Trimble Towers Workshop Tour (Beware, lots of big pics)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TrimTheKing":21xgyiz9 said:
That is my problem now, changing my entire mentality of 'let's go in there and see what happens' and to start having a plan of what I need tp do to make sure I make the best of the little time I will have.

We line in a converted barn on an old farm, so there is only us and the farmhouse, which is about 30yds away. I have tested it with the neighbour by chopping some big lumps of oak, with extractor on and window open while he was stood in the courtyard and he said he could hardly hear a thing. Happy Days :lol:

And also, with the door shut (it's a nice thick fire door) I can do anything, even at 11pm and still not disturb SWMBO watching telly 2 rooms away :D

That's fantastic - it's an even better space with that added benefit. I can't really do anything beyond 8-9pm because of our location, even when I am 'off duty' family-wise (unfortunately that is due to change as we're buying a house with no workshop/garage space at all in a month or two, so don't know what I'm going to do then!!).

So we'll be seeing some WIPs of the output from new 'shop soon then....? :wink:

ste_5150":2h9gq1cx said:
So we'll be seeing some WIPs of the output from new 'shop soon then....? :wink:
That's the plan :wink:

I came up with a couple of ideas on the train last week. I have been focussing on bigger projects but the problem is they take so much longer to finish, so I'm changing my angle of attack and am going to work on a few smaller items so as to get something of substance done, then once I've knocked out a couple of bits I will go back to the bigger things on my list.

Bummer about you losing your workshop space though. Is there enough space to build a big shed?

Orrrrrr, North Wales isn't that far from Warrington. I have another house still up for sale just up the road from me, same situation as ours (barn on a non working farm) with a 6x5m detached garage that would suit just perfectly... :wink:

TrimTheKing":i983ej2w said:
My main conundrum at the moment is what to do about the table saw and PT. Currently the fence of the PT comes up higher than the table ofthe TS, so ideally I need to get the TS up higher.

I can get a little bit of height back by taking the PT off its wheel base and having it on the floor, but I lose the ability of a quick move around then.

Other though was, taking TS off its wheel base and using some of the 4x2's I have knocking about to make a raised plinth for it to sit on. That way it's easier to get underneath to tighten up extraction, solves the height issue with PT and also brings it up to a better working height for 6'3" me and my crippled spine :D

Any thoughts on this idea, and if this is the best way to do it?

I think you've answered your own question there, Mark! :D You don't want to lose the ability to move your plane. You've got an awful lot of space around it but, you never know. 4"x2" should be strong enough, without question.

Hi mark

for most of us with small shop space is the main problem but in your it's not an issue , With the smaller shop that why a lot use wheel to push machinery about and at the same time usually make the work bench table saw and planer thickness-er all the same bed height (ignoring guards ) so they can at times be use as extension beds whilst using other machines depending on what materials sizes your are preparing.

As i see your conundrum is only to make the plan and saw bed the same height a height that will suite you back problems you have plenty of space to anchor them where they are if that where you want them why the need for wheels :?: .hc

head clansman":38pup6qr said:
Hi mark

for most of us with small shop space is the main problem but in your it's not an issue , With the smaller shop that why a lot use wheel to push machinery about and at the same time usually make the work bench table saw and planer thickness-er all the same bed height (ignoring guards ) so they can at times be use as extension beds whilst using other machines depending on what materials sizes your are preparing.

As i see your conundrum is only to make the plan and saw bed the same height a height that will suite you back problems you have plenty of space to anchor them where they are if that where you want them why the need for wheels :?: .hc
Mark - I'd agree with HC, make a plan and bolt everything down. One of my pet hates is machines on wheels with associated trailing cables - Rob

Wonderful workshop tour, Mark....thanks for taking the trouble. You clearly have too much space!! Nice photos, too.....my daughter has just shown me the delights of Canon Photostitch.....you must have quite a wide angle lens, too.

I have spotted one or two weaknesses in the arrangements.....

