Tool Cabinet - FINISHED

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just noticed that it was your 8 month anniversary on this a couple of days ago, Waka! Do you have an estimated time for completion?

I just have this horrible vision of you you swinging a 6 foot sash clamp around in a hurry as a glue-up goes wrong.........and gouging a great gash in the front of this unit.

Mike

your just having the vision though, not wishing to happen hey? green eyed monster?? lol

only jesting

Think I said before, far too nice for tools, but why have exposed runners on the drawers if using so much beautiful construction and timber? Was it weight?

Mike Garnham":v3ohj4vw said:
I've just noticed that it was your 8 month anniversary on this a couple of days ago, Waka! Do you have an estimated time for completion?

I just have this horrible vision of you you swinging a 6 foot sash clamp around in a hurry as a glue-up goes wrong.........and gouging a great gash in the front of this unit.

Mike

Mike

4 months to go, what's a sash clamp?

Bloonose":2t1p5s23 said:
Think I said before, far too nice for tools, but why have exposed runners on the drawers if using so much beautiful construction and timber? Was it weight?

Depends on your tools.

Waka":2yb1lw5h said:
Bloonose":2yb1lw5h said:

Depends on your tools.
I had the privilege of seeing Waka's tool cabinet in detail last night. I won't make any comment (as I was asked not to) but would just say that it's excellent :wink: and really does compliment the tools - Rob

Well I will comment. The only real frustration I have with this forum is the insistence of some people to question people's reason for building nice tool cabinets.

Surely it's like anything, just because you don't like it, don't want one, don't feel it necessary doesn't mean for one second that people shouldn't build them.

We tend to forget sometimes that most of the people on here are hobbyists and are doing this for the sheer enjoyment of it, nothing more. Waka has some very expensive, beautifull (in both craftsmanship and aesthetics) precision tools and if he chooses to build a piece of furniture to store them in, why is that wrong?

Taken purely on its own merits this cabinet is, IMHO, very very nice to look at and the construction speaks for itself. While I am far too lazy to build the same myself, if someone offered to build one for me I wouldn't say no just because it is too good for my tools.

I'm not having a pop at anyone in particular here, just think it a bit strange that Waka has taken the time to post the WIP of this, and a large proportion of the comments about it are more around him 'wasting his time' making something so nice for his tools. Why don't we (as a collective, as I have been guilty of it myself in the past) just stick to commenting on the look and workmanship of it, and appreciating it for what it is? A nice bit of woodworking!

Anyway, rant over (work is really pi$$sing me off right now so needed to vent somewhere or I'll get the sack by the end of the day!!!) and I'll put my tin hat on and await the bombardment! ;)

***And BTW, this is just a daft rant because I'm surrounded by idiots in work, so feel free to ignore it as the rantings of a man teetering on the brink of losing his marbles completely...

TrimTheKing":2io1wh6h said:
Why don't we (as a collective, as I have been guilty of it myself in the past) just stick to commenting on the look and workmanship of it, and appreciating it for what it is? A nice bit of woodworking!

It is indeed a very nice bit of woodworking , and i'm in awe of Waka's skills - I would be very happy to have that in the house let alone the shop.
(Imo the people saying its too nice for tools are making a compliment not a criticism)

and yes you are right if waka wants to spend his time making lovely furniture to house his plane collect... sorry, tools then that is of course his pergotative.

I personally wouldnt spend that much time on a tool cabinet but thats because in my shop it would get covered in dust and damaged by flying bits of timber (coming off the lathe) - so my tool storage is much more prosaicly made out of mdf and ply (as is much of my in the house furniture :eek: )

Thanks for the support guys, much appreciated.

Regarding negative comments if that what they are (myself I think they are commenting on the quality) I value all comments positive or negative.

The time taken to put it together as commented by Mike is just over 8 months, but I've not been working on it continuously, I think work time would equate to a couple of months.

As to my reasons for building the cabinet, the first being that it would be nice to have one cabinet that housed all my hand tools and secondly its something that can be handed down to my eldest grandson and thirdly as a hobbyist I wanted to see if I had the skills to make something like this.

The other good thing is that I have learnt so much during this project that really made it worth it.

My remarks were definitely not a criticism of Waka's work, the complete opposite, I think the work he has done highly skilled and far to good for a very special, none the less, "tool cabinet", but that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it.
I never criticise anyone projects for style, it can be very hurtful, not everyone's taste is the same and there has been some right awful stuff posted,however well made, again IMO, but what's the point in trying to upset somebody. I do think after all the hard work Waka has put in, the side mounted runners spoil it slightly again IMO, I wondered if it was for weight but Waka has not said as far as I know?

