Extending 'Flip-Top' Dining Table - Finished!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, guys. :)

Yeah, I would've used a scraper also, if only it was a small area... Truth is, these scratches were everywhere! :oops:

In fairness to the manufacturers, the oil had no effect on clogging any of the abrasives. I even used an old 60g especially for this (no, I don't throw anything away!! :D) and it seemed to bring it back to life...

If it was a varnish or something then, yes, I definitely would've used another method. This was only the first coat of oil; most of it gets soaked in to the wood and, provided you wipe away the excess straight after applying it, there's nothing to worry about. 8)

George, I'm stick of the stuff (beech) - won't be playing with it again any time soon unless it's of the 'Steamed' European variety (which should have a lower moisture content and be far less prone to splitting). Norm's glue and sawdust trick didn't work either; I'm still left with black lines where the cracks are! :x Oh, well.

This post marks the end to another long-running saga... Truth be told, I actually finished oiling it two-to-three weeks ago. Before now, I've not had a chance to get it all together properly.

I did have to trim one of the keys back flush. :oops:

4322420450_48660db6f4.jpg

When I measured a spacing between the stretchers for the central leaves, I didn't account for the width of the keys - so, I had to remove one from each side, as they were fouling the pivot blocks mounted to the stretchers. :roll:

You might even argue that they're not necessary, with the slots cut in the stretchers rails...

4321688529_1f35413213.jpg

Some shots of the finished table:

4322425810_10513d0b6b.jpg

4321709643_aea991269c.jpg

(Sorry, my dog demanded to be in this one! :D)

4322427566_cce570f653.jpg

4321713353_e32c7e7443.jpg

Although this end leaf won't quite butt up to the others (still needs a little fettling, somewhere :x), the extended table top is more stable than I could've hoped (thanks largely to those wooden keys). Currently at 1800mm long, I'm half-expecting mum may now ask me to trim it... :roll: :wink:

4322448602_3a3d7ebae1.jpg

That central runner/slide acts as a travel stop (...purely by coincidence!! :wink:)

I'm glad this job is done though, I don't plan to tackle any more pieces of furniture until the spring, when the weather's a bit warmer (I'll be trying to reorganise the workshop, in the mean time). As glad as I am to see the back of this, I've learnt many things along the way... Most importantly of all; NEVER WORK WITH ENGLISH BEECH AGAIN!!! :twisted:

4321690273_e43323dccb.jpg

It's almost like this stuff hasn't stopped growing or shrinking... I almost wish I'd gone for sycamore, now. Though, I'll definitely be using steamed European beech, in future (for anything more than 1in. thick). That worktop finish from Smith & Roger has come out really well. It's more of a "surface coating" (in Ian's words) and it doesn't darken the wood like Danish or Linseed oils.

4321717079_94606066d2.jpg

Well, it does also accommodate four-chairs much better than our old pine table did. Thank God she's BUYING the new ones!! :shock: 8)

Thanks for following this thread (and also for your patience). :)

Nice :). Thanks for posting projects like this, you're far more advanced than I'll ever be, and I learn lots from you...

Boz

OPJ, It looks great. I constantly amazed by the standard of work you produce - given the amount of space you have to work in it's even more of an achievement.

Thats Brilliant Olly, to echo others you really turn out great work in such a small space!

You're a natural Olly. You'll never be hungry mate ;)

Well done, I do like the design. Very nice.

Thanks for all the replies. :)

Mum likes it so much she's now talking about buying a cover to protect it and keep it clean (my sister makes more mess than our dog)!! :roll: :D

I feel like bit of a . though... After uploading these photos and loading my Bosch mitre saw in to the back of the courier's van, I set about cleaning up my planer/thicknesser, which has suddenly become covered in rust... It's my own fault, as I was wearing thin fingerless gloves but, I managed to slice my thumb on one of the sharp knives! :oops:

Might have to stay clear of the workshop for the next few days, possibly a week. :( Blood all over the floor, my thumb's wrapped up like a giant gobstopper... This is one of those moments where you wish you could regenerate, like Claire in Heroes.... Instead, both my hands were even bloodier than Sylar's! :wink:

I can still feel - no, actually, I can taste or smell the steel?! :shock: - when I think about what happened. If only I'd worn a thicker pair of gloves (and I was going to...) :(

That is one beautiful table Olly. I should imagine it weighs a ton, hope Mum doesn't have to move it much. (I know just how heavy the Beech table I made was when we came to move it) I really like the intricate movement of the flip out centre. Great work. :D

Very clean, unfussy, nicely judged curves. Really good stuff, and a lovely finish.

Hi Olly,
Nice job!
Thanks for going to the trouble to document and WIP the project, I really enjoyed the read.

Malc :D

I read this whole thread but for some reason hadn't realised what mechanism this uses. Do you have a video of it in action?

Chems, give me a week or so and I'll hopefully be able to shoot another short video (as I did with the drawer-leaf table). It needs a bit of tweaking as the operation isn't quite as smooth as I'd like... I think this bloody beech has moved again! :x

Thanks. :)

Ironballs":1xekvc1l said:
Don't worry Olly, I enjoy a good prevarication as much as the next man, half the fun of this is being stood in the garage with a cuppa with a thousand yard stare pondering things.

IB,

Oh how true.. and whilst staring, wondering when SWIMBO will appear with the cheese on toast for elevenses! (Hoping she doesn't forget the Worcestershire Sauce!)

John ! :D

Olly as a newbie I really enjoyed looking back from the start to finish.
One question I do have is what do you reckon the man hours were for the finished article.

Respect

Back