Tool storage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morfa

Established Member
Reaction score
I have the hand tools storage side of things fairly well sorted out and most of my small tools fit inside a couple of normal tool boxes. But I have a small bunch of power tools that don't have boxes which are all stuffed in various cardboard boxes and piled in the corner of the utility room. It's pretty messy and doesn't use the space well or look after the tools properly. So I went looking for some new tool boxes. I found the standard Stanley stuff, including a trolley tool box for £100 or so. Not cheap and it'll probably fall apart soon enough. For a little more (actually not that much more) there's a number of systems from Festool, Bosch and Dewalt.

Also despite not being a tradesman, I'm a pretty keen DIYer and often get called to help family (my father in law hates DIY, so asks me to do stuff). So being able to move stuff around easily would be really useful. But it seems like you could load up a stack of systainers (or similar) on a trolley easily enough?

I don't really want to make a whole load of boxes myself, so that's sort of out. But stuff like this: http://www.benchworks.be/mftc.html does appeal. But I looked at the Festool stuff in detail and it's not going to be that cheap. I like to buy at what I call the 'savvy tradesman' point. i.e. the level of quality that would last long enough for trade work, but isn't festool madness, but at the same time isn't Titan/B&Q own brand cheap.

I was wondering if anyone has ever used the Really Useful Boxes for tool storage? A bunch of them do stack up and they're a lot cheaper than the same kind of plastic boxes from Festool etc. I could either use my trolley that I've already got or probably build something similar to that mftc above.

Or does anyone have any good suggestions for tool storage (not loads, plunge saw, ROSander, multi-tool, drill and a few other small bits and bobs)? Any good buys out there?

I moved everything into systainers a few years ago and have no regrets. They're not cheap, but if you're carting your gear around then anything that makes life easier is worth paying for, IHMO. Added bonus; they are extremely flexible and last well!

HTH Pete

Look for "Inter locking lid storage containers". They come in all sorts of sizes, stack well, and can be bought 2nd hand. (I've had some 2nd hand, clean and unmarked as new!) Go for industrial ones, much better than Homebase/Poundstretcher.

Bod

Hi Morfa
The dewalt system you looked at is pretty good and its certainly tough, but the dewalt tough system on the same site is better imho, boxes comparable price wise but the trolley makes it dearer, but its bomb proof with nice strong catches.

Of you're looking at boxes like really useful, take a look at Euro boxes as well. They are better made and have good carrying handles, they stack and you can choose to have lids that hinge or not etc etc. Lots of hospitals etc use them. The really useful boxes are clear which is nice for knowing what's inside. I have euro boxes for camping kit and these are all labelled. It's geeky but effective when you have 10 of them on a shelf.

petermillard":251hiu12 said:
I moved everything into systainers a few years ago and have no regrets. They're not cheap, but if you're carting your gear around then anything that makes life easier is worth paying for, IHMO. Added bonus; they are extremely flexible and last well!

HTH Pete

And you can stand on them for a bit extra height too :)

Storage for the 'keen amateur' seems to be a bit of a conundrum. It can be difficult to justify spending out for T Loc/systainer or L-boxx/Sortimo boxes but the cheapie DIY shed boxes are often too flimsy. I have around a hundred or so Really Usefull boxes for use in connection with one of my other hobbies. If you really want them I have found that B&Q online have good deals from time to time. From a personal point of view whilst the smaller sizes are good for storing odds and ends in the workshop I'd worry more about heavy and odd shaped power tools in them if moving them about. I broke one by droppping it outside my front door when it was empty!

I need to move tools around on a regular basis including movement over rough ground. Some years ago the local agricultural supply outlet was selling off Stanley metal and plastic boxes, the sort with a drawer at the bottom and a locker on top. I've two which hold 'big' tools (the size you need for working on railway wagons) and move them around on a cheap (Chinese) sack/trolley truck. Although they don't stack they have so far stood up to being dropped a number of times. (I know, it shouldn't happen but we all know it does.) Dropping boxes where the corner hits the ground first is usually a sure way of wrecking them. So far I've not identified a suitable alternative, although in my case it's more the size needed more than anything else.

I have a friend who also moves his tools on a regular basis but in the more genteel surrounding of National Trust properties and he has been very pleased with the L-boxx system from Bosch/Sortimo with the exception of the trolley which he considers expensive for what it is.