Hi tony

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder , & Tony it's beautiful.

I have seen this tool cabinet at a much earlier stage when tony was kind enough to give me some off cuts of rose wood from it. When i went into his workshop one of the first thing that soon became apparent was his tool collection and how proud he is of them. (QUIT RIGHTLY SO )

As tony says his self he is a hobbyist , I am a fully trained tradesman and would be hard pushed to beat his effort here.

I have a full set of joinery tools plus many other various sets of tools as yet still to be housed in my own designed tool cabinet , i would be proud to copy this design with my own ideas and alteration to improve on it still further that is when i get the time .

None of my tools are to the standard of his , quality tools deserve a quality cabinet it will become a family heirloom hopefully going on for many years when all the mdf one have long gone .hc

Bloonose":3j21guc8 said:
My remarks were definitely not a criticism of Waka's work, the complete opposite, I think the work he has done highly skilled and far to good for a very special, none the less, "tool cabinet", but that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it.
I never criticise anyone projects for style, it can be very hurtful, not everyone's taste is the same and there has been some right awful stuff posted,however well made, again IMO, but what's the point in trying to upset somebody. I do think after all the hard work Waka has put in, the side mounted runners spoil it slightly again IMO, I wondered if it was for weight but Waka has not said as far as I know?

If you look at the cabinet all the drawers have side mounted drawer runners, not really sure why I went for these, probably because I know no better. Originally I was going to make the drawer bottoms as the runners but for some reason shied away from this, in hind sight it would have been a lot easier to do and aesthetically it would have looked a lot better, I guess this is how you learn.

Bloonose":20gt6qcv said:
I do think after all the hard work Waka has put in, the side mounted runners spoil it slightly again IMO, I wondered if it was for weight but Waka has not said as far as I know?

I must admit, I do agree with this comment.

You could in the future, make wooden runners that sit in the same gap between the drawer and casing. I too, dislike the idea of running the drawers on their bottoms (makes it sound like they have canine distemper). I have seen some nice ones made from maple where they are full extension with three interlocking parts on double dovetails, they'd fit in nicely if the interstitial piece was rosewood and the two main runners were beech

Aidan

I think Chris (Waterhead37) made wooden FE slides once ?

Waka":t3h835xx said:
Regarding negative comments if thats what they are (myself I think they are commenting on the quality) I value all comments positive or negative.

Personally I think Trim must have been having a "bad hair day"!

Waka, I think that you can take it for granted that the "too good for tools" comments are partly tongue in cheek and partly envy (like me)!

Great work and I'd love to own it. =D>

Tony Spear":1qtosz23 said:
Personally I think Trim must have been having a "bad hair day"!
Absolutely :lol: And that's particularly hard on a man with no hair :shock: But I got out of the correct side of the bed today so no more rants from me.

Tony Spear":1qtosz23 said:
Waka, I think that you can take it for granted that the "too good for tools" comments are partly tongue in cheek
I'm not going to fire up again, but this was partly the reason for me going off on one. I'm sure some of the comments were TIC, but all, I'm not convinced...anyway, peace and love to you all :lol:

Guys

I don't want anyone to get upset about comments, after all if I didn't want opinions I wouldn't have posted on the forum.

Not everything made is to everyones taste, what I thin k is good for my tools is not to everyones liking and I appreciate the comments that substantiate this.

As for the drawer runners I've looked at them form another perspective and partly agree that they do look unsightly, and with this in mind I'm contemplating changing them in the future (next month).

So feel free to express whatever views you have , me I've got broad shoulders and love feedback good or bad, after all I have martin just up the road.

Waka":3a1bms22 said:
As for the drawer runners I've looked at them form another perspective and partly agree that they do look unsightly, and with this in mind I'm contemplating changing them in the future (next month).

Hi Waka,

Great cabinet 8) 8)

As for the drawer runners, I think I'd be inclined to stick with the metal ones. It is, after all, a tool cabinet and tools weigh a lot (especially the number you have :lol: ). I reckon that, long term, the metal ones will wear better and give you less grief.

If you were putting it in the lounge, that would be a different matter.......

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Waka":37wkdb2w said:
... after all I have martin just up the road.
Waka - I'd suggest you leave the digestive biscuits in plain view next time Martin pops round...bound to get 'top drawer' feedback then. Hope the ref to drawers is appeciated :lol: - Rob

Back