Time For a SketchUp Challenge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SketchUp Guru

Established Member
Reaction score
We haven't done one of these for a long time so I think it is time. The challenge is simple. Start with a single circle and create a turned shape similar to my example using only the Move and Push/Pull tools. No other tools are allowed or needed. This might seem like an advanced thing but I think this is one of those basic things that SketchUp users should know how to do. And it really isn't all that advanced.

I only softened edges for the curve. Was it admitted? Do I need to say how I did it...or maybe I wait for that...

Attachments

• Challenge.jpg
    Challenge.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 726
Don't laugh Luca or anyone, this is from a guy in his early days of SU. The file won't download how do I do it? It's an skp file.
Gerry

spiderg":1vcm2yxb said:
Don't laugh Luca or anyone, this is from a guy in his early days of SU. The file won't download how do I do it? It's an skp file.
Gerry

While in SU with your model open click File > Export > 2D model. Then upload the PNG file you just created.

JPG are more suited to photo's. To keep things simple, if your saving graphics rather then photo's, a better file format is PNG, no chance of compression noise, better image quality, plus generally you get lower file sizes for higher quality results.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. :roll:

But you can get either out of SketchUp. And the compression isn't a problem for images that are going to be posted on a forum anyway.

Here's a beginners attempt, if nothing else I might get some feedback from you professionals.

Gerry #-o

Attachments

• challenge.jpg
    challenge.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 643
  • challenge.jpg
    challenge.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 638
Looks interesting although it's kind of small so it is hard to tell what all you have going on. Did you paint the outside surfaces blue? It looks like they are inside out. Keep up the good work.

Nope, I'm completely 'flummoxed' Dave, I ended up with a second rate scribble like Hudsons, I did note that it seemed to be quieter than some others drawings though #-o

Yes, I did paint a couple of bits, simply because I didn't know how to put shadows on it.

Gerry :oops:

To activate shadows you can go to the "View" menu and select them. To manage them you can put them in the toolbar via the "View" menu and Toolbars.

That's a good start Gerry, did you use only Push/Pull and Move/Copy as indicated by Dave?

Attachments

• shadows.jpg
    shadows.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 576
  • shadows2.jpg
    shadows2.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 576
spiderg":2um29mgr said:
Here's a beginners attempt, if nothing else I might get some feedback from you professionals.

Gerry #-o

Must have taken you ages to get them perfect curves using only the push/pull and move tool. Some patient's needed.

Dave,

here's another attempt - may not pass as a "turned" item? Its also a bit ragged

But a good exercise to understand these two tools.

Dave

Attachments

• candlestick.jpg
    candlestick.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 567

Latest posts

Back