Powered Respiratory Protection

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking to buy a powered dust mask for turning the two options are the Axminster APF 10 Evolution Powered Respirator with Impact Visor at £286.98 or the Trend APF20 AIR/PRO Airshield Pro Powered Respirator at £344.98

Anyone here use either one or can offer some advice?

Thanks

Gary

I have owned and used the Axminster APF10 for around 15 months and wished I had brought one sooner
Some days its on my head for around 8 hours and its fine, in fact in the summer it seem to cool you by blowing air across your face
I charge mine overnight and have never had it go flat I brought the visor protector sheets and have just fitted the second one it saves the actual visor
I blow the pre filters out with an air line every day and use the handy flow gauge to check the flow.
I have fitted what i suppose is a sweat band to the head cradle on the forehead part which i can take off and wash, i also leave the hat hanging up in the utility room every few days to keep it fresh.
Its light weight and with the power pack at the rear it balances the fan and filters at the front
If it broke or i broke it I would straight away buy the same again

Make sure, whatever you choose, allows ear defenders as well.

It looks like the Trend option takes clip-on ones. Axminster looks like they are separate and the headband has to be behind the head rather than on top of the head. Of the two you list, from this perspective, the Trend is the better bet.

I have owned and used the Axminster APF10 for around 15 months and wished I had brought one sooner
Some days its on my head for around 8 hours and its fine, in fact in the summer it seem to cool you by blowing air across your face
I charge mine overnight and have never had it go flat I brought the visor protector sheets and have just fitted the second one it saves the actual visor
I blow the pre filters out with an air line every day and use the handy flow gauge to check the flow.
I have fitted what i suppose is a sweat band to the head cradle on the forehead part which i can take off and wash, i also leave the hat hanging up in the utility room every few days to keep it fresh.
Its light weight and with the power pack at the rear it balances the fan and filters at the front
If it broke or i broke it I would straight away buy the same again
Couldn't have written that any better - brilliant bit of kit! And the ear goggles sit nicely, but as stated above, with the headband around the back of the head instead of over the top, but it makes little difference to the comfort.

I have the axminster one and I wear 3m ear protectors with the headand over the top without any issue, just have to adjust them to take into account the extra height.

Life is easier if you have back of head or in ear protection simply for the fact of being able to remove the repirator without having to also remove hearing protection.

The Trend Airshield Pro is very good (used one for years). A little heavy, and the clip on ear defenders aren't great, but the respiratory protection is excellent. Wish I'd bought one years before (when I used to breathe far too much MDF dust).

Being somewhat sensitised to the dust now I find that the full face nature of such a powered respirator really protects well from allergy issues.

I picked up a used 3M Versaflo a couple of years ago and it's a significant step up due to the weight of the battery and motor being on a belt; but the cost is also a step up.

I have used JSP Powercap Active IP for turning for the past 6 years. Very comfortable still on original battery

I have the trend airshield, it works well but it doesn`t take long to get a sore neck.
I would say if you are going to use it for any period over an hour or so per day then go for the type that has the fan/ filter assembly on the belt and just pipes for airflow to the helmet part. The 3m versaflow is excellent if you can get one at a bargain price, there are others with similar design as well like Sundstrom.
Another advantage to the 3m style is that you can actually upgrade the filters for spray paint and organic vapours, I don`t think you can do that with the other ones you mention.

You can just use earplugs with any of them, as a glasses wearer I don`t like over the ear ones as they squash my glasses/ ears into my face and its not comfy.

Ollie

Last edited:
I'd look to spend the same money on a little used but much better quality set.
You will need to be patient to land one though.
Optrel clearmaxx PAPR grinding visor
Sundstrom SR540/SR500
3M Versaflo

The 3M is the highest quality with the strongest but heavier headpiece
The Sundstom is the most versatile and has the lightest most comfortable headpiece
The Optrel sits between.

All have waist mounted fan units so the headsets are lighter more comfortable than the Axminster and Trend versions. They are much higher quality with very high new prices but £250-300 would be my target price for a good used set.

I have the Trend Airshield and can't fault it, very comfy and as another poster, the airflow over the face is refreshing, I have the clip on ear defenders as well and they work well, but I am posting as a user of only that, so can't really compare to others.

I've had the trend and agree, it get's heavy on the neck and shoulders, good bit of kit otherwise.
I also bought 2nd hand the 3M and haven't regretted it, especially if you get the light weight helmet(still offers plenty of head and face protection).
Still got the trend here for sale.

I have the Axminster and it's excellent. Well-balanced, comfortable, keeps your face cool when it's hot. No complaints other than the cost of extra batteries. But it'll last me all day so it's not a deal-breaker - can charge it overnight.

I use the trend one , just for turning and table saw .
Every thing else I try to do with hand tools - much more relaxing .

Back