Things you can't dent with the spouse

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My better half says "I'll put the washing on after having my bath" no matter how many times I explain that the washing machine is cold fill only and has no effect on the temp of the bathwater.

I actually know the difference between how men and women think.......

Men think logically..... the end :ROFLMAO:

Same old thermostat problem!! - and something else of the same ilk.

Many years ago, before LED torches, I kept a number of old fashioned white candles in a drawer in the kitchen for use in the rare event of a power cut. You've guessed it - when the power cut eventually came I headed for the kitchen drawer in the dark to find the candles had disappeared. On questioning the other half the answer was " They've been in that drawer for so long and we've never used them so I threw them away"!!

....maybe that's an american saying "can't make a dent in".

Hopefully nothing serious here, just humorous things. My spouse is a master at adopting procedures or routines and doing them perfectly over and over. Such things make my head hurt and I get confused (different brain type).

But her spatial and analytical on-the-spot thinking - not so great.

One thing I can never make a dent in is that she believes that the colder it gets outside, the higher you need to set the thermostat. The trouble with this is that it's a thermostat, not an output meter. I cannot convince her that the thermostat will heat the spot next to the thermostat to 70 degrees if she sets it at 70 whether it's 10F or 50F outside.

The opposite is true with A/C. The whole system for the main house is either on or off. She believes that the higher or lower you set the needle if you want a quick change in temp, the faster and harder the system will run. I cannot convince her otherwise, probably because wives tend to trust answers only from people they're not married to.

Anyone here have anything they can't make a dent in with the spouse?
Some years after I disconnected the thermostat, I disconnected the radiators...

Something O forgot to say was not so much about thermostats, but windows.

Central heating on, "Oh, It's a bit stuffy in here" so windows get thrown open to 'get some air'.

One thing I've found from it is that it take a hell of a long time to heat the garden! and if I'm second in the shower room for a wash I could well be outside because the window has been opened because it gets so damp in there! Plus, going to the loo is like using an outside jobbie :eek::eek:

Here's a quote for you: only Liberace could afford to heat the outdoors on purpose.

Spouse is also a throw-away artist. Device cords that are proprietary ("that must be an old phone cord, it doesn't fit my phone and I know i've seen it for years")

Yes, it's the proprietary USB cord for the portable harddrive that has both our PC backups on it as well as all of your old photos.

"oh, I threw the cord away".

Don’t you have a box with decades worth of old cords/chargers/batteries in? I thought everybody does......

We just went through that, actually. The spouse has kept a drawer full of old phones and cords, and wanted to go through them. I encouraged dumping all of them, especially anything proprietary. What resulted was the kids thinking the old flip phones and such are novel (my spouse's concern with each was the need to harvest pictures, thus no throwing the phones or cords away).

At any rate, the kids have latched on to two flip phones and their absurd chargers (with connections that seem almost as wide as a serial port connector on a computer) and they can't grasp the idea that they're not touch screen. It's like they're looking at dinosaur bones, or something.

But the result of everything else was stunning - and done without me knowing. Each wall charger and separate:
* micro USB
* mini-usb
* usb type3
* apple type USB connector

....each was labeled to a particular phone, and I have made no dent in the idea that there four types rather than a dozen connectors, or that a 5 volt wall plug to attach to a USB is universal. So *every single cord and wall plug now has a piece of tape naming the associated device*.

I have been accused of stealing the charger for "the old purple phone" because I needed a mini USB cord after the kids stole the one I have in my office.

(the purple phone needs to have the pictures taken from it).

"you'll lose that cord and I'll never be able to get the pictures off of the phone!!!"

Attempts at describing the end connectors and showing that certain types are identical were met with interruption and no success.

I had no idea the thermostat disease was so widespread. My mother grew up on a farm and therefore understands basic mechanical/spatial things and the concept that turning the heat down is more sensible than open the windows to offset the furnace.

Never once observed my mother adjust the thermostat for any reason other than that she wanted the room temperature to match it (and not to try to make a warmer 72degrees F because it got colder outside).

The accounts of thermostat doctoring here have been astounding!

(I've gone so far as to show the mrs. the temperature of objects in the room with a non-contact thermometer, but I think she believes it, too, is affected by the weather outside and that 70F is different depending on the outdoor temp).

Lest anyone think I'm exaggerating about the phones:

The twist tie is on to discourage taking and using elsewhere.
20210218_095823_copy_1080x1440.jpg

When I see my partner this evening I am going to give her a big kiss and tell her how wonderful it is that she isn't as bad as the ladies you lot have to put up with!

Back