Tool Cabinet - FINISHED

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You were dreading the doors? With all that you've accomplished previously here, they look like one of the easiest parts of the build - especially with your tool arsenal! :wink:

Look forward to seeing the finished job very soon then! :D

Waka - looking extremely good, glad the doors went onto the cabinet in the correct manner. I take it the issue we discussed was resolved? - Rob

woodbloke":2d7qquf5 said:
Waka - looking extremely good, glad the doors went onto the cabinet in the correct manner. I take it the issue we discussed was resolved? - Rob

Certainly was Rob, well nearly, there is a discrepancy of 1/32 between top and bottom.

Tony":usgckeuz said:
The doors look lovely Waka and really finish it off

Intrigued by
I take it the issue we discussed was resolved? -

Give me a call and tell all :wink:
[-( [-(...a discrepancy of 1/32" over that distance is more than acceptable - Rob

Beautiful Waka, although I am sure I am not alone in smiling a little to myself at the thought of someone spending all that time, effort and wood on a cupboard for the workshop!

Maybe when I'm retired...

I'm a little puzzled by the choice of piano hinge for the doors - it spoils the aesthetics for me. Brass butts or even concealed hinges would have looked better IMO.

Lovely job though.

Brad

BradNaylor":2tde00mi said:
Beautiful Waka, although I am sure I am not alone in smiling a little to myself at the thought of someone spending all that time, effort and wood on a cupboard for the workshop!

Maybe when I'm retired...

I'm a little puzzled by the choice of piano hinge for the doors - it spoils the aesthetics for me. Brass butts or even concealed hinges would have looked better IMO.

Lovely job though.

Brad

I've tried to follow the design of the original by Andy Rae who used piano hinges, I'm sure other types would have done as well if not better.

I know that Chris when he did his, used barrel hinges so there are a multitude of choices out there. I did notice that on the lower cupboard doors of Andy Rae's design he used concealed hinges, to me it didn't look right, so these hinges were never an option.

I must admit I felt the same about the hinges but they have grown on me. Soss hinges would have been nice but not sure how much weight they can take.

Are the same knobs being used for the doors?

Good Lord Waka! If I had built that I would have it in my living room! :shock: All I can say is absolutely beauitful mate, a work of art. :D

wizer":1bexw1xq said:
I must admit I felt the same about the hinges but they have grown on me. Soss hinges would have been nice but not sure how much weight they can take.

Are the same knobs being used for the doors?

Wizer

In the early days of construction I was going to have knobs on the drawers and even had them made, but I've now decided that with knobs on the doors it would not look right, they would stick out and look odd considering there are no visible knobs to match them with.

My door mechanism will be along the same lines as the drawers in the base section, push to open and push to close, having said that I haven't manage to source any that appeals to me, but I know their out there somewhere.

This will result in a completely flush fronted cabinet, nothing to catch things on or break off.

mailee":2tnomh50 said:
Good Lord Waka! If I had built that I would have it in my living room! :shock: All I can say is absolutely beauitful mate, a work of art. :D

Mailee

I tried the "can I put it indoors" ploy and it just didn't work, so in the workshop it will stay.

I have heard a few mutterings about something similar for HID's artwork etc, but haven't yet worked out what's in it for me.

Well, as the last post said this is the final one for the tool cabinet, there were times during this project where I couldn't see the end, but perserverence prevailed.

Doing the inserts for the doors was relatively easy. I have set these back slightly so I can get a really close fit between the two doors.

I'm not really one for hanging tools in doors, but in this case I have made an exception and I really think it has turned out well/

This doors shows all the squares.

IMGP3140.jpg

The opposite door with some of the saws.

IMGP3141-1.jpg

Weight wise I'm really impressed with the piano hinges, no movement at all with the doors open 180 degrees.

I have put one shelf in place, but I have also made an extra one just in case I need it, this will sit on top of the cabinet until required.

IMGP3142.jpg

My method of open/closing the doors is the push to open/close mechanism, got these from Sugatsune, only £1.70 each, they work really well and with the doors loaded they still give a 40 mm throw.

IMGP3143.jpg

So all nicely finished (I think).

Thanks for all your comments, I hope you've enjoyed watching the progress as I have making it. And for those of you that think that for a tool cabinet it's completely over the top, I'm inclined to agree with you.

But on the other hand I've learnt such a lot just making it that to me it was well worth the effort.

Next job is some picture frames for my daughter.

IMGP3139.jpg

Back