.........the clock location is very far from ideal. I would suggest hanging it on a wall.:D

........your clamp storage is going to look pretty silly when the door opens.

On a serious note, that is the sort of size of workshop which can easily cope with a tablesaw, without it overwhelming the space. If I had that space I would probably go for a bigger bench, and some more flat working surfaces at the same height.......I might even be tempted to have a seperate finishing area.

I bet you have a wood storage area elsewhere, don't you?

Anyway, excellent tour!

Mike

Mike Garnham":xkj7f3co said:
Wonderful workshop tour, Mark....thanks for taking the trouble. You clearly have too much space!! Nice photos, too.....my daughter has just shown me the delights of Canon Photostitch.....you must have quite a wide angle lens, too.

I have spotted one or two weaknesses in the arrangements.....

.........the clock location is very far from ideal. I would suggest hanging it on a wall.:D

........your clamp storage is going to look pretty silly when the door opens.

On a serious note, that is the sort of size of workshop which can easily cope with a tablesaw, without it overwhelming the space. If I had that space I would probably go for a bigger bench, and some more flat working surfaces at the same height.......I might even be tempted to have a seperate finishing area.

I bet you have a wood storage area elsewhere, don't you?

Anyway, excellent tour!

Mike
Hi Mike

Yep, clock needs a little tlc before it's ready for mounting. Not very well weather sealed and was outside... :oops:

Up and over door is completely sealed up with mastick from the outside to keep rain out, so slim chance of losing the clamps :wink: If I get the tuit I want to either commission or build a nice big set of properly weather sealed double barn doors (maybe even with a small row of windows along the top of them for more natural light) to replace the up and over, then I can open them as and when I feel, and also remove the metal framing which, even though it's above head height, bugs me.:D

Bigger bench is something I want to build so that will be an ongoing project...

Unfortunately wood storage is non existent at the moment. I was considering what Olly mentioned, building some kind of mezanine suspended from the big roof beams, but not sure how to best approach it. Was hoping you might have an idea or two in that direction ;)

Re, working space and finishing area, these are all the kind of things that I will be looking to incorporate once I have spent a bit more time working in there and found the mojo. :D

Cheers

TrimTheKing":1pki0a3u said:
Unfortunately wood storage is non existent at the moment. I was considering what Olly mentioned, building some kind of mezanine suspended from the big roof beams, but not sure how to best approach it. Was hoping you might have an idea or two in that direction ;)
Cheers

It should be relatively easy to do something across your roof void, given those 2 great lumps of wood up there.

What size are they (LxWxD), and how far apart are they? Also, a rough idea of the roof pitch would help........

Mike

Mike Garnham":1zhnnq9z said:
TrimTheKing":1zhnnq9z said:
Cheers

It should be relatively easy to do something across your roof void, given those 2 great lumps of wood up there.

What size are they (LxWxD), and how far apart are they? Also, a rough idea of the roof pitch would help........

Mike
Hi Mike

The beams are 10" square, just over 6m long and just under 3m apart on centre. They don't appear outside so assume they rest on the internal brick course.

hi mark

now i see why you got a bad back, machines on wheels with all that rubber matting when you need to move one you have to lift it up and onto the matting.

My advice anchor them :wink: .hc

TrimTheKing":prst0aiy said:
Bummer about you losing your workshop space though. Is there enough space to build a big shed?

Orrrrrr, North Wales isn't that far from Warrington. I have another house still up for sale just up the road from me, same situation as ours (barn on a non working farm) with a 6x5m detached garage that would suit just perfectly... :wink:

Yeah, that would be perfect...only probably a little out of budget at the mo! Unfortunately outside space in the new place is very limited. A shed is a possiblity, but definitely not a big one :roll: . Ah well, we soldier on....

Back on topic, I'd say with the amount of workspace, you probably won't be in a position where you need to move machines around, right? Well, that works towards another benefit - if you place them permanently there's a very good excuse for it not becoming a photography studio.... :wink:

Back