Tormek Supergrind 2000

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowhand

Reaction score
I own a Tormek Supergrind 2000. When I last used it there was a bang and the workshop fused. On inspection of the machine I found that there is a small cylinder bolted to the motor which had exploded. Can you tell me what I need to get, to make a repair. Thanks

Attachments

• Tormek motor.jpg
    Tormek motor.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 0
It looks to me like a capacitor- if you have the user manual then it will probably be listed there . If not contact tormek customer service and quote your model and serial number. As with most electrical components that fail my question would be why - are there other issues with your machine- other members may be able to offer you more specific advice.

Thank you both for your advice, I will contact AxminsterPower Tools, and see if they will repair it or supply a new capacitor.

Yes, it'll be a motor start or motor run capacitor. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it, they do fail. Once failed the motor is unable to spin up which causes an overcurrent in the same manner as a stalled motor - that'll be what tripped the fuse.

Would you be able to take a picture of so we can see the label, ideally with a ruler alongside to identify the correct can size? Identifying a replacement can be problematic but if you can source one from one of the electrical disties it's likely to be a fraction of the price of an identical "official" spare.

Are we sure a capacitor is supposed to fail by exploding ?. My saw is a bit hesitant to turn on and im putting that down to a failing capacitor. I hope its not going to suddenly explode on me.

AC induction motors, also known as asynchronous motors, use a rotating magnetic field to produce torque. Three-phase motors are widely used because they are reliable and economical. The rotating magnetic field is easily achieved in three-phase asynchronous motors because the phase angle offset between the individual phases is 120 degrees. However, single-phase AC motors require external circuitry which creates the phase angle offset in order to produce a rotating magnetic field. This circuitry can be realized using advanced power electronics, or more simply using a motor capacitor.

From EE Power

It's a start cap or a start / run cap.

Caps are not unknown to fail in dramatic ways. It doesn't necessarily point to further issue.

Replace it and it will likely be fine.

If you can't get any sense from the manufacturer, they're generic things. So long as you can read the specs off the side of the old one, ebay will offer you one with certainty.

Note, start caps are taken out of the circuit by the action of a centrifugal switch when the motor gets up to speed. Start/run caps stay in circuit the whole time.

They are both very common and, again, highly availible.

So I guess you should start looking for a replacement now @TRITON
I'm selling it in favour of a 14" bandsaw and track saw.

But I'll replace all the bits that need replaced. I shan't flog my problems off to someone else.

PS. I dont like that spider pic. Just encountered one in the bathroom and had to give it a spray of bleach cleaner. I'm not a spider fan.

Yes, it'll be a motor start or motor run capacitor. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it, they do fail. Once failed the motor is unable to spin up which causes an overcurrent in the same manner as a stalled motor - that'll be what tripped the fuse.

Would you be able to take a picture of so we can see the label, ideally with a ruler alongside to identify the correct can size? Identifying a replacement can be problem matic but if you can source one from one of the electrical disties it's likely to be a fraction of the price of an identical "official" spare.
Thanks ajs I am attaching two photos of the capacitor, as there is a lot of writing on it. it has a dia. of 25mm and as you will see from my original photo there is a white plastic cover on the electrical connection end, presumably to stop water getting on the connections. When it exploded there was all this sticky oil came out.

Attachments

• Tormek capacitor 1.jpg
    Tormek capacitor 1.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Tormek capacitor 2.jpg
    Tormek capacitor 2.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 0
An identical is about £25 on eBay, or just get a generic 4uf (again work out if it's just start or start / run that you need) is about £4

Are we sure a capacitor is supposed to fail by exploding ?. My saw is a bit hesitant to turn on and im putting that down to a failing capacitor. I hope its not going to suddenly explode on me.
They often go with just a pop as the magic smoke contained inside bursts out. But the bigger ones can certainly go with quite a bang, more magic smoke = more pressure. ;)

An identical is about £25 on eBay, or just get a generic 4uf (again work out if it's just start or start / run that you need) is about £4
Not to challenge you but that Tormek has a threaded stud on the end for mounting. I don't get around much but every motor capacitor I have ever seen does not have that stud. Not a problem if the OP is decent enough at metalworking to be able to make his own clamp substitute. He might be stuck with ordering the original part.

Pete

It'll be a run capacitor, a start capacitor would be many times the value. Stud mounting is not a particularly obscure thing, generally an M8 thread.

One thing that slightly concerns me is there appears to be a plug that goes on the end of the cap. When connections are on the cap itself? It wouldn't surprise me if it is something semi-proprietary. If you can show us another photo of the terminals you may be lucky. If not I'd say simply lop that plug off and replace it with a couple of crimp faston connectors, or even solder the wires directly to the tabs - you wouldn't be breaking any regs doing so.

A suitable replacement would be here setting you back a princely £2.62 although the small order charge will apply if it's the only thing you get.

I had just found the same item as ajs but he beat me in posting the capacitor is just the job - 3mm larger in diameter - and I bet the existing has spade connectors as well.
If not Halfords buy some connectors, crimp the connector with pliers no need to buy a crimping tool and job done

Latest posts

Back