Toilet flushing system

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tricky to set the water level, and impossible to fit in the small flush cisterns.
Never had an issue setting the level but yes I had forgotten that they now make cisterns a lot smaller to fit into the newer houses along with the pan, odd really as the pan shrinks the rearends are getting larger.

Again I would say that you are better of using just a good old fashioned ball cock, side or bottom feed and nothing to really go wrong, simple to change a rubber washer. Something like this.

View attachment 152963

and not like this

View attachment 152964
Thanks, yes I totally agree and wish I’d never changed from the old toilet! Converting this one would be impossible. 😄

Again I would say that you are better of using just a good old fashioned ball cock, side or bottom feed and nothing to really go wrong, simple to change a rubber washer. Something like this.

View attachment 152963

and not like this

View attachment 152964
The top ball valve is a part one BS1212 and is not up to the regulation’s now although you can still buy them?

Thanks
That’s what I thought. Was seeking advice for a better quality push button internal flushing system. The button itself is good. Just the cable mechanisms keep failing.
When I replaced my old ball-cock flush, many years ago, I fitted a Fluidmaster. It has worked really well ever since and the amount of water used is controlled by a sliding controller.
I would assume that, as long as the hole for the button-push is in the front of the cistern, it could be made into the old style. But I'm not sure wht anyone would want to.

I never like using a valve which has a plastic thread where the pipe from the mains connects, although I have fitted a few. Always concerned about over tightening and damaging the thread or not tight enough, particularly given the massive damage a leak can cause. Now I only fit ones with brass threads, just for my own peace of mind.

Also prefer syphonic rather than flap valves, if it wears it stops working rather than leak, but that is another story of stupidity.

You say your problem is with the cable operation, but it is possible to buy a flush valve where the operating mechanism is directly on top of the valve and alines with the hole in the top of the cistern, you will have to remove your cistern to install it and the twin buttons are fitted through the cistern lid and operate directly on the flush valve. You need to check your cistern before buying a new valve but if the button is directly over the flush valve you should be alright. Make sure whatever one you buy can be serviced in situ as you know, the rubber seals can start letting by esp if your in a hard water area.
BTW Ive not had any problems with the Torbeck type fill valves Ive fitted, however if you have low water pressure then a ball valve fills faster.
Steve.

the history of toilets is a wonderful adventure. the uk were making space age toilets in the seventies. toilets with double s curves and a siphoning bomb( the ones that when you flush seem to suck the poo away) as mentioned all parts were serviceable as well.

Looking for recommendations for replacement flushing mechanism for a toilet that's been giving me a lot of trouble. It has a button operated flush and was originally installed with a Torbeck variflush drop valve system by Opella with a partial flush and full flush option on the button. Apart from having to change the rubber washer quite frequently I've had to replace the whole mechanism twice in 10 years due to failure of the flush wire mechanism that attaches to the button. This has now gone again and I wondered whether
1. I am able to replace with any system and
2. Anyone can recommend something more robust.
Oh how I miss handle flush and ball valve!
Thanks
Caitriona

Thanks for all the advice and help on this. I ordered a Fluidmaster mechanical dual flush valve without cable from Toolstation yesterday afternoon (Sunday). Was not in stock but delivered to store this morning, collected and fitted. I’m very pleased with it and myself. It has a much sturdier feel to it than the previous ones.

Attachments

• 1AEAE5ED-8C3E-4E2E-B33F-6BDD850A9BAA.jpeg
    1AEAE5ED-8C3E-4E2E-B33F-6BDD850A9BAA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • BA28D987-C44E-4FE1-A8C4-8559A58B9E87.jpeg
    BA28D987-C44E-4FE1-A8C4-8559A58B9E87.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I've always found our top push button flush value never seals properly and there is a constant "stream" flowing into the bowl no matter how I've tried to tweak it.

You say your problem is with the cable operation, but it is possible to buy a flush valve where the operating mechanism is directly on top of the valve and alines with the hole in the top of the cistern, you will have to remove your cistern to install it and the twin buttons are fitted through the cistern lid and operate directly on the flush valve. You need to check your cistern before buying a new valve but if the button is directly over the flush valve you should be alright. Make sure whatever one you buy can be serviced in situ as you know, the rubber seals can start letting by esp if your in a hard water area.
BTW Ive not had any problems with the Torbeck type fill valves Ive fitted, however if you have low water pressure then a ball valve fills faster.
Steve.
Thanks, I’ve fitted a fluidmaster now without cable.

I've always found our top push button flush value never seals properly and there is a constant "stream" flowing into the bowl no matter how I've tried to tweak it.
Common in hardwater areas and many of these keep toilet clean products leave residue that prevents the valve from sealing.

Common in hardwater areas and many of these keep toilet clean products leave residue that prevents the valve from sealing.
I found I was having to replace the rubber washer on the flush valve regularly because of this. The new valve does not appear to have one of those.

the history of toilets is a wonderful adventure. the uk were making space age toilets in the seventies. toilets with double s curves and a siphoning bomb( the ones that when you flush seem to suck the poo away) as mentioned all parts were serviceable as well.
Yes indeed its like many things, facinating once you delve into them a bit. The americans love those Syphonic toilets and it must be said they do work well, a bit unnerving as you watch the bowl fill with water before the syphon kicks in and sucks the lot away with a hearty whoosh. We have dabbled with them over here but my brother who has worked on a couple said they can be tempermental,with I seem to recall he said a little jigger or valve of some sort having to operate to make them work?
However the American flush valves is an altogether different beast, a massive brass valve sitting on top of 11/2ins pipe with a little toggle lever on the side, a flick of the lever gives a blast of mains presure water, in quick succession as often as you like, a bit aggricultural but very effective.
Steve.

Back