Thicknesser. Is it the one machine you couldn't be without?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never noticed any safety issues with the Coronet type of planer thicknesser,BUT the thicknesses was a total pain to use. Spent a lot of frustrating hours trying to push slightly resiny stock through one.

I have the Record Power version of the 260, which is currently gathering dust in my workshop. When i moved house i built a much smaller workshop and it's a struggle fitting everything in without constantly moving stuff around, which i find a pain in the whatsit. I either need to sell or build an extension to my shop.

The PT does a sterling job when it's up and running.

Waddaya think? Any suggestions on a sensible top price to offer? Steel beds? Age guesses by model perhaps?

Thanks!

R7tIdCK.jpg

Probably not? Truthful answer is no. Have no idea about electrickery.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/scheppach-HMS ... 1873741766
Heres the listing. It does say underneath in the sellers information its 240v Maybe there's an inverter attached?
Nothings easy is it? Sale ends in 5 hours. No pressure lol! :D

This seller can deliver which would be well handy but I'm in no mad rush to get one. Might even be an idea to wait till after christmas in the dead month of January. My mrs doesn't even try selling stuff on ebay in Jan/Feb. Might be a bit different with a bit of kit like this though.

Quick question... Those Dewalt portable p/t's anygood? 733 seems to have pretty good reviews.
pester pester pester.
Sorry.

Bm101":jyw14mgp said:
Probably not? Truthful answer is no. Have no idea about electrickery.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/scheppach-HMS ... 1873741766
Heres the listing. It does say underneath in the sellers information its 240v Maybe there's an inverter attached?
Nothings easy is it? Sale ends in 5 hours. No pressure lol! :D

This seller can deliver which would be well handy but I'm in no mad rush to get one. Might even be an idea to wait till after christmas in the dead month of January. My mrs doesn't even try selling stuff on ebay in Jan/Feb. Might be a bit different with a bit of kit like this though.

Quick question... Those Dewalt portable p/t's anygood? 733 seems to have pretty good reviews.
pester pester pester.
Sorry.

Looks good to me, been looking around for one of those (any brand will do me).

the dewalt is only a thicknesser though

Ah ok, thanks, they seem to be advertised ad T/Ps. Many thanks

I hope you used gixen for your bidding! (might not be the time to suggest it just before a bidding deadline).

Anyone want to buy a Japanese chefs knife? :shock:
Well it went for £356 in the end. Balls. And yeh Robin, sniped.
Live to fight another day. :D
Now I'm going for the January market...

One bit of advice that I didn't see anyone mention in this thread so far is required accessories. Well, two bits of advice:

- Get a decent chip extractor, because a P/T delivers a huge quantity of chips very fast. I have one which is underpowered compared to my P/T, and if I could buy all over again I'd spend twice as much, because little is more frustrating in woodworking than spending thirty seconds actually doing things to wood and then spending ten minutes with your hand up a 100mm tube clearing a jam because you took off too much in one pass. I can and do work around it, it's doable with a cheap extractor, mind.

- Get decent ear defenders, because between the two machines you will be making quite a bit of noise! If you get induction motor models (I'm pretty sure that Scheppach is) then it's not so bad, but you still don't want to expose yourself to it for too long. I like these ones personally - so much that I bought a second pair for the office so I can still get some work done while the boss is on the phone. Believe it or not he's more distracting than my planer/thicknesser...

defsdoor":1cjk85hw said:
Is that 3 phase ? You ok with that ?

If you're looking at the plug/socket, I get the impression that quite a bit of German woodworking equipment comes with Schuko sockets on the machine to connect to the power. Certainly my Metabo P/T does, and I've seen it on other pictures as well. Schuko sockets look vaguely like the sockets we use for 16A supply or three-phase in that they're round and about the same size, but it's just the German equivalent of the best plug in the world - standard supply voltage.

Little update. Just won a dewalt dw1150... (Yay!) Looks in reasonable nick. Paid £211 for it. If it runs well should be more than ample for my needs. Hoping I got a bit of a steal at that price? Any opinions? I can post a link later. On my phone at the moment and that's beyond me. EBay on my phone is a pita. Funny enough it was my phone pinging with a message from UKw that made me remember to bid. Had (a long!) 10 minutes spare to bid. Pulled over on Prince Albert Road and chanced it. In my foolish way this makes me think the stars have aligned and I've got a dream machine I was destined to own. Could any one reassure me or let me down gently? Just having a quick Guinness to celebrate either way. :D
Cheers!
Chris

Back