tool newb is very confused

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolfool

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've recently become a homeowner and recently gotten married. This means I now have things to fix and plenty of 'encouragement' to fix said things.

I've got a bunch of tools cobbled together over the years from necessity, but they're a complete mess; no boxes, no organisation and various sizes aren't present. I'd like to build a comprehensive collection so I can avoid the problem I had yesterday: needing to tighten a 13mm nut, and having everything but a 13mm spanner. Also this should mean everything has a home and I don't have to dig for hours in a box.

I'm really (and surprisingly) struggling to find comprehensive kits.

Here for example is a large set of spanners:

cant_post_link

which has everything from 6mm to 32mm... except 18, 29 and 31mm! I know these sizes exist, but I don't want to buy them separately because then I'd end up nearly back at square one: an almost-full kit, plus a couple of 'homeless' tools.

Does the following exist in the world of tools?:
-Sets that are complete within their advertised range (not bothered about extremes, like a 35mm spanner)
-Sets that don't have overlap (I don't want 2 or 3 hole cutters in a drill bit set, I'll buy a complete hole cutter set separately. I don't want 10 screw-bits in a socket wrench set)

Am I looking in the wrong places?
Am I expecting too much?
Am I just being stupid and missing something?
Is this the biggest scam in the world to force me to buy 3 sets of everything?

Any help appreciated!

The Law of Murphy applies with spanners. The nut or bolt you have to address will be the one size not available, no matter how many spanners you have. If the correct size is available, it will be the wrong sort - the correct ring spanner when only a (non-available) open-ender will do. Or the nut will be an old Whitworth one when you have every size of Metric spanner under the sun.

Adjustable spanners have their uses; but buy good ones. Bahco are good. Cheap ones will damage your nuts (nasty) or slip off, damaging your knuckles. Sometimes, wedging a coin between the nut and the jaw of a slightly oversized spanner can 'get you there' - but don't make it a habit!

phil.p":1azr4x9m said:
I find in day to day life nearly everything can be done with 10mm, 13mm, and 17mm.

I quite agree. Plus a couple of imperial spanners to suit the common domestic plumbing fittings

First, thanks for the advice re: adjustable spanners; I'll make sure to get a decent one.

Cheshirechappie":n85ij3dg said:
The Law of Murphy applies with spanners. The nut or bolt you have to address will be the one size not available, no matter how many spanners you have.

Hah ok, I accept that, but my point is that I want to buy sets of tools that meet these two requirements:
-has every size within the advertised range, no missing/skipped pieces
-doesn't include a bunch of related but different stuff that will be covered by other sets.
-complete kit so everything has a home.

Do these things actually exist?
On amazon I've just found a draper spanner set which is 8-19mm and has all 12 pieces. But they also have a 6-22mm set that's ALSO 12 PIECES?!? Spanners here is an example. It's the same with nearly every single thing I've looked for. Is there some secret shop that you only get access to once you've severed a thumb in blind rage?

phil.p":n85ij3dg said:
The reason that certain sizes (18mm, e.g.) of spanner are uncommon is is that certain sizes of nut and bolt are uncommon (18mm, e,g. :) ). I find in day to day life nearly everything can be done with 10mm, 13mm, and 17mm.

I appreciate that - It makes sense that they sell tool sets that cover 95% of normal use cases if space is an issue or people are carrying the tools with them. But as I've got a garage to store things, I want to cover 100% of normal use cases. I can't be the only person in the world who wants to know that they have one of every size tool (within a reasonable range) available in an organised location?

I know that you've asked about sets of spanners, but as a plumber I find wide jawed adjustable spanners by Bahco to meet all my requirements bar those nuts in fiddly places such as in boiler casings and under gas fires, and for those I use a tiny 4" adjustable. The Bahco 8" 9031 will open to about 35mm and the Bahco 6" 9029 will open to about 30mm.

Pete and Cheshire, thanks. I've taken your advice and ordered the Bahco 9029.

As I said, I'm building a tool collection so if you can either give me more good advise, or direct me towards a decent list of tips I'd be really grateful. I've had a look at the Buying Advice subforum but it seems fairly woodwork related.

I have the same issue with drillbits, socket wrench bits and all the rest so I'd love some more tips, but I guess you cant get an adjustable drill bit.

You definitely need a full set of spanner sizes if you go near a car - commonly used sizes on modern cars include 11,12,14,15,16,18 .
Also 7mm allen key + male and female spline torx etc and 12 point male - the list goes on and on..

