Trend Airshield Pro any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chunkolini

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys
I am looking at buying one of these for a mix of plasma cuting steel and sanding, both very dusty jobs.
An ordinary dust mask is no use as my spec's steam up when I wear them.
has anybody used one?

Chunko'.

I can't comment on the Trend AirShield Pro as I have never used one. However, I have always had a problem with glasses steaming up and I have used loads of different masks. Then I was racommended the Trend AirAce half mask. I works a treat and my glasses no longer steam up. It is very comfortable to wear for long periods even if it does look silly. It's cheap and new filters are pretty cheap too. You can even get a clip on face shield for it.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... espirators

I can recommend this for anyone who wears glasses and it is way cheaper than the AirShield Pro.

Ta,
Sam

I also need an impact resistant face shield, I wil be grinding and all sorts of things wearing it.
I did look at the airace, but the screen does not look as though it will stop high speed projectiles.
I have an airfed welding helmet and it works a treat never steaming up no matter how humid/cold it is in the ratcave.

Chunko'.

I have one and it's great. As said it is very heavy which is something your neck needs to get used to.

I would prefer something with the air pump etc not on top of the old noggin as I can see this becoming uncomfortable.
I did see one with a waist mounted air pump and filter, where? T'internet. When I was looking for something else.

Chunko'.

chunkolini":24qt43xi said:
I would prefer something with the air pump etc not on top of the old noggin as I can see this becoming uncomfortable.
I did see one with a waist mounted air pump and filter, where? T'internet. When I was looking for something else.

Chunko'.

Your not chunko from mig welding??

I think there is very poor and lack of choice as well as expensive filter equipment available in the UK.

does anyone know what the American market is like for this type of safety equipment?

Australia had the Triton, but it did not get an EU cert. but I found it OK, motor is around waist.

Perhaps the Japanese industrial market might even have some?

That said I did wear it for 4 hours straight yesterday. Battery life is as quotes at 8 hours which I think is impressive. It's not a fully sealed system so you do get the odd whiff of ultra small particles. The most noticeable example of this is when I'm drilling into oak on the drill press and burn the wood slightly. I've been doing a hell of a lot of sanding lately and my lungs feel clear as a bell. I also have an air ace which is good for the money but again you do get the odd whiff with that as well. The first week I had the airshield I wore it for three hours straight and woke up in agony the next day. Took a week or so for aching neck and shoulder muscles to calm down. After that I used it for am hour at a time for a week and then worked my way up. I guess I could wear it for 5 hours after which it becomes uncomfortable. I suspect by Christmas I'll be able to wear it all day. All this is fine for amature use but a pro would have three months to get used to the weight.

That's true rob but as I wear it when I'm doing something dusty, the extractor is on two. The noise is noticeable when trying it on in the house or a retailer but the reality is that the noise isn't a big issue. What is are the woeful dear defenders which only partially work meaning you have to wear plugs as well.

Tried one on today.
did not feel to bad, I suppose I do ride a motorbike and spend hours welding some weeks with a bucket on y head. The weight to my surprise felt really light.

I have been offered one for £160 or £180 inc ear defenders/spare filters.
from these guys http://www.toolite.org.uk/airshield-pro-c-158.html, local as well.

I was thinking of going for the ear defenders, so are they a waste of time then?

Chunko'.

Not a waste as such but they cost a lot if you have to buy them seperately and they don't justify the cost. If they're included as part of the deal then great but IMO they are not enough on their own.

I would also add that the filters are quite pricey. The aircap is the other option which I didn't get on with but my mate prefers it to the trend. I don't know but suspect that it's filters will be cheaper. That said it has no provision for hearing protection at all. Worth trying though.

Say fellas,

I have only just this week taken delivery of one of these JSP impact protection face masks/ respirators;

http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Health___Safety/Respirators/respirators.html

First impressions are very favourable, very light compared to the trend model. Some noise from the air flow function but not too bad.

Could prove to be the best £200 I have spent next time my face is six inches from a fast rotating router bit, or a stray piece of wood files unexpectedly from my lathe. :shock:

T

Maybe I will go for the spare set of filters, I have been happy working sans ear protection for donkeys years, I also used to motorhead gigs in my youth and ride a motorcycle, so my hearing is probably shot all ready.

Chunko'.

Hi Chunko
I have the old version of the Trend Airshield and think its great. Had it about six years and never had a problem with it. I don't find the weight or the noise any problem. The only problem that I ever had was it kept tipping forward when I bent my head but was easily fixed with a bungee cord from the back of my belt to the back of the helmet. I wear glasses and there is never a problem with them steaming up and the cool air flow over the face is great. I would recommend it.

John

Hi
I have the Air Shield pro - and really like it, don't find it heavy or to noisy (there is of course noise) what I really liked is that in the summer a steady stream of cool air was blown down the inside front of the visor.

chris

Back