Face Masks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruceK

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a decent dust mask which doesn't cost hundreds of pounds please? I find that with my old Stanley rubber one and with the disposable types, my glasses steam up, which is obviously not safe when using power tools so I tend not to use one every time I should. I'm currently doing quite a bit of work on a self-build which involves using PIR insulation board (Celotex -type) and it's nasty stuff. I realise that powered respirators are probably the best way forward and that protecting the lungs is high priority. The budget is very tight, however, and I'll need to wear my mask for pretty long periods. Thankyou in advance for your advice and input.

You need a face fit done which will confirm which mask suits you best. We do them on site all the time but I don’t know where you could have one done in a store or merchant. Maybe someone else could advise.

The problem you have is someone may recommend a mask that works well for them but if your face is a different shape you would be better off with something else.

I have the JSP Force 8 and find it very comfortable. It has a press to check feature which lets you quickly confirm the mask is properly fitted. The filters are replaceable and you can buy different ones for varying jobs. They also do other models if you need more than just the dust mask

Sean

I use a Moldex half mask. Not as comfy as my 3M half mask but the filters are a fraction of the cost so I change them more often. If cost is a factor this is definitely worth a look.

I have the trend stealth, the GVS eclipse and the Sundstrom half mask.
All three similar experience. They are pretty comfortable for the first half hour but need to be pulled pretty tight for a good seal and after an hour all of them kill me around the bridge of the nose.
The sundstrom is the best of the 3 for me but it has a substantial cartridge on the front of the mask so the better comfort is offset by greater weight pulling down further away from the face. If you need it for spraying with both an activated charcoal fume filter and a dust filter cartridge stacked together, it's a lump and hurts like hell after 4 hours, but it does work.

Some people get on with the 3M with twin filters - one each side of the nose. I've not tried the latest soft silicon version of that, but the older stiffer variant was excruciating.

Bottom line, do the work in short sessions !
Air fed is the answer but it's expensive even if you buy a used set when they come up on ebay. The day you do, it's a joy :)
I did a job where I needed to wear a half mask for pretty well 6 hours a day for a few days each time. It was purgatory. You just have to suck it up, take breaks, and maybe like I did, buy two different masks just to be able to swap between them because the pressure points can be slightly different.

Last edited:
I have the JSP Force 8 and find it very comfortable. It has a press to check feature which lets you quickly confirm the mask is properly fitted. The filters are replaceable and you can buy different ones for varying jobs. They also do other models if you need more than just the dust mask

Sean
I think that one come in different sizes ?. So how to know what fits and what doesnt.

So how to know what fits and what doesnt
I just went for the medium by guessing I have a medium sized head! The test though is to use the press to check feature - you press both filters which closes them and then if you don't have any air coming into the mask and it sucks to your face then you know you have a good seal. Only takes a couple of seconds to check so I do this each time I use the mask to make sure it is on correctly. This video shows it in action

Sean

+1 for the JSP masks. I think they work really well, especially with the press to test feature and the ability to fit different filters. I have a medium one and am of average size. My wife uses a small one, if that is of any help.

Wow!, what a fantastic response! Thanks very much for all your input. I'd no idea about having a face-fit, but it does seem a logical way to do it. It looks like I may get something like a JSP, Eclipse or Moldex to get me started. These do all seem a bit like my old Stanley though, so I will certainly look out for an air-fed mask for the longer term, especially if there are some good used ones out there. Thanks again for such constructive advice.

Face masks and beards:

I have emphysema, I knew for several years but would a GP listen?? Last year was not great for me, but eventually I got inhalers and they have got me back doing the things I love.
I use a half face mask (not early enough in my life), but having a full beard they are pretty useless.
Covid brought up some interesting research into masks, and one was particularly helpful.
The research was into masks for bearded people, and of course nothing except forced ventilation worked 100%, but they went further than disposable masks and tested half masks too. The effectiveness was poor

Here's the trick - they tried with a wide rubber band round the top of the head and covering under the chin - I've just found a link to an Australian official video showing how:

The test results were quite staggering with the effectiveness of the half mask on a beard covered by the band being better then a non-bearded person without a band!

I have a green THERA-BAND, - from Ebay - I worked out the length by trial and error then superglued the band* to make it easily reusable. Shove on head, put on mask and feel the difference!
Problems - 1. you look a total plonker, 2. you get hot - not great for a warm environment. 3. you now have a rubber band that might interfere with your ear protectors!

*I glued the ends of the band together with a 10mm overlap- - not that I glued it onto my head.

I would be I nterested to see how it would fair with a face fit test for dust as the performance criteria is different in a medical environment. Not sure you would get blokes to wear it but you could potentially use it as leverage to get them to wear the forced air kit.

I would be I nterested to see how it would fair with a face fit test for dust as the performance criteria is different in a medical environment. Not sure you would get blokes to wear it but you could potentially use it as leverage to get them to wear the forced air kit.
I found the original article about the testing, so it seems the test did comply with US Occupational Safety testing. I fully agree that getting people to look so silly might be an issue - it's OK for me, retired and hiding away in my workshop, I do have the band handy, and wear it when I'm doing intense fine sanding but then my hair gets soaked!
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41370-021-00337-1

You can’t get a good fit with a beard. You would need a forced air mask. See a link to what the HSE has to say. Particularly important if you are employing any one.

https://www.hse.gov.uk/agriculture/dustmasks.htm
I spent many a happy hour in a gas chamber in the TA, sometimes I didn’t shave off my beard and found that CS gas is not fun but after 30 years I still know my army number which we had to recite before they would let us out 😂😰😰

I found the original article about the testing, so it seems the test did comply with US Occupational Safety testing. I fully agree that getting people to look so silly might be an issue - it's OK for me, retired and hiding away in my workshop, I do have the band handy, and wear it when I'm doing intense fine sanding but then my hair gets soaked!
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41370-021-00337-1
would not of thought that to be a major concern of someone choosing to grow a beard.

Back