Timber Workshop business insurance headache!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kemo_2002

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a timber frame workshop on my garden which is used for personal and business use, th business side is for the use and storage of around 10k worth of equipment.

Ive had a quote for around £400 for liability and contents is this reasonable? its through a broker as all the 'mainstream' companies wont touch it because its timber :cry:

i tired my local NFU branch and the lady was really unhelpful, i asked about liability ins too, and she said i had to have 3 years trading (i only have 2) i then asked just about the contents cover for workshop and she didnt want to know!

We have an all-timber house, and MoreThan were quite happy to insure it.
NFU gets rave reviews everywhere, but have to say when I contacted them they were not that helpful. You'd think they would have plenty of experience of insuring farm buildings made of all sorts of materials!

I looked at morethan but they dont seem to offer it for business, im really having to be careful reading small print, they all seem to say outbuilding must be stone/brick/metal

Its easy to see how people get caught out!

i am really struggling!

Kemo

I have a brick garage (now workshop) attached to the side of my house and have my contents for the workshop insured up £12,500, it is with Aviva.
I've been with them for years, the premium is just under £400 a year.
I found it very hard to get an insurer who would go above the statuary amount they normally quote, where in most cases this wouldn't even cover a machine, let alone it all.

Latest posts

Back