Tools for accurate cutting and grooving MDF for dolls houses

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always use a 0.5mm pencil in the workshop or on site for accurate marking, H pencil for studwork etc, flat carpenters pencil for rough cuts and chalk or a crayon for marking cuts on sawn boards.

Another way I cross cut 8x4s into managable sizes is as follows. I tend to stack my boards vertically on the long edge raised off the floor on 4" high timbers. If I slide one board out the, the end of the boardinfront will be parallel to it. I pull the board out 36mm more than I need (blade kerf & off set from base of saw) then just run my cordless circ saw down the board like a vertical panel saw. Very quick and easy as I can work the circ saw one handed.

Jason

had a quick read, tony and i still stick by some of my words.

what i meant was if you woodwork for fun, then whether you buy
all the latest gadgets depends upon your age and family
circumstances. whenyou are younger, you don't have the money
to spend, and if you start later, then you wonder about the time
you have so go for the gadgets that allow you to work
more quickly in things like cutting out, particularly when you want
accuracy.

many of us were lucky enough to do things with our dad,
not necessarily in nice workshops either, but i do think the
basic thing that gets you back into any hobby is wanting something
different from standard.

anyway, that still does not provide a method of cutting
the bits for the dolls' houses. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

paul :wink:

jasonB":3lbdpl5u said:
Assuming the board is square when you get it.......

Now that, as you know Jason, is a heck of an assumption at times. Or have you never had an out of square sheet (or worse still an entire pack)?

Scvrit

Scrit":1s7x9kho said:
jasonB":1s7x9kho said:
Assuming the board is square when you get it.......

Now that, as you know Jason, is a heck of an assumption at times. Or have you never had an out of square sheet (or worse still an entire pack)?

Scvrit

So thats where I've been going wrong :lol: :lol:

Most of my stuff is cut to managable size before going onto the saw but it is always worth checking the diagonals if using the board edges as a reference point.

I don't get through enough to buy whole packs, 20 sheets totalling 275Kg last week was bad enough but luckily I got the driver that is willing to help carry the boards in not the one who can't :) Got the job of carrying it all up a twisty staircase next week :(

Jason

You're all making this too complicated. If you use a cutting guide like George described, the edge of the guide is your reference point. You can mark out with a pencil, or knife, then check the guide for square, using the 3,4,5 rule, measuring diagonals, etc. before cutting. I think this will provide more than adequate accuracy to produce templates for dolls' house panels.

Brad

Latest posts

Back