After looking around for a year or so now for the sort of storage system needed it seems to come down to making something for myself or biting the bullet and splashing out on one of the established box systems from continental europe.

Tony Comber

A definite thumbs-up for Really Useful boxes from me. I must have about 50 of the things about the house, with all sorts of stuff in them. For workshop use, I have several fairly flat ones with all the screws, nails, ironmongery 'bits' and so on in them, a couple of deeper ones with the glues, abrasives and finishes, and various other sizes with books, documents, household sundries, car care bits, decorating equipment and the Lord knows what else. The stackability is a real boon - you get quite a lot on a small patch of floorspace (though the thing you want is always in the bottom box!), and whilst I wouldn't really suggest that they'd stand up to regular trade use, for DIY type frequency of site work they're strong enough to last reasonably well, I think. The see-through ones are the best for me, it saves having to label what's in the box.

Those euro boxes look perfect. I can make them into a trolley with a small worktop on it, which will be perfect for using in the back garden as well, but they're useful storage without that anyway. Awesome. Lots of great suggestions.

I'm currently struggling work out how to fit a router table and/or table saw in my smaller than normal single garage (my workshop) alongside the green recycling containers and sundry tools (bandsaw, P/T etc) whilst also conscious I have to pack everything up next year when a house move is planned - both daunting prospects. :shock:

So, this topic is timely. Thank you to morfa and all contributors - lots of good ideas.

Mike I have a single garage (bigger than normal but full of camping kit, garden stuff and bikes) I bought an Axminster TS200 table saw. I made a bench to go above it (so it stores underneath). I made a base with casters so I can move it in and out etc. It works pretty well. However I do find trying to use it in the space I have very difficult. If I were doing it again I would consider a tracksaw.

Having had several damp garage workshops I've been using clip lock food containers for small things like drill bits, milling cutters and taps and dies etc. They come in a range of sizes, the Lock & Lock bacon boxes are a particularly nice size. Being air tight means anything stored in them won't go rusty especially if you put anti rust paper or silica gel in with them. They are slightly tougher than the really useful boxes but I do use those as well in larger sizes.

woodpig":1v6k7ujc said:
Having had several damp garage workshops I've been using clip lock food containers for small things like drill bits, milling cutters and taps and dies etc. They come in a range of sizes, the Lock & Lock bacon boxes are a particularly nice size. Being air tight means anything stored in them won't go rusty especially if you put anti rust paper or silica gel in with them. They are slightly tougher than the really useful boxes but I do use those as well in larger sizes.

That sounds interesting... I'll do a Google on these boxes. :D

Thanks Piggie.

As for systainers, I am thinking of disposing of mine completely. I might find space on a wall, (If I can find the wall!) to build a unit to take routers, and other portable power tools, in hutches.

I don't work on site these days, and in any case, I would never have been likely to use a Domino for instance, at someone's home. At the moment, whenever I want to use a Festool tool, I have to sort through the stack full systainers, to take out the tool I want. At the moment I just don't have space to tilt a systainer tower, just to get at the tool at the bottom!

I could store all the machines in separate places, but it doesn't make sense to have systainers, and not stack them altogether, in one tidy 'unit'. The only other alternative would be to make a unit that would house each full systainer in its own space. A lot of wall space for that, but it seems to be the best way for my shop. :mrgreen:

I came across these euro boxes which look very nice:

http://www.solentplastics.co.uk/portabl ... arrycases/

But I've not found anywhere which does transparent ones. After a bit more of a look at them the really useful boxes don't have many boxes that are the same width/length but different depths. Or ones which you could put side by side to stack well on larger boxes. Which is a pity. I think they're missing a trick there.

I have some of the Dewalt Tough System, the biggest and the smallest boxes at the moment. I won't be getting the dedicated trolley as I don't need it, but will be getting the mid size box soon.
They've brought out a drawer section as well which might be an option. They are super strong and regularly use the big one as a "hop up".
The seals are brilliant as I found out when I altered the workshop about as the boxes were left out in the rain, not a drop inside.
I got mine from our local Mac Tools guy, he had a deal on so saved a bit.
For information, the Mac guys sell Dewalt power tools and sometimes have on some decent deals. Another thing is they take weekly payments, so may be useful to some.

Until I build a wall cabinet for the hand tools that's my storage sorted. All the power tools are in their cases but that gets a bit tedious at times, but it does keep the dust and damp out of them.

Back