Get a full set of combination spanners up to 20mm + the Bahco suggested above - I would suggest 3 adjustables if you can - small - medium - large - when not abused and not poorly adjusted they will do many jobs - just do not attack tight rusty fasteners with them .

I hardly ever do not have the tool I need, however it's taken 50 years to reach that state 8)

One thing that has not been mentioned regarding nuts ....... Mole grips !
........... Or failing that gas torch (hammer)

The key to efficient and happy working is being able to find everything you need when you need it. As a professional car mechanic I can vouch for that, I have worked with guys who just throw spanners back in the draws, that all well and good until you come to need said size again. See the the photo below of my socket draw, name you size and I can go to it blindfolded, this is because when I'm done with it it goes back in the same place every time.

17368973882_fac469efc3_b.jpg

Matt

Unfortunately duplicating tools within different sets is just how it is I'm afraid. Although I'd say personally I like having duplicates because you have a backup in case the first one breaks or gets misplaced mid job. Nothing worse than when you've got something in glue up but can't find your hammer/screwdriver etc that you need before the glue goes off half cocked

undergroundhunter":3maogk80 said:
The key to efficient and happy working is being able to find everything you need when you need it.
Your socket drawer is magnificent, and I agree that's the only way to work. Did you buy that as a set, or is it just a generic box where you keep everything organised? I was hoping for a moulded box where everything has its place. Either way, that box is a thing of beauty - teach me how its achieved because that's precisely how I like to operate.

Adam9453":3maogk80 said:
Unfortunately duplicating tools within different sets is just how it is I'm afraid. Although I'd say personally I like having duplicates because you have a backup in case the first one breaks or gets misplaced mid job.

My issue is that you'd end up with duplicates of 90% of your tools, but still having a few singles, which seems crazy. What drives me even more nuts is that so many sets aren't complete: 6-20mm but with no 13 or 17mm. So what, I buy the 13 and 17 separately.. where the hell do i put them... how do I find them quickly if they have no place in the box?! ARGGGGHH

phil.p":3maogk80 said:
Things missing from sets? Why do they nearly always miss out the 7mm Allen key? The one for brake callipers. It's a conspiracy.

I'm not even joking, it is a conspiracy. Its like being forced to buy a fully functioning brand new car with 3 wheels, then having to buy another just to get the final wheel, then being left with three spare wheels that have to be stored separately.

Having a complete set with one of each size can still leave you fumbling. I had a comprehensive set of sockets and then tried to change the front wheel on my bike, same size on each side, I had to buy an additional 17mm socket.

Jim

If you can afford it then I'd suggest buying nice empty tool storage cabinets, mechanics ones are cool and the snap on versions are the bee's knee's IMO. Once you have your empty cabinets, buy some decent foam to line the drawers. Then find a proper tool shop near you, they're often trade only so it's worth googling or asking local tradesmen where a decent tool shop is. A decent tool shop will sell single high quality tools aswell as sets, then it's just a case of buying every tool you desire and carefully organising in the foam lined draws, by size is usual. Happy buying and organising :)

Adam9453":2px3z8io said:
If you can afford it then I'd suggest buying nice empty tool storage cabinets, mechanics ones are cool and the snap on versions are the bee's knee's IMO. Once you have your empty cabinets, buy some decent foam to line the drawers. Then find a proper tool shop near you, they're often trade only so it's worth googling or asking local tradesmen where a decent tool shop is. A decent tool shop will sell single high quality tools aswell as sets, then it's just a case of buying every tool you desire and carefully organising in the foam lined draws, by size is usual. Happy buying and organising :)

Not sure if I can justify too much cost as I'm only starting out and I'm not sure how much action my tools will see but this sounds like the right way to go for quality. I do love spending money on nice things though.. And I don't think its right to have a garage without one of those red wheelie metal boxes full of tools is it?

jim_hanna":2px3z8io said:
Having a complete set with one of each size can still leave you fumbling. I had a comprehensive set of sockets and then tried to change the front wheel on my bike, same size on each side, I had to buy an additional 17mm socket.

Jim

So... you're saying buy two comprehensive sets? :)

Buy good quality tools as you need them. You are heading for a whole load of expense, and you will end up with so much stuff that you won't be able to find it when you need it - then you go and buy it again. Repeat cycle ad infinitum. Damhikt. :)

When I was a car mechanic the most used sizes were, 10,13,15,17 and 19mm. Has it really changed that much?

Back