Trad method of cutting rebates (replacement for router)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dom alert :twisted:
dom alert, :roll:
can we see the mask slipping :roll: :twisted:

working out on my funny stanley today i think the real advantage of a power router is the reduction in time picking up a cross rail that you have tenoned and are now putting a groove into and having problems with the holding. :?

at least with the router even freehand the holding it easier because of the tool rotation rather than hand power :cry:

paul :wink:

what's that about a bad workman blaming his tools????? :roll:

one major advantage of the hand planing method of grooving is the loverly shavings you get which you can then use later to hide some of your minor :oops: mistakes, like too narrow tenons :?

and then you also get the advantage of discovering that the holes you drilled for your wonder dogs are too far from the edge, so you have to drill some more to allow more square holding of the workpiece :cry:

paul :wink:

DomValente":1xcyg6b2 said:
It's not a mask. I keep telling you, it's Paul C's bloody camera skills. :)

:) :) :)

One thing nobody has mentioned is cost. While this is probably not an issue for the professional, for the amateur once you have a #405, #45 and/or #55 (and I bought all three for less than the cost of my router), and you have learnt to sharpen the blades, there is no on-going cost. You can cut all manner of grooves, rebates, housings and mouldings at no cost. You can even make up your own cutters for special shapes. Not viable for the professional these days, but fine for the hobby woodworker who is just doing it for the enjoyment and for whom the cost of fancy router cutters is sometimes prohibitive.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":rxuxw0q9 said:
While this is probably not an issue for the professional, for the amateur once you have a #405, #45 and/or #55 (and I bought all three for less than the cost of my router), You can even make up your own cutters for special shapes. Not viable for the professional these days,

Paul

Some of the Pro's like me ( a Restorer ) can use a #405 or a plane like it to make up small runs of moulding to match old bits. :)

Quicker than a scratch stock sometimes :wink:

Colin C":1py86mco said:
Paul Chapman":1py86mco said:
While this is probably not an issue for the professional, for the amateur once you have a #405, #45 and/or #55 (and I bought all three for less than the cost of my router), You can even make up your own cutters for special shapes. Not viable for the professional these days,

Paul

Some of the Pro's like me ( a Restorer ) can use a #405 or a plane like it to make up small runs of moulding to match old bits. :)

Quicker than a scratch stock sometimes :wink:

If you can make a cutter for a moulding plane then you can do the same for a spindle moulder.
Very viable for the professional if you are in to period joinery, not least because hardly any router cutters match commonly found period mouldings, even at the obvious level of windows and doors. Don't know why they don't do it it seems so obvious.
This is the 3rd and main reason why I think routers are rubbish.
The 1st and 2nd are the noise and the dust.
The 4th reason is the slowness and unreliability esp with a long run.
There are a number of other reasons too!

cheers
Jacob

Hi Jacob

I guess I am one of the pro's that has never used a spindle moulder :shock: :-$ .

At the moment I dont have the room for one but it would be nice ( I guess ).

You do have some good points on routers but not all of us ca n get to use them, so for me its dust and noise :roll: :wink:

Regards Colin

By the way, good to see you back :)

Back