying to make things work from bits and pieces. Some projects are easier to do so than others.

Back