Toilet flushing system

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caitrionahoran

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations for replacement flushing mechanism for a toilet that's been giving me a lot of trouble. It has a button operated flush and was originally installed with a Torbeck variflush drop valve system by Opella with a partial flush and full flush option on the button. Apart from having to change the rubber washer quite frequently I've had to replace the whole mechanism twice in 10 years due to failure of the flush wire mechanism that attaches to the button. This has now gone again and I wondered whether
1. I am able to replace with any system and
2. Anyone can recommend something more robust.
Oh how I miss handle flush and ball valve!
Thanks
Caitriona

I would use a simple lever and syphon and none of these flap valve and or button gimmicks. They have been around for decades and are just a simple solution to flushing.

I would only fit the type where you can remove the syphon assembly from inside the cistern without disturbing the flush pipe or having to remove the cistern in the case of close coupled.

These are great and adjustable Adjustable Turbo 88 | Syphons - TYDE

or these are fixed Fixed Height Turbo 88 | Syphons - TYDE

but both can be removed easily. Also bear in mind they are your overflow and you need to set them up correctly.

I would use a simple lever and syphon and none of these flap valve and or button gimmicks. They have been around for decades and are just a simple solution to flushing.

I would only fit the type where you can remove the syphon assembly from inside the cistern without disturbing the flush pipe or having to remove the cistern in the case of close coupled.

but both can be removed easily. Also bear in mind they are your overflow and you need to set them up correctly.
Thanks, the toilet is close coupled. I’m thinking I would have to completely replace it or replace the cistern to use a lever flush. Is this correct?

I would second the use of Dudley siphons. I have had problems one of my toilets for a few hearted and replaced a like for like which was cheaper. But have just recently fitted the Dudley, and it was very easy to set up and feels solid and precise when flushing. Of course this is only a month or so, but I am very impressed with it so far!!

I would second the use of Dudley siphons. I have had problems one of my toilets for a few hearted and replaced a like for like which was cheaper. But have just recently fitted the Dudley, and it was very easy to set up and feels solid and precise when flushing. Of course this is only a month or so, but I am very impressed with it so far!!
Thanks, can I replace a button flush with a lever flush and keep the same cistern?

I use Fluidmaster when changing flushing mechanisms mainly because it’s what my local plumbers merchants sell but I’ve not had problems with them though I don’t like them as much as traditional syphons.
Problem is if your push button is in the cistern lid then you can’t fit a lever so you’ve got to replace like for like.

https://www.fluidmaster.com/united-kingdom-part-type/flush-valves/

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
You can't replace a push button with a lever as this would require drilling a hole in the side of the cistern (best of luck with that if you try!).
Thanks
That’s what I thought. Was seeking advice for a better quality push button internal flushing system. The button itself is good. Just the cable mechanisms keep failing.

Yes no lever for you, unfortunately most of the button systems are not brilliant and flap valves should be banned on enviromental grounds as so many do not fully seal and seep which over time adds up to water wastage.

All you can do is replace with another, but unlike the days of the proven lever we have lost some of the universal fitting where you could use the part on any cistern we have gone in some cases custom. This might fit Victoria Cable Operated Dualflush Valve | Outlet Valves - TYDE
but take the old one to a plumbers merchant, not the likes of B&Q etc etc and they should help.

Thanks Colin
I see Toolstation stock these. Have you got one fitted a few years Ago and not had any problem?
Caitriona

I replaced the leaking flush mechanism that came with a toilet in our old house with a Fluidmaster dual-flush valve and also added their brass shank fill valve, both of which were still in place years later when the house was sold. Would highly recommend, as they are very easy to fit and adjust

Sean

Again I would say that you are better of using just a good old fashioned ball cock, side or bottom feed and nothing to really go wrong, simple to change a rubber washer. Something like this.

1675855486982.png

and not like this

1675855634100.png

Thanks Colin
I see Toolstation stock these. Have you got one fitted a few years Ago and not had any problem?
Caitriona
It replaced the original cheapo from Victoria Plumbing that lasted only a year. It was in for about 2 years when we moved and was fine. The plumber friend who advised me to get one had never had a failure with one.
He did say that if they wear parts are also readily available and easy to fit.

Colin

Again I would say that you are better of using just a good old fashioned ball cock, side or bottom feed and nothing to really go wrong, simple to change a rubber washer. Something like this.

View attachment 152963

and not like this
But how would you fit that in a bottom entry cistern such as the OP has & how are you going to ensure it meets regulations regarding air gap, there’s good reasons why part1 ball valves such as you suggest are no longer used as they don’t comply with regs & part 2 ball valves have superseded them.

But how would you fit that in a bottom entry cistern such as the OP has & how are you going to ensure it meets regulations regarding air gap

just a good old fashioned ball cock, side or bottom feed

The air gap is only needed to prevent reverse flow, with the current 6 litre flush capacity you have a visible air gap greater than required between the water level and the discharge point from the valve. The ones that will no longer comply are the type with the plastic tube that sat into the water to make it quieter.

If you are really worried about reverse flow then just fit a one way valve into your supply pipe, the type used in for example boiler filling loops.